Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

When does it start to get cold and what equipment is needed ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

jordan

Hi I have been on the poles for 6 months now and haven't actually cleaned with the pole setup through the winter cant wait lol Not!

I have cleaned traditional through winter and that was horrible but I got through it !

Anyway I have a van system and I just plug my outside hosepipe into my van and fills overnight roughly 5 hours !

surely in the winter my outside hose will freeze? and maybe even my tank inside the van might freeze?or even my ports at the back of the van will too?

is there anything I can do to prevent anything freezing through winter ?

how about bringing some equipment inside the house every night like water containers wet towels and poles?

I normally start work at 8am-4 so might start cleaning 930-4

Thanks any help would be appreciated

Cleaning with wfp in winter is a lot easier than trad in my experience. If you live where the temps drop to or below zero it's worth heating your water. I never used to enjoy working in winter before making the switch but I do now.

If your van is parked close to your house, put an oil filled radiator in the van overnight. That should stop everything freezing up. If you can't do that I'd recommend draining everything down when you finish. Don't leave water in pumps especially. The water in your tank probably won't freeze as there is too much of it.

depends where you are in the country , oil fill rad will stop the van from freezeing over night water shouldn't if on the move however ive seen it freeze when moving when I was training in Russia so it does happen but unlikely here

if your posh like me ive a night heater fitted in my van the same as what lorry drivers use inb there cabs but that because I am to lazy to put a rad in and I like to able to work away with the van and park it anywhere knowing it wont be soild in the morning

As above, radiator overnight should stop it freezing. insulate any pipes and pump and battery.

Bring hose reel and backpack inside.

oh, i always run the system dry by pulling the feed pipe out of the tank and switching on the pump and spraying water out of brush until its dry.

As above, radiator overnight should stop it freezing. insulate any pipes and pump and battery.
Bring hose reel and backpack inside.
you do all this and still put a rad inside ???? I would be buying a better rad if I were you

well insulating pipes, battery etc is a one time operation.

and lifting a hosereel and backback out of the backdoors into my kitchen must take all of 15 seconds (but like i said above if i dont think its gonna be that cold i just run it dry)

the rad isnt on all night, i put it on a timer just to take the chill off,, save on the leccy!

my vans parked on the driveway btw about 5 steps from my backdoor

well insulating pipes, battery etc is a one time operation.
and lifting a hosereel and backback out of the backdoors into my kitchen must take all of 15 seconds (but like i said above if i dont think its gonna be that cold i just run it dry)

the rad isnt on all night, i put it on a timer just to take the chill off,, save on the leccy!

my vans parked on the driveway btw about 5 steps from my backdoor
you must be from the north if your have to save leccy lol

Just drained the pump, bought hose reel, and pole inside and put a 500w fish warmer in the tank.

Also drained ro, insulated it and put di vessel inside.

''Tis cold here.

I fitted an immersion heater to my previous tank which was great and water kept quite warm until mid afternoon, I now have a tucker tank which has more baffle compartments and a smaller filler neck and cant fit immersion in this so have insulated the van through out instead, A small oil rad heater in the back will protect the pumps and stop the hoses from freezing

I find the worst thing for freeing is hoses , many a time I've removed the end of the hose poured how water over the reel then what up the pump then watch all the frozen pure slosh out,I've managed to work at -4 until it froze on the windows

How are people getting power in to there vans for these heaters, can't shut doors with extension lead in the way and don't want window in van left open all night.

The window is only left open a crack in my flat and my van has a sliding door so I just close it. Worked fine on Monday at -1

Oil filled rad on low all night. My van door closes on the extension cable no problem. Do it every day to run the booster pump .

Back