Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Stupid questions time..

jamiesmack

Hi all,

I apologise in advance for any really stupid sounding questions or for calling any equipment by the wrong name!

I am just starting out at the minute (well trying too). I am going to go WFP from the start but would like to be able to trad properly if I can pick it up. I can then use whatever method suits the job properly.

I have bought an unger squeegee & a liquidator, to see which I prefer, along with a few other bits but now I need to know how to use the bloody things!!

-On the liquidator, when I put the channel into the handle, the two 'prongs' that clamp it down seem to distort the shape of the rubber, is this normal? I ask as whenever I use it I seem to be leaving water marks on the glass, no matter how careful I am. Even with straight pulls down.

Are there any online videos on basic technique that you recommend? I have been practicing flat out, but don't seem to be getting any better :oops:

yep dont ask me forty years and still learning.../emoticons/biggrin.png

i only have cheapo pulex as Im cnc....and you will often see me giving it a wee bend here and a wee bend there util it ends up getting thrown in my box in the boot and I get a new one out...

still a quick taytay cloth over and Im good to go..

where you bin hiding mr taytay ? down the allotment no doubt...

as another post says...ya just gotta crack on....

anyway if I havent said welcome to the forum. welcome to the forum

jamiesmack and keep us informed of your progress.../emoticons/biggrin.png

when I put the channel into the handle, the two 'prongs' that clamp it down seem to distort the shape of the rubber, is this normal?
Yeah, and it's something that has always bothered me. But to be honest, as long as it's pushing the blade out, rather than pushing it back, it should be fine. But yeah, that frilly appearance pisses people like me off, because well...the rubber is not straight anymore. And technically it does leave more lines. Now what I mean by that is every squeegee channel and blade (even if brand new and theoretically completely straight) leaves molecules of water, but it dries instantly and looks 'ok'. So even in the best of conditions, squeegees aren't perfect. but imo, they are less perfect when you frill up the rubber like that.

If you want a blade that's completely straight, you'd have to use an old style handle that secured only the channel and didn't bite into the rubber, then secure with clips. Or if you don't like clips, mod the channel (not a liquidator) by carefully crimping all the way down, mm by mm, with plyers

Back