Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Selling Work

WCF

Help Support WCF:

joe34

Just wondered if anyone has sold any work in the past and if so how did it go? was the handover easy to do?

I'm going to sell of abit work soon but i've never done it before .I've got some good customers but like most rounds i've also the odd one that can be hard work ,and dont know how they would take it.

Who ever buys a round expects to loose about 10% - 20%

I purchased a round once was listed as close to £700 a month

he gave me the list of customers and i knocked EVERY door.

Turned out most he hadnt visited in months, some were one offs etc

I ended up with £90's worth of work.

Hence why he gave me the address's,i was basically door knocking LMAO!

My advice is sell the round, dont show him the address's but more like drive him round in a car and point to houses in the street and explain you do some here, some there. Again not giving away the actual address.

Then once you have the money, put out the letter. Any that drop off, are his problem.

Seen it done before, pre warned all customers that he was selling up, most customers cancelled as they didnt want to risk a new cleaner. Then he couldnt sell the round.

He was a tool anyway!

I sold my runs up in 2011 to enable me to move to Ireland, where I have started up again.

I found a buyer through a young lad that used to work for me.

I emailed the buyer with details of the number of customers, their location and the turnover per cycle figures, and how much I was asking for the business.

We then agreed to meet, I showed him the books, answered any questions he had, ie how long was the run established, and we agreed the price.

I drew up buyer and seller's contracts, stating the details as outlined in the email previously sent, and that as a buyer he now takes responsibility of the business, and that as seller, I relinquish same. We both signed the dotted line in each other's presence, and the buyer transferred the money into my bank there and then.

I had prepared a letter of introduction for the buyer and gave it to him. I also prepared a letter for every customer explaining the transfer of business. These were to be hand delivered, and I notified the buyer via email when this had been done, leaving him free to move in and take over.

The transactions (I sold my work off in 2 stages) went like clockwork.

A word of warning though; there will always be the likelihood of some customers not wanting to change over, but that is part of the risk, as one is really only buying/selling customer goodwill. But if you have all this included in a writen contract, you will be covered.

John

Joe if you want any letters for change over etc, i have them ok /emoticons/smile.png Just PM me!

Thanks for the advise fellas ,john i think thats the way to do it, i dont think you could of done it better.Damo thanks alot for that mate i'll take you up on that offer when the time comes.

You're welcome Joe. I still have my copies of the contracts I drew up if you need some help with wording etc.

John

I'm just about to sell a small chunk of work,just wondered if anyone had letter of handover example and contract.

Buyer wants to do the work with me,is this risky as trust issues which is fair enough.

However don't want him to see every house just in case he nicks them all.what's the best way.

Here is the layout of the contract I drew up when I sold my work:

TRANSFER/SALE OF WINDOW CLEANING BUSINESS

This document is to confirm the transfer or sale of window cleaning business based in (NAME OF TOWN)

The total number of customers is XXX; the turnover adds up to £XXXX.XX per cycle.

All customers have been notified in writing of the transfer of business.

The customer book is complete and up to date as of DDMMYY. The book will be handed over on completion of this document and the exchange of purchase monies.

All outstanding debts owed by customers in relation to this business have been written off and absorbed by the seller.

The agreed purchase price is £XXXX.XX, payable on completion of this document.

DECLARATION (SELLER)

I, (SELLER'S NAME) confirm that by selling the aforementioned window cleaning business, I relinquish all ownership and responsibility of said business, and it becomes the sole property of (BUYER'S NAME)

Signed (Seller) .................................... Date .................

DECLARATION (BUYER)

I, (BUYER'S NAME) confirm that by buying the aforementioned window cleaning business, I assume all ownership and responsibility of said business, and that it is no longer the property of (SELLER'S NAME)

Signed (Buyer) ...................................... Date ..................

The customer book has been passed to the buyer Y/N

The purchase monies have been paid to the seller Y/N

Signed (Seller) ................................................................... Date ..................

Signed (Buyer) ................................................................... Date ..................

Notice: Change of Window Cleaner

Dear Customer,

As you may already know, as of the next scheduled clean, a different window cleaning company will be taking care of your window cleaning needs.

They are a very professional company with a good reputation and I am confident that you will be happy with their services. Don’t worry, other than a change of address on the invoice, the arrangements should continue the same as before. If you wish to contact ………………….., their details are shown below.

Thank you once again for your custom and I wish you all the best in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

Your Name

Your contact details.

New Cleaner Details:

Highlight this sentence and add new cleaner details here.

Telephone: ………………………

……………………………………………………………………………

From Your New Window Cleaner

Dear Customer,

Hello, please allow us to introduce ourselves. My name is. ………………………………Our business name is ………………………………………..As your previous window cleaner likely informed you, we have now taken over the window cleaning round and from now on we look forward to taking care of your window cleaning needs.

Meeting the needs of our customers is very important to us and so we take pride in doing a good job. Where possible we will keep the arrangements the same, however feel free to contact us and we’ll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Please note: Understandably, it may take us a little longer for us to get around the work this first time while we become familiar with the round, but please be assured that we will do our best to come as scheduled on ……………….. If you are not at home we will still provide the service and leave a slip with details of how to pay. Hope to meet you soon!

Yours Sincerely,

Your Name

Your contact details

Very good and helpful as well damo.

I have a small chunk of work to sell as moved and was unsure myself.

Only a small chunk,£180 for £500 and the windows are 2 monthly.

Is this okay as I've seen them marked up higher.

Well its not even 3 times the rate so not bad. It is 2 monthly though. So if its £180 @ 2 monthly you usually divide by 2 to get net monthly worth which is £90

At £90 you are looking at 5 times the rate. Which is the max really.

How many houses are we talking?

Very good and helpful as well damo.I have a small chunk of work to sell as moved and was unsure myself.

Only a small chunk,£180 for £500 and the windows are 2 monthly.

Is this okay as I've seen them marked up higher.
Sounds OK to me. You may get more if it is compact and well established. The work I sold was mostly 6 weekly, with a morning's worth of 2 weeklies. I got 3x for mine, which I established over 14 years but needed to sell fairly quickly.

Best wishes,

John

19 houses,all close together,have moved and so busy that struggle to get it done.

the only bit of work I brought in and basically selling it for what I paid for it.

Now have loads round my way so thought I'd give it ago and had lots of interest.all a bit underpriced and never put them up so have let buyer no this so that he could put them up after a while.I'd done the round for two years and previous window cleaner for 5 di customers use to change over.

id rather let customers think the new lad is helping me out for a few months, or let them clean them with you so they can see him, if some customers know you have sold them on they may just cancell if they do not like the look of there new cleaner. nowt as queer as folk. this worked for me when i bought a round. only lost 2 customers , glad i didnt like them anyway, i hope they ask me to start to do them again, we know the answer

id rather let customers think the new lad is helping me out for a few months, or let them clean them with you so they can see him, if some customers know you have sold them on they may just cancell if they do not like the look of there new cleaner. nowt as queer as folk. this worked for me when i bought a round. only lost 2 customers , glad i didnt like them anyway, i hope they ask me to start to do them again, we know the answer
I like that idea,may suggest that.

Back