Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Roller Guide in The Back Door

Yep that's exactly what I'm thinking as well tuffers, that's the Gardiner one isn't it?

If so I've been deliberating it for a while, I think it's been in the shopping basket on gardiners website a few times lol!

The only problem I've got is the shape of the rear doors, so I'm thinking of putting it on the curb side of the van...

Yep that's exactly what I'm thinking as well tuffers, that's the Gardiner one isn't it?
If so I've been deliberating it for a while, I think it's been in the shopping basket on gardiners website a few times lol!

The only problem I've got is the shape of the rear doors, so I'm thinking of putting it on the curb side of the van...
Yes it's Gardiners Jake. Have you given any thought of how you would cover it?

it would be something I would do.its the worry of reselling the van.(if drilled into the door)unless you sell to another window cleaner of course.ive tried the plastic rollers further back behind the door. that metal roller looks the biz.some ive seen have them on the side of the van

it would be something I would do.its the worry of reselling the van.(if drilled into the door)unless you sell to another window cleaner of course.ive tried the plastic rollers further back behind the door. that metal roller looks the biz.some ive seen have them on the side of the van
I think it would do the job, but like you say it's the sell on factor. Maybe put it behind the number plate and design something to make your plate tilt when the hose comes through. Only problem I have is my reel sits on the other side of the van to the number plate. I don't really want to put my reel on the other side as that's where I put my vac/trolley and poles.

My thought was a plastic plug type 'contraption' to plug into it at the end of each day, but not sure how to do it yet,

I'm not sure if I'll

Do it as there's a few hurdles to get past with them...

I think it would do the job, but like you say it's the sell on factor. Maybe put it behind the number plate and design something to make your plate tilt when the hose comes through. Only problem I have is my reel sits on the other side of the van to the number plate. I don't really want to put my reel on the other side as that's where I put my vac/trolley and poles.
Exactly like mine! Same position!

if your vans tatty and old id do it but not on a decent van. come resale time your looking at a new door. or buy a second hand door same colour and fit it to that. if it goes wrong you have not ruined the one on your van, if it goes well swap doors and you will always have the old one to go back on.

I know this is a really old post, but does anyone do this? i don't think I have space for a floor roller so looking at other options. if someone does, do they have photos they could post? also, have you had any security issues?

I know this is a really old post, but does anyone do this? i don't think I have space for a floor roller so looking at other options. if someone does, do they have photos they could post? also, have you had any security issues?
Putting hoses through doors will drastically increase the trip hazard as they will be draping out about 18+ inches high at least , floor rollers is the way ahead .

Most guys have rollers through the floor

If you were to fit them into the door have you considered the realistic fact of complaining your vehicles security and possible means to fish the inner door release handle to open the van

Also if fitted you'd need a weather flap to prevent rain and water ingress

A simple sheet of rubber would work

Don't understand how you don't have enough room for a under floor roller, the install would be far easier than cutting a whole in the back door and trying to faff on fitting rollers and trying to stop water ingress, a underfloor roller install is very straight forward, 

I have seen someone with rollers in the back door and they have fitted them almost in the middle of the door and it doesn't look great at all, plus the hazard to a passer by if he pulls extra hose out away from the van the hose will be at almost waist height for someone.

Thanks for the replies guys! @Iron Giant i have a bipper van, does the job very well, but no spare floor space at all. The spare wheel under the van blocks everything, its practically the width of the van? Don't have room to put it inside. If I do go down the route of underfloor rollers I may get a space saver to store inside instead. 

If i did go for through the door, it would be as low down as possible. 

Thanks for the replies guys! @Iron Giant i have a bipper van, does the job very well, but no spare floor space at all. The spare wheel under the van blocks everything, its practically the width of the van? Don't have room to put it inside. If I do go down the route of underfloor rollers I may get a space saver to store inside instead. 

If i did go for through the door, it would be as low down as possible. 
If you ever have to sell or replace your van it's going to look silly with a cat flap on the back door.

Do what I did years ago, get a large flexible padlock staple & hasp and attach it on the inner of the rear doors, just so there's a wide enough gap the get your hand in when the doors are secured to unlock a padlock whether it's keyed or combination. I'm guessing you can't leave your door ajar like the majority of us ?

20201012_125345.jpg

Have a look at this Van Car Tailgate Boot Lock Secure - eBay

I have not tried it but basically it allows you to leave your door open a small way and still lock it as normal. I'm not sure how easy it is to fit and remove but might be worth looking at as it means you don't need to cut anything in the van and should maintain a level of security while your hose is out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look at this Van Car Tailgate Boot Lock Secure - eBay

I have not tried it but basically it allows you to leave your door open a small way and still lock it as normal. I'm not sure how easy it is to fit and remove but might be worth looking at as it means you don't need to cut anything in the van and should maintain a level of security while your hose is out.
Nice to see others thinking outside of the box 

Appreciate the replies. Think I'm going to work something out for the underfloor rollers. I'm looking for something I can lock the van then walk away pulling the hose out, leaving the doors slightly ajar means the hose would get stuck in the gap. 

@Apw1210 yes, I work in areas that I wouldn't leave the doors unlocked 

I just run the hose out the back door close the doors lock them. No issues.

I don't plan to keep the van forever so when I do sell it wont be sold as a window cleaning van just standard van.

Appreciate the replies. Think I'm going to work something out for the underfloor rollers. I'm looking for something I can lock the van then walk away pulling the hose out, leaving the doors slightly ajar means the hose would get stuck in the gap. 

@Apw1210 yes, I work in areas that I wouldn't leave the doors unlocked 
As previously mentioned by myself & @THL4KELsecure the doors in a lockable position to allow access then simply attach a £7 garden hose roller guide onto a small DIY fabricated bracket so the hose passes through it between the doors. I can imagine there is much usable floor space in your van to allow cutting a 100x100x100mm hole 

20201013_182226.jpg

I just run the hose out the back door close the doors lock them. No issues.

I don't plan to keep the van forever so when I do sell it wont be sold as a window cleaning van just standard van.
My point exactly 

Back