Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First paid job disaster

Shell

Got a honda gx200 last month. Tested on my own patio & my dads with good results.

Yesterday was doing my friends at a discounted price. Did a top section ok, then machine cut out & wouldn't start up again. Back fired, started for a few seconds, revs on max but sounded too low and cut straight out.

After being on the phone & WhatsApp videos with jet mac trying different things we realised the sparkplug was burnt out, so i replaced and after a few tries got it going and carried on half hour. The engine didn't sound consistent, and water bring sucked up wasn't consistent, so pressure good then bad then good. It cut out after 20/30 mins and wouldn't start up again. Spark plug turning black again.

This was my third job, should a spark plug go that quick?

I was on the job the entire day and did maybe 40sqm... The bit

I did looked great but what a nightmare! I'm so thankful the customer was a friend.

It won't let me add a photo here but I've uploaded files to the post. Patio, first spark plug, second sparkplug

IMG_20170421_124723.jpg

IMG_20170421_143248788.jpg

IMG_20170421_162558028.jpg

Are you turning the choke off once the machine has started?
Leaving it to warm up, using it a few mins then turning choke down. Leaving revs to near the top end of max

Over fuelling mate. Which could only be the choke as Brandon said take choke off & you should be ok. Check oil & make sure it's the correct oil as this too can burn your plug out..

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

The choke goes off as soon as the engine has started, the choke is for starting only as its set with the correct fuelling etc for cold start. That's over fuelling you are getting there on yer plugs.

When i had a classic mini i had to start with choke pulled out & leave out for good few minutes, even out a tiny bit for start of journey, thought would've been the same.

When i went to turn choke off, even with revs max it started to splutter and would've cut out if i turned fully off?

It still doesn't explain it taking a good 5-6 pulls to get it starting, pressure flow great,, then dipping, then good, terrible, then great. Cutting out, not starting up again & that time the plug was fine. Hmmmm

The oil is what was in it when delivered & I've only used the machine on 2 practice jobs (worked fine) then tiny bit of first paid job fri.

Thanks a lot for your replies

Jetmac don't send the machines full of engine oil, they send you the oil separately in a bottle to add to engine once you receive it??

Get that choke off straight away mate my Honda gx390 touch wood runs sweet every time I use it for about a year I did nothing with it then I changed oil in pump and the machine oil- only thing I notice with mine is if I run for about 8 hours straight in hour 6 if I'm changing over lance etc it must suck up some air when restarting and doesn't like taking the water again for a while ! Annoying

Jetmac don't send the machines full of engine oil, they send you the oil separately in a bottle to add to engine once you receive it??
Mine was brimming full of oil & has a low oil cut off on this one, won't start if oil is low

Wouldn't start again after cut out and engine was sounding funny before cut out. Did a video and sent to the guy

There's a fault somewhere, it's being picked up tomorrow and think he's going to change the engine and give it the once over and send back to me.

Can't fault the guy at jet mac, sent me lots of videos of things to check on it & going back & forth with videos & pics

It,ll be something to do with the fuel. Best thing to do is get a mechanic onboard. Saves all the hassle and the money you spends not a lot really plus will keep you working. The two times i ve took it to the mechanic...its been minor. But makes a big difference someone that knows what their doing looking at it opposed to most of us...thats bought a machine but probably not that much idea when things go wrong. People might disagree with that advise but the best thing i ve done tbh.

Well PW is an add on, I'm a gardener and fully booked garden jobs next two weeks with a slot a week on Fri to go finish Fridays job if get PW sorted.

I paid a lot of money for the machine, brand new it needs to be 100% working. It's being collected tomorrow and jet mac will sort it & send back with it being fit for purpose

Hopefully then i wont have further issues fingers crossed.

What sort of mechanic do you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a car mechanic mate. But pretty sure the guy loves working with all types of engines etc. Understandably you want it in working order cause you ve paid a lot for it. And fair play to the jetmac guys cause remember a time people we,re downplaying their aftersales service. Just found the mechanic route easier even just to keep on top of things. Always usually minor stuff. At least if it was something substantial they,d be able to diagnose it. Hope you get it sorted mate.

Back