Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

In Your Experience...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tuffers

can YOU tell if a window is going to spot while the glass is still wet?

Reckon I can. The tell tale sign is beads of water that run down the glass in a straight line from the top of the glass. If you are experiencing spotting look out for for these signs.

I'm new to WFP and i'll be looking out for this today!!! "Even though I don't get much spotting now days" /emoticons/smile.png

Absolutely, the spots are very uniform when it's going to spot. SWMBO doesn't see it but I can a mile off.

Deffo agree Tuffers.

When I see a long line of little water beads I always expect trouble like spotting from it.

In my option I think the water runs on the glass different when it gets contaminated ie dirt from frames.

I've had no bother at all from customers since I started in early October but one of MY windows gives me no end of bother and I have done it at least once a week since kitting my van out at the beginning of September!

The main window has three smaller windows above it and where these are mitred in is a bit iffy to me. After I rinse the windows the water is running off the mitre joint and leaving a run of spots on the big window. They're only tiny and the wife hasn't 'spotted' them yet (thank gawd) but they are annoying me as I don't know how to get rid of them

don't wash the frame on the three little windows above big one, (only do that on first clean)

on subsequent cleans, just wipe over frame, and down each horizontal gap with slightly wet bristles, and your jets turned off, then

wash and rinse glass,

then wash big window underneath, wipe the drips off the three little windows with jets turned off, then rinse big window.

that's what i do, i never used to, i used to clean whole window and frame, then just rinsed everything in one hit, not good,

you can only get away with that on some windows .... john.

don't wash the frame on the three little windows above big one, (only do that on first clean)

on subsequent cleans, just wipe over frame, and down each horizontal gap with slightly wet bristles, and your jets turned off, then

wash and rinse glass,

then wash big window underneath, wipe the drips off the three little windows with jets turned off, then rinse big window.

that's what i do, i never used to, i used to clean whole window and frame, then just rinsed everything in one hit, not good,

you can only get away with that on some windows .... john.

sorry, i ment vertical gaps :Image11:

Haha good'un tuffers, and everyone else, thats the sort of info that would've helped no end when i started. Its something that comes with experience and attention to detail innit? Also learning how all your frames and windows clean

I always find my terrace work used to be bad for this, as they are stacked

The windows prone to this need a tweak in technique, what i do is clean them as normal but slightly quicker/half attempt then move onto the next window so they can drip dry a bit, then as i approach the window again i'll tap the pole a couple of times to shake excess water off the brush then use the bristles to suck the excess water from the top seal/frame then clean as normal. Also the angle of the brush seems to make a huge difference for rinsing accuracy on these problem frames

I tend to have it facing up quite a bit so it makes it easier to see the jets on the glass and rinse with the brush on the glass especially just for the top part of the glass then lift off for the rest

Im a noob so someone get sum before/ after pics cause this sounds like a quality tip, i think i can imagine what your saying

Very hard getting a pic of water beads Andy. Usually the water is dotted around the glass. If it's going to spot the water beads run down the glass in a straight line.

Took 2 photos today. It was a Conny that I rarely clean. The spotting was caused by **** seals. Hope you can make the spotting out.

IMAG0421_zps8ee2a7e9.jpg

IMAG0420_zpscc64d435.jpg

Nice one tuffers, didn't think you get get a photo of it

I have a window on my kitchen that spots everytime, its due this week i'll try and get a photo of it while its wet then what it drys like

I cleaned this house for quite a while with 000 water, and was still getting spotting, as you can see

in picture that i took the following day, when cleaning the house next door,

im amazed she kept me on, its a £20 call, the neighbour the other side had already canceled,

and got a trad windy :Image6:

but thankfully i sorted the problem with spotting, and i still clean them 3 years later :Image12: .

on this call, i wipe all the cross frame with brush turned off, and try to get all sitting water

off from frame, (i don't rinse this frame once iv'e done this) so does not drip after iv'e left.

the house next door i don't have to do this to, you get to now the prob windows eventually .j.

I cleaned this house for quite a while with 000 water, and was still getting spotting, as you can see

in picture that i took the following day, when cleaning the house next door,

im amazed she kept me on, its a £20 call, the neighbour the other side had already canceled,

and got a trad windy :Image6:

but thankfully i sorted the problem with spotting, and i still clean them 3 years later :Image12: .

on this call, i wipe all the cross frame with brush turned off, and try to get all sitting water

off from frame, (i don't rinse this frame once iv'e done this) so does not drip after iv'e left.

the house next door i don't have to do this to, you get to now the prob windows eventually .j.

im guna have a go at that trick :Image16:

Back