Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to fix light scratches on a tempered glass

DannyB

Hi everyone,

Today a have managed to slightly scratch a tempered glass pane while trying to remove some white spots on it with a green scrub pad. I promised a custie to fix it when I'm doing her house next time.

Can I easily fix the problem with a glass scratch repair kit? Any experience will be most appreciated.

No one has replied yet, but this is what I've found elsewhere:
How to remove scratches from tempered glass | eHow UK

I'd recommend it to anyone, who's - like me - unlucky enough to have scratched a tempered glass pane.
hi danny,i used to do this a long long while back,that article is pretty much **** on,

first get hold of some jewelers rouge,an old dolly peg and snap in half so you have a wooden strip,mark the opposite ie inside of the glass with a marker pen,if its one stratch make two lines with the marker pen (this tells you where the scratch is)

mix the rouge up with a bit of water to make a cream,with the chamfered side of the dolly peg apply the rouge and slowly run up and down the scratch.

its a laborious job and you need to keep checking on progress and be carefull you don't create a dishing effect where the glass has a dip where you've been working,a soft pencil rubbed into the scratch will hide the smaller marks

toothepaste is v good as a final buff and does remove fine marks from pvc also its not a bad cleaner for the pvc

hope this helps buddy

That's a lesson for me, I've grabbed those green scrub pads (usually from the customers sink) a few times when I've been doing inside kitchen windows...shame as they are great at shifting the fat/soap splatter and it saves getting cooking grease on my applicator...what's a safer substitute to use?

That's a lesson for me, I've grabbed those green scrub pads (usually from the customers sink) a few times when I've been doing inside kitchen windows...shame as they are great at shifting the fat/soap splatter and it saves getting cooking grease on my applicator...what's a safer substitute to use?
Viro Sol or Ubik 2000 and steel wool for tougher stuff?

Steelwool 0000 is my go to, really great for kitchen windows and the like. Bronzewool can do it too.

Back