Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cones!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It depends on the situation as you are now mentioning taping off an area.

Go to a customers house. Clean the windows and lay a hose across the pavement. With 4 warning signs. You are breaking the law as you are obstructing a footpath. Simple as. H&S doesn't matter. As the law is law.

if you have to put up the plastic fencing to bloke path then you dod need permission, but for hoses and cones you dont need to anything,

Doesn't matter if its a 5mm pole hose or a 30mm hose. You are still breaking the law. Unless you have in writing that you are allowed todo it.

if you have to put up the plastic fencing to bloke path then you dod need permission, but for hoses and cones you dont need to anything,

It depends on the situation as you are now mentioning taping off an area.
Go to a customers house. Clean the windows and lay a hose across the pavement. With 4 warning signs. You are breaking the law as you are obstructing a footpath. Simple as. H&S doesn't matter. As the law is law.
H&S is the law, how you have set up in the picture on here is 100% fine, if someone trips over that on that public path, they can take you to court but you will win as you have made a safe work area.

if you didnt put cones out then you are screwed.

Recently (Oct 09) a window cleaning client had legal action sought against him for using pole hose that could not clearly be seen. This was following a trip incident that led to an alleged injury. Despite having a trip warning sign placed by the hose reel and van, it was claimed that this was insufficient warning. Because of this and other similar incidents we now supply all of our water fed poles with 'Hazard Yellow' pvc hose - still lightweight and flexible just in yellow. We are also able to supply this in 30m lengths or by the metre.

Why was the claim at success when signs were out?

because he wasnt using a yellow hazard hose!

if you use a black or dark coloured hose of even clear hose then you still can be taken to court becasue you are using the wrong colour hose, no matter if you have signs

But he had signs out?

You DO NOT own a footpath the council does. Ring them on Monday and state you want to run a hose across the pavement and obstruct it.

it doesnt matter if the signs was out, the hose itself wasnt clear to see so thats why he still lost.

i know i dont own footpaths or anything. technically its not the councils that own them its the highway authority within the councils that do, so you need to speak to them.

So if I put out 4 cones on Monday on a footpath and a blind man trips over them. I will be ok?

As they are warning comes and are yellow!

I don't need to tape an area off as I have comes out.

So if I put out 4 cones on Monday on a footpath and a blind man trips over them. I will be ok?
As they are warning comes and are yellow!

I don't need to tape an area off as I have comes out.
a blind man wouldnt be out on his own! either have a dog that is trained to warn about poles, cones, kerbs etc, and/or have a white stick that he/she would use to see if there is anything in the way.

So let me get this correct. You are saying a hose run across the pavement. With say 2 or 3 or 4 comes is ok.

We are talking normal pavement down a road.

If someone tripped over the cones or hose I am

Not liable.

?

Yellow hose and yellow signs. Saying trip hazard.

I don't give a fig who owns what to be honest.

Most are insured also take reasonable precautions to minimise risk to pedestrian traffic as follow good working practices laid down by HSE. If then some numpty wants to make a claim by tripping over a bright yellow hose then either they are blind or just plain stupid..

So let me get this correct. You are saying a hose run across the pavement. With say 2 or 3 or 4 comes is ok.
We are talking normal pavement down a road.

If someone tripped over the cones or hose I am

Not liable.

?

Yellow hose and yellow signs. Saying trip hazard.
no you are not liable as long as you ahve done everything you can to warn people of it.

busy paths in town centres where they are lots of people always walking, thats diffrent, you have to take things further, either use a backpack or trolly system to reduce the hazzards more, or even just have to trad them if shops.

this is one example that we had on the training where i think the H&S is going to far,

bloke using wfp cleaning single window next to a bus lane, and on busy path,

he wasnt allowed to shut the bus lane or the public path to comply with the building H&S, so he had to get a platform lift in to clean one window to comply with everything.

personaly i think thats going to far, but it was the safest way that the risk assesment come up with. so had to be done that way.

Awesome I will take a photo on Monday and send to council and see what they say. I hope I am not liable. As that will be a mega result as it means I can work knowing some little chief ain't gonna trip up on it on purpose.

you will be fine, not even i have that many cones out when i go across a path in town, i only use 2! but my hose reel stays in the van all the time,

the other way to look at that pic, you have warned the people out on the path, but how about around the house? in front of doors? etc

you can only do so much, otherwise we would have to drive round in a lorry to carry all the warning stuff and only clean 4-5 houses a day lol

this is another one of my pictures that i had to take into the training to prove of safe working, at the time i only had those fold up signs as i was only just starting out then.

in the pic you can see what i have done to make everything as safe as i can, marked out work area with signs, tucked hose right into the wall to keep it away from path.

View attachment 1105

Interesting to note trad windies never bother with cones and stick ladders anywhere even on public footpaths /emoticons/biggrin.png

Interesting to note trad windies never bother with cones and stick ladders anywhere even on public footpaths /emoticons/biggrin.png
i know, and they leave them up and unattended, if they fall down for any reason or someone walks into them they will be screwed!

Back