Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Varistream Or Any Other Flow Controllers. Do We Need Them

WCF

Help Support WCF:

tonylephard

I am new to WFP so please bear with my ignorance. I have a two person setup and one have a varistream and the other does not. I use aqua locks on both poles. Both stop water flow when aqualocks is activated. If I need reduce the pressure I simply turn the aqualocks slightly and then on fully to rinse. Can anyone explain why I need a flow controller?

What I find is the person with the flow control has it on full and controls the water flow with the aqua lock. This gives them plenty of water when rinsing. I understand that you can't adjust the waterflow when you are on second story+ windows. I suppose that you could fit a tap and turn that on slightly to control water flow. I would love your feed back am I missing the point someware?

flow cons r good cos u can turn them down for different jobs no need to have ur water above 50 on con realy, causees more probs when water on flat out an its a waste of water an resin ,50 max i say on a pure freedom flow con

In the early days (8 years ago) we found that the Shurflo pumps were pumping too much water. We used 1/2" garden hose and 3mm jets on our brushes. Even so, we found that a 65psi pump cycled due to this water over supply and the pressure switches failed prematurely. At £22 a time, they were an expensive replacement part. (We didn't know about the Maplin replacement microswitch at £2.00 back then.)

On the advise of Williamson's Pumps, I replaced the 5.2lpm 65psi pump for a 3.8lpm 100psi Shurflo pump. It reduced the cycling issues, but the higher pressure played havoc with the Hozelok hose reels and water connections.

When Williamson's brought out the first Varistream we bought one and have used them ever since. We are still using the second analogue Varistream we bought when we 'commissioned' my sons van in 2007. Williamson's brought out the Varistream to bypass the weak pressure switch. (12vdc current is very aggressive on switch contacts. One supplier suggested we buy 12v 30 amp relays that the pressure switch will activate at minimal current, and, at £3 a piece, quick and easy to replace. But this doesn't address the high water wasteage.)

Since then equipment has improved no end with minibore and microbore hose, much better hose reels and fittings. I like the fact that with the controller I chose what flow I need.

When we first began with wfp I used about 500 litres of water a day and had usually ran out by 3.00. When I fitted the first Varistream to my system I did more houses a day, worked until about 5.00, and really used more than 400 litres a day.

Because of our positive experience, I would recommend a flow controller as a must to everyone.

i saw a guy in exeter cleaning with no flow con the water was gushing out an the street was complety fluded i thault it that was some custmers house they would not b happy just my thault,another thing is i uped my flow to 80 on the flow con a wile bk an had water geting throu some windows leaking on in side wat a nte mare so i turned it down to 50 an have no probs at all now so thats y i use one

Thank you for all your reply's. I can see the befits esp for houses. I was unaware that the pressure switch would give out Spruse. What part does Maplins stock if this happens?

Thank you for all your reply's. I can see the befits esp for houses. I was unaware that the pressure switch would give out Spruse. What part does Maplins stock if this happens?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/low-cost-standar...tches-6453

GW71N is the one you want

The only thing will will also need is some female terminals to fit the new microswitch as they are a slightly different size.

They used to be about £1.89 now I see they are £2.49. Unreal. How many of us have managed to get a 32% price increase over the last 7 years?

Back