Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting out

L

Liam2302

hi I'm thinking about starting a window cleaning business in the uk (west London)

I just wanted to know the absolute cheapest way to start as I'm currently on benifits and have a small child just turned 2 so money's tight.

I have a car, insured for social only.. but was looking at a backpack on a trolley idea to start off.. I have seen some cheap backpacks on eBay but need it to last so is there a good way to get into it on the cheap, after bills, rent, food when I'm earning any money left will be put back into the business to grow it and eventually get the van and mounted systems etc..

Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks

You are going to be looking at about £400 minimum for water fed pole. Have a look at the cleaning warehouse for a backpack, RO filter system and fibreglass pole. Other than that get a ladder and set of moerman squeegees and start off trad till you get to the stage you can afford wfp.

Start trad, build a round then buy the wfp gear. You need business cover on your car, an personal liability. When I started I was in the same boat, 18 months later now I live comfortably, best advice is just go for it. Wfp cost upward of £500 where trad you can start for around £130, there's an equipment list on here in the trad section

Start trad! Minimal investment, and it's all necessary equipment anyway. it gives you an opportunity to try the business out and see if it's for you. Cleaning windows is the easy bit!

Have a look in the traditional window cleaning section, and there's a recent post with lots of equipment suggestions.

Hi yes trad I've done before but was limited to bungalows and shop fronts as couldn't fit a ladder in my Citroen ax at the time, my aim was to build the round up enough to get a van etc, but 3 weeks in after getting a few customers someone reversed into my car and wrote it off and had to wait months for a pay out and without transport for weeks I had to stop (not having enough to get another car)

It was a short venture but seeing as I would need a roof rack etc brought and fitted would it be worth me waiting for wfp or just starting very small.

Thanksb

Yeh I started with back packs 2 yrs ago, I got the gardiner pole systems BackPack, think it's £110ish inc vat (or look on gumtree etc) and I bought the 22ft clx pole, which is £200? Give or take. I bought 7 25L water containers. R.O systems can be hard to say, as some people need a D.I vessel, some people don't etc. Try & find out your water pressure at home first. If it's under 25psi then it'll take a long time even just to get 7 containers full. Overall you're looking at the £400-£550 mark to get all the basic gear to get started. Unless there's anyone near you that sells purified water? At first I was buying my 7 containers & back of water for a fiver. It would do about £120ish-£140ish worth of work.

Hi yes trad I've done before but was limited to bungalows and shop fronts as couldn't fit a ladder in my Citroen ax at the time, my aim was to build the round up enough to get a van etc, but 3 weeks in after getting a few customers someone reversed into my car and wrote it off and had to wait months for a pay out and without transport for weeks I had to stop (not having enough to get another car)
It was a short venture but seeing as I would need a roof rack etc brought and fitted would it be worth me waiting for wfp or just starting very small.

Thanksb
Roof racks are easy to fit. You can pick them up for as little as £40

Back