Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How would you respond

Gleam123

For all you wfp users im sure you've been asked this question at some point.

Ive got a customer that had a massive strop when I first went to do her house in slight drizzle and I remember being caught so off guard when she questioned me I didnt have much to respond with.

Since ive taken her on ive never had this issue since as its been fine weather when she is due, now im due to do it tomorrow and its going to be overcast and showery down here so she wont be happy.

Now when you tell your customers it doesnt make a difference to the quality of the clean if you do it in the rain what do you respond with when they say 'why? the rain is dirtying the window'

just say, let me do it, do a really good job and if it comes out Swear word!, u get a free clean, then do the best job ever

That is a trickey one, but i think the 1st response to "the rain is dirtying the windows" would be, "no it isnt"!. Rain is pure water, or as near as dammit, so it isnt going to dirty the windows. Explain this as reasonably as you can, and that in this country's climate (you could try to make a joke out of this to lighten her mood), a window cleaner wouldnt be able to make a living out of it if they only worked in dry weather. Also, as bluemonkey says, tell her you will do them again if she isnt happy with the result. If she doesnt accept this you have 2 choices, either dump her, or only clean her windows when it is dry. Unfortunately you will always get the odd stubborn customer (usually old!), who wont accept it, but in my experience, most will accept what you say, even if they would still rather you didnt do them in the rain!.

bluemonkey has given a good answer

If you do explain, firstly point out rain water is very clean compared to most tap water and more closer to the type of water you are already using in the wfp system.

rain picks up any dirt in the atmosphere as it falls, so the first rain after a long dry spell will be more likely to dirty the windows (a little), because its been raining today, most of the dirt has been removed from the atmosphere, any further rain that occurs after you have cleaned them is not likely to leave any water marks. The only windows that may get dirty is from the rain hitting the floor and splashing back up on patio doors etc.

Richard

I am trad but I have had this before, especially with old custies, one I did when the weather was fine, but when I went back in the evening there was light rain and she ask me not to clean the windows in weather like this.

lol! cant collect when its raining either then?

I just say we clean in mild conditions and guarantee this will not effect us getting your windows cleaned, if you check them the next day you will see that this is the case, if not, give me a call and I'll give you your money back. But if your asking me to only clean your windows when its dry weather, well we live in Scotland we would never get to you.

ya just explain that the rain wont effect the windows and rain rain doesnt clean them lol

as bbd said either drop her or just skip her if its raining till next month i wouldn't go back just to do hers in the dry lol

and if thay say where was you last month say u told me not to do it in the rain so i have to miss you if its raining when i'm in your area

To help you convince her that rain water does not dirty windows, and that this is a misconception. Use either of the following two examples.

More often than not on windows that have not been cleaned for a few months are dirtier near the top of the frame where the glass is covered from the rain by the recess of the building. If rain dirtied windows this would not be the case, it would be the opposite.

Cars are also normally dirty along the bottom sills, where you guessed it the rain does not get to. Its dirt in the air and dust of the road that makes your windows dirty, and it will take a month of bad weather for them to get to the same condition that they are in now, it is just not the case that the second there is any rain, that's you windows dirty. It is a gradual process.

Laddergarder is correct in saying rain dirtying windows is usually a gradual process; on average it rains in the UK 2 days in any week, so over a calendar month, customers should expect several days of bad weather which will mean they need to have their window cleaned!

Richard

no one has complained to me, but some have made remarks.. i would not work in heavy rain, or if the rain was hitting the panes bad, ( im trad ) but for the ones who would say ' ya cant clean in the rain' i would reply, if you want a reliable service i may have to at times clean in light rain.. or you will just have to wait til next time..

it's all been said really! just the oddtime we've had that Sahara dust or something and it's made them filthy over***ht.

along with my usual satisfaction guarantee or will return and put right for free I I explain if I only cleaned when weather perfect and stay that way all week, would have to charge 3 times as much to stay is business! usually shuts them up lol.

Back