Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning hard to reach windows

Rich wain

Hi guys

Im thinking of starting my own window cleaning business, I've done my research from technique, canvassing and equipment, but the only thing I'm struggling to find information on is cleaning windows on the first floor with a roof below (as in image) would it be best to clean from the ground with an extention pole or from ladders with pole, also how would you go about wiping the frame and sills on these types of windows? I want customers to look at their window and be pleased and not just think I've done half a job

Also any tips and tricks for newbies to window cleaning would be appreciated

Thank you
houses_2946635b.jpg

I would probably put my ladders on the brick between and reach out. Otherwise put the ladders to the side of each. It doesn't look to me like they have any sills to speak of, so no probs there. I wouldn't mind a road of houses like these. If you are going to clean the frames every time, make sure you put that into your price, in my experience frames have to be washed not just wiped, and that will add a bit more time (and will need a bit more effort). Personally I would not do the frames every time, unless asked for.

doing tops like this get a water fed pole back pack a small di resin vessel bag of di resin and some 25 litre drums to put water in with this you can get the tops easy safely and quickly and sills to you need any more advice post a thread i do all my tops wfp and bottoms trad oh and a water fed pole brush

Either wfp them, or just dig the ladder into the grass and use a ladder as normal, that's what I always do, or put the ladder above the windows so as to make the angle less severe

That is very easy with a ladder or for a maintenance clean wagtail on a pole and wipe sill over with the wagtail scrubber pad

I was going to say up the ladder and carefully put it on the gutter preferably on a bracket but as rugby said inbetween so you can do the two off one climb is a time saver..

sometimes if you get it right it also rests mid point on the gutter below so takes out any bounce..

anyway just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum @Rich wain /emoticons/biggrin.png

and keep us informed of your progress..

Seriously why struggle with ladders when there are better ways to do awkward jobs like that.

WFP methods being in my opinion the best option on properties like that. Bish bosh the whole row of fronts could be done in no time on a regular clean. Might take a bit longer to do the backs due to access/back gates etc but would still be easy money than risking yer neck up & down ladders all day long.

2 aluminium stoppers that we use on decking. Dig the spikes into the ground & rest ladder on seal. Same principle as a mate footing it.

Or as said put ladder to side of window & do each one like that.

I've got myself a Ladder-Max too @H-Man after seeing your vid.

Looks similar but is the multi pro corner standoff version. Meaning it also came with different size extension arms so have the option to be swapped over for different tasks. Downside I’ve found it’s quite heavy though especially doing 2 storey work.

Microlite and the other type @daveyboy1 uses are also good standoffs to help stabilise to top of the ladder. I still think you can't beat an ankalad to help stabilise the ladder whilst working on your own though.

QUOTE="H MAN, post: 246845, member: 4529"]If you have no other option but to use a ladder.

Especially when doing builders cleans or first up cleans.

Would suggest using this on the ladder.

Keeps the ladder more stable and safer the work on.

This is an stand off we bought from the states (USA)

Think you have something similar version in the UK?

[media]

[/media]

View attachment 4728 you can either use a trad pole or a ladder leant againgst the brickwork to do those type of windows. whatever you do dont shy away from doing them or itll cost you the job

Last edited:
With that pic thereI would probably use my long pointer with the end on the facia board, and dig the heels into the grass a little.

I don't like trusti g my weight on a fascia board as they can be rotten behind but the brickwork is fine

Resting ladders on fascias can and do give way for sure @daveyboy1. Also only a numpty would rest a ladder on guttering too.

I don't like trusti g my weight on a fascia board as they can be rotten behind but the brickwork is fine

Guttering, never. But facias IMO can be judged on the day and approached with caution. The pic put up shows a new build so the chances of rot are zero. It might not even be wood. But when wood is used you can get an idea by the general condition of them. Have they been overpainted lots of times?.. is the wood nice and flat or is it bumpy?.. is there flex?.. does it feel spongey?.. You can usually feel this feel a lot of this through the ladder on the first couple of steps. Just basic situational awareness. Every job must be approached with this manner and as always with trad cleaning, its a risk, you might not be able to eliminate the risk, but you can reduce it. The alternative of going for the brickwork in this pic could increase your chance of slipout from the bottom due to the angle you will have to use to bypass the bay. Its all a balancing act that can only be judged on the day when you can see and feel it for yourself and use good judgement.

on the subject of ladders. I wouldnt use a normal ladder on that facia as the ends would damage it. Ladder mitts would make it unsafe as only the tips will make contact, so they are a no no too. But the pointer is wedge shaped at the top and wedges just nicely under the guttering, while the rubber pad helps it grip (when dry) whilst protecting the facia.

If you look at the second house along in the pic you will get a better idea what sort of angle you would have to set a ladder at even resting it on a bit of the fascia using a pointy ladder.

If you look at the second house along in the pic you will get a better idea what sort of angle you would have to set a ladder at even resting it on a bit of the fascia using a pointy ladder.
Exactly. I'd be happier using it on the facia then the brickwork on that job. The facia acts as a sort of stand off. In fact because it is higher, it brings you back even further at the top end then a standoff would. Another good thing about a pointer ladder is it is out of the way of your shoulders so you don't have to lean to reach the glass.

I don't understand why, if this is 'Traditional Window Cleaning', people come on and start harping on about wfp. I would think that if you were just starting out, that would be the last thing to get.

Back