Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

pitted brass

WCF

Help Support WCF:

simon

just had a customer ring & ask what i use in my water as she has had a new door with brass fittings which have become pitted - she's not accusing me just wanted all the info before she rings the fitters.

her old door leaked so i never cleaned it & never did the new one either so i know its not pure but just wondering if anyone knows what could cause it

It sounds as if the clear lacquer that coats the actual brass has worn off resulting in the tarnishing.

I should imagine the lacquer needs to be completely stripped off, the brass cleaned up with fine steel wool and then lacquer reapplied.

Most people will just purchase new door furniture (me included)

Sent from my CUBOT DINOSAUR using Tapatalk

Water doesn't pit or corrode metal, oxygen does. Unless you have acid in your water it is either an aluminium anodised forged handle that hasn't been anodised properly or a very poor quality Chinese brass casting , that has more than 40% zinc, that's not fit for purpose. Probably the latter.

Back