Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Product Design

WCF

Help Support WCF:

K

Katarina Kelly

Hello everyone, I'm currently studying towards my Product Design A level and I've had an idea. My product is a window cleaner that enables you to clean the outside of windows from the inside. It sounds really complicated but I have a design and a photo of a prototype for you. I was wondering if you could be kind enough to take a moment and evaluate my product, please feel free to be as critical as you like. The prototype consists of an aluminium clamp and a push and pull mechanism which allows it to move back and forth along the window.

I designed it primarily for push open windows. Our topic was a "household problem" and this is a big one in our house, I designed this product based on the windows that we have. I'm not planning on manufacturing this fully, I'm going to leave it at the prototype stage. I was thinking robot tech but that would be far to complicated for me. The product would clamp onto the window frame and detergent and water can be pumped through. There is a push and pull mechanism inside that can be accessed safely, if you look closely you can see the white wire on the prototype. It's basic objective is to access the hard to reach areas of the windows from the inside.

Thank you I appreciate it :)

View attachment 1624

View attachment 1625

View attachment 1626

View attachment 1627

Terrible idea, it'll put me out of business!

No, seriously, can't quite make the idea out fully from the pics, not that there bad, I just can't fathom it fully. Interesting idea, however, I did once see this kind of thing on qvc, only done with magnets, don't know how successful it was, but haven't seen one yet.

Hello everyone, I'm currently studying towards my Product Design A level and I've had an idea. My product is a window cleaner that enables you to clean the outside of windows from the inside. It sounds really complicated but I have a design and a photo of a prototype for you. I was wondering if you could be kind enough to take a moment and evaluate my product, please feel free to be as critical as you like. The prototype consists of an aluminium clamp and a push and pull mechanism which allows it to move back and forth along the window.

I designed it primarily for push open windows. Our topic was a "household problem" and this is a big one in our house, I designed this product based on the windows that we have. I'm not planning on manufacturing this fully, I'm going to leave it at the prototype stage. I was thinking robot tech but that would be far to complicated for me. The product would clamp onto the window frame and detergent and water can be pumped through. There is a push and pull mechanism inside that can be accessed safely, if you look closely you can see the white wire on the prototype. It's basic objective is to access the hard to reach areas of the windows from the inside.

Thank you I appreciate it /emoticons/smile.png
Yes looks good on the right track! I can see this working with a few tweaks here and there!

I designed it primarily for push open windows. Our topic was a "household problem" and this is a big one in our house, I designed this product based on the windows that we have.
Its not a problem thats what window cleaners are for! :Image14:
I was thinking robot tech but that would be far to complicated for me
It is not that difficult to do a robotic one! :Image9:

Thank you all very much for you feedback!! it has been taken on board :Image3:

Terrible idea, it'll put me out of business!

No, seriously, can't quite make the idea out fully from the pics, not that there bad, I just can't fathom it fully. Interesting idea, however, I did once see this kind of thing on qvc, only done with magnets, don't know how successful it was, but haven't seen one yet.
I cant fathom these pictures either! I don't know whats going on in them lol

Sorry /emoticons/unsure.png I know there not very clear. The product is made up of a push and pull mechanism, the main tubing structure, a clamp and some sort of detergent pump. The clamp attaches onto a window frame and is securely pressed against the outside of the window. The product is loaded with a very large spring which is attached to a wire, which can be accessed from the inside, when pulled the wire and spring mechanism enable the product to move back and forth along the window.

Again I'm sorry it sounds really complicated

i see the way it works not a problem but itl never cach on cos ther to much fafing ,plus thers the danger haning otut of the window

I can't actually see it working, you've got to soap the window and agitate the dirt into the solution and then squeegee it off before it dries so you've got to have the mop and squeegee both there and a way of swapping them. Theres also got to be some amount of pressure on the squeegee as well and I'm not sure how you'd achieve all of that.

I don't think I'm going to do us all out of jobs here but have you considered a brush and pure water, filtered and deionised, anyone can collect rainwater which can just be deionised easily. Just a similar thing to what you have there but all it has to do is brush the dirt into the water then lift off the brush and rinse the glass.

Commercially I don't think any of us should be worried but for a school project I think its more workable.

Dodger.

Its a no from me,I'm out.!

i see the way it works not a problem but itl never cach on cos ther to much fafing ,plus thers the danger haning otut of the window
charlie the whole point of it is so you dont hang out of the window!

Some old fella gave me one of them magnetic cleaning devices years ago. I didn't even try it out. Looked like too much p*** ar**** about.

Back