Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Franchise? employed? opinions welcomed

WCF

Help Support WCF:

GenieGroup

Hy Guys

Im working on an idea to expand my business

Im currently just starting back up, bit of boring background ...Myself and a business partner had a window cleaning 5 years ago built it up well with me canvassing, we are both not the grafter types admittedly, some people are more suited, we both did not have the drive to really earn the big money by working 10 hours a day etc, my skills are sales and marketing his was organising, accounts tax etc, anyway we sold the business to his brother, in the mean time i have ran a small canvassing team, newspapers, dairys and some window cleaners, now i have just got married have 3 children and want to build something of value.

im fantastic at sales and do genuinely love knocking doors (most of the time, we all hate it some days)

And I am not satisfied anymore of the idea now of being paid just once for the customer i have worked hard to gain never to see the money again

I do well though £500-£1000 a week canvassing but i support my wife who's just finishing uni and like i said have 3 children so its not enough, especially going forward long term

Anyway ...if you havent fallen asleep

my idea is I buy one van and kit I have a reliable employee in place and canvass his round as i go and pay a set wage £400 per week

based on 20 customers a day at average £12 per customer, not including added services is £5220 turnover per round, take off vages insurance repairs etc its about £2000 profit per round

I calculate with my canvassing skills i can build 6 rounds a year with myself and a part time canvasser with me - i can get 10 customers min a day working 12pm-8pm add another 5 or so for the other canvasser

i know some on here might say thats going to be hard going and no doubt attract some stick but im a firm believer of aiming high and setting goals

now thats once option

the other way and this way i dont deal with the employment side and those pitfalls or the cost of setting up each round, with the vans and systems

I would offer a Free franchise to existing window cleaners who perhaps have just started up and find the canvassing difficult perhaps

the deal would be we supply the round 400 plus customers a month, uniform, website software package free, the supply the van and kit and we deal in a percentage 60/40 to them, its there business they own, similar to the britannia removals business model They would even retain there own business name example T Smith window cleaner - Genie Group

what would be the best option?

logo.jpg

You can franchise it out to me. Just be advised come the months end when my 60% is due I'm no interested in hearing about which custies have not paid etc. That's your problem.

You get my point.

Amd no I'm not looking for a franchise thanks. But good luck to you.

this is the wrong business to be in if your a LAZY FECKER . seems like youll only be playing at it

Im not saying im lazy, not in the slightest, I love work, but only when its what I love doing that's sales and building businesses, the way I love at it i could do 10 hours cleaning, or 10 hours canvassing, whats more profitable over 12 months its the 10 hours canvassing

Good luck with your enterprise. I had a canvasser ring me today asking if I needed any canvassing doing. I felt a tad sorry for him as he sounded a bit nervous. Good luck to him though.

to much risk IMO

fully fitted van what happens if he is bone idle {lazy twxt ) dos,int look after your van

who will be doing all the collecting when you canny get the coin in

your only taking 40%

theres a lot of risks, what ifs, but thats business... no risk no reward, like any other company with lazy employees they don't last, but there is a reward factor, if they are lazy the wont get through the work, and wont earn the money, its a case of making sure i employ the right people, thats why i think the franchise with no fee would work best

when are you doing it then?

no next week next month

im getting weary of reading "the big pot " "but i wont start humbly "stories on the forum

Last edited:
when are you doing it then?
no next week next month

im getting weary of reading "the big pot " "but i wont start humbly "stories on the forum
I am getting things ready for a start within 4 weeks, website, branding, marketing, equipment,

I am used to having modest size businesses creating a good income, but you only live once and i feel its time to build something larger, more long term security, and something of sell on value too

I think it will do well, but just make sure you come and update us, good or bad, as we have heard so many large plans over the years it gets a bit tiresome.

Reckon this is a recipe for a permanent migraine, way to many variables, way to many customers involved, payments, vans breaking, people letting you down etc etc etc

Good luck to you but can see it being a total nightmare, and I don't think you will have enough time to canvass after only setting up one or two workers.

Reckon this is a recipe for a permanent migraine, way to many variables, way to many customers involved, payments, vans breaking, people letting you down etc etc etc
Good luck to you but can see it being a total nightmare, and I don't think you will have enough time to canvass after only setting up one or two workers.
i have experience dealing with multiple lorrys and staff with a removal company we built from scratch to a £400k turnover a year business, massive massive stress with lorry breakdowns, staff reliability, VOSA now that was stress, insurance claims, under quoting, dealing with huge blue chip companys, thats why i sold it to my business partner, at that point in my life I didnt need it.

I have a supportive wife, she will do all the admin, help with canvassing, so we will start as a team, plan is to then bring in managers, to have there own round whilst managing a couple of other lads under them

Back