Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Keeping brush clean...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

windyman

What do you lot do (if anything) to keep your brush clean?

I was thinking of soaking mine in pure water on a weekend while I'm not working. Would that work do you think?

thats the best way & i used to do it but to be honest its been a long time since i did anything more than run my hand over it to get cobwebs off & never had any probs

Because brushes are generally used to clean glass they have to be fairly clean for standard use (unless cleaning cladding or picking up muck on the floor of the van). Usually I just brush off any loose bits if needed or if I have picked up muck on the brush I quickly rinse them under a jet of water. I have never found the need to soak the brushes.

I've never maintained a brush.... /emoticons/mellow.png Never had problems..... /emoticons/mellow.png

5years wfp.... /emoticons/wink.png

I always leave brushes soaking in pure water over ***ht, I was advised to do this when I first started so done it from day one

I was advised when i started to leave brushes soaking in pure water ove***ht, but only once every couple of weeks. Having said that, i havnt done it for well over 2 years now, so it cant be all that important, never had any problems!.

I have only had my 2 poles for a few weeks now and one was full of white paint bit yesterday. I just rinsed it with pure water and gave it a shake. I think with the water always flushing the brush it generally stays clean.

i had to blast mine with a hose to get flaky paint out if it the other day. then i soaked it as suggested on here. it worked very well..

Just keeping the brush soak in the water whole ***ht is sufficient for the cleaning of brushes.

Cleaning traffic grime from windows & frames will (eventually) leave an oily deposit on the brush filaments, which can be one cause for spotting.

Only soaking the brush in water won’t remove any oil, you should clean the brush with a suitable detergent/soap to allow the oil and water to mix so any oil can be removed from the brush filaments.

Brushes are not entirely self cleaning and its wrong to think so, oil is just one example; compare a new or cleaned brush to a used brush that hasn’t been cleaned. Periodically cleaning your wfp brush is good for business; you will be more confident and clean faster knowing the brush you are using is clean.

Richard

Just keeping the brush soak in the water whole ***ht is sufficient for the cleaning of brushes.

Cleaning traffic grime from windows & frames will (eventually) leave an oily deposit on the brush filaments, which can be one cause for spotting.

Only soaking the brush in water won’t remove any oil, you should clean the brush with a suitable detergent/soap to allow the oil and water to mix so any oil can be removed from the brush filaments.

Brushes are not entirely self cleaning and its wrong to think so, oil is just one example; compare a new or cleaned brush to a used brush that hasn’t been cleaned. Periodically cleaning your wfp brush is good for business; you will be more confident and clean faster knowing the brush you are using is clean.

Richard
What soap would you recommend to clean your brushes ?

I've been using a pole system for over three years now and have never cleaned my brushes. I thought about it at first but figured it's getting soaked in pure water so being cleaned all the time. Dirt doesn't soak in to the plastic so there's no need to worry. Obviously if you get oil or resin or something on it you'll need to clean it but just soapy water should do it.

I dont think there is no need to clean brushes i use separate brushes for gutter cleans so all my window cleaning brushes have had just pure water though them

Hi Andy,

As mentioned you may not need to use a detergent everytime; any mild soap should be adequate, similar to what you would use when you trad clean. You only need to use a very small amount for each brush, once it’s been cleaned thoroughly rinse the brush clean with pure.

You can clean much faster when you are using a clean brushes, I change the brushes regular to maintain my cleaning times; I give the brushes a quick clean at the weekend so they are ready for next weeks work.

I’m all for speed of cleaning; I don’t like to spend any longer than necessary when cleaning, Aerial brushes are fast to use but even when these brushes get dirty you have no choice but to spend a little longer cleaning.

Richard

keep meaning to soak over***ht in pure but never get round to it.

I keep it clean, ie don't let bristles lean against wall/drop on floor. the odd first clean I put abit of soap to clean windows up which will do brushes too.

if bristles have got real dirty off a sill or something I give it a good banging on a sill with water on, gets it all cleaned up enough.

Latest Posts

Back