Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hi

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Macks

Hi,

Please to meet you all.

I own a handyman business, looking to expand by adding window cleaning, so finding the best way to start up.

Great place you've got here, been reading the tutorials, although the supplier links don't seem to work?

Was looking at: http://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/threads/getting-started-in-window-cleaning-a-4-page-primer.7124/#post-101664

But the links come up with an error, was interested in backpack system, as want to go WFP route.

I saw a kit on another website: "hotwash waterfed pole trolley system"? Is this worth it or too expensive for newbie?

Cheers everyone.

Welcome to the party Macks , good bunch a guys and gals on here ,

I take it you've been looking on the window tools forum ,, I was thinking of going down the hot water route , still researching it I use a cold water trolley system from pure freedom . I didn't have enough time to research the DIY route which is cheaper ,,,

So I hear hot water is better ,,,,, good luck

Where you based ,,,?????

Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

Being a handy man why not make a trolley system? It will be a hell of a lot cheaper so ur investment will be safer, also u can use it for doing conservatory roofs. I have a thread on how to make one in the diy section, if u have a van u should use a better trolley than i use even though it suits me very well.

Welcome matey.:thumbsup:

Theres a few handymen on here, myself included. For what its worth, I personally wouldn't go the route you are planning, at least not at the moment anyway. If you don't have a round yet, then I would recommend going the traditional route first. For a start, its nice and cheap, and also you won't have a grand or twos worth of equipment lying about with no customers to use it on. Also, if you decide to give it up, theres no real loss. WFP also takes up a lot of room in a van, so if you are planning to mix it in with other jobs then it will impede your ability to carry certain materials or tools, without a lot of faffing about at least. Good luck whatever you decide,and keep us posted.

Welcome to the party Macks , good bunch a guys and gals on here ,
I take it you've been looking on the window tools forum ,, I was thinking of going down the hot water route , still researching it I use a cold water trolley system from pure freedom . I didn't have enough time to research the DIY route which is cheaper ,,,

So I hear hot water is better ,,,,, good luck

Where you based ,,,?????
Thanks for your replies. Yep it was Window Tools site, didn't know they had a forum, the trolley just came up in google when searching for startup kit.

I could build my own, though I haven't looked deep enough into this to understand exactly what I'd need to do so.

I take it I could build my own verson under the £1200 they're asking?

Is hot water the route to go or not worth it?

Thanks again.

Thanks for your replies. Yep it was Window Tools site, didn't know they had a forum, the trolley just came up in google when searching for startup kit.
I could build my own, though I haven't looked deep enough into this to understand exactly what I'd need to do so.

I take it I could build my own verson under the £1200 they're asking?

Is hot water the route to go or not worth it?

Thanks again.
U can replicate my trolley for about £75 then theres the pole and brush etc and water purification equipment, water containers.

Tolishapurd is right, u should try traditional as its a lot cheaper, plus im a big believer that both methods are best to have, u will find quite a few hybrid window cleaners on here, myself included.

Welcome matey.:thumbsup:
Theres a few handymen on here, myself included. For what its worth, I personally wouldn't go the route you are planning, at least not at the moment anyway. If you don't have a round yet, then I would recommend going the traditional route first. For a start, its nice and cheap, and also you won't have a grand or twos worth of equipment lying about with no customers to use it on. Also, if you decide to give it up, theres no real loss. WFP also takes up a lot of room in a van, so if you are planning to mix it in with other jobs then it will impede your ability to carry certain materials or tools, without a lot of faffing about at least. Good luck whatever you decide,and keep us posted.
Sounds good, though wouldn't taking a ladder everywhere be just as cumbersome?

Haven't got a van, using a medium estate car.

If I was to get a van, does WFP need transit size van, or is Astravan size ok. I was actually thinking of getting a berlingo or Kangoo so I'd get te seats in the back.

U can replicate my trolley for about £75 then theres the pole and brush etc and water purification equipment, water containers.
Tolishapurd is right, u should try traditional as its a lot cheaper, plus im a big believer that both methods are best to have, u will find quite a few hybrid window cleaners on here, myself included.
So we're talking what, a few hundred for everything if I go trad? Haven't got a 20ft ladder either.

How much is the backpack on that broken link.

Most wfp vans have a 400litre tank and regular vans are fine with this so a berlingo type is fine. I use a car with my trolley for upstairs and can fit up to 8 25L water containers inside, more than enough for a full day when only wfping the top windows and tradding the bottoms, u would only wfp half a day if u wfp the bottoms as well, hence the hybrid style works well with a car. U can also put ladders on roof rack and they dont take up any room.

So we're talking what, a few hundred for everything if I go trad? Haven't got a 20ft ladder either.
How much is the backpack on that broken link.
If u went trad only you are taking £150-£200 depending on what ladders u get as they are the biggest cost.

Check this

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/SKU148.html

Those backpacks only carry 20L and when u run out which will be quick, u need to ut new water in from another container, whereas if u make a trolley you simply swap the empty container for a full one

Sounds good, though wouldn't taking a ladder everywhere be just as cumbersome?
Haven't got a van, using a medium estate car.

If I was to get a van, does WFP need transit size van, or is Astravan size ok. I was actually thinking of getting a berlingo or Kangoo so I'd get te seats in the back.
Not really mate, as the ladder sits on a roof its no real bother. Although i always try and take my ladders off when i'm not window cleaning as it is terrible for fuel economy. WFP gear takes a lot of space up in a van, so the smaller the van, the less space you'll have for other tools and materials. I wouldnt even dream of trying to run a handyman and WFP window business out of a car or hatchback. I find it a pain in the hoop bringing my trad tools in and out and I have a large caddy van. Pickingpaul raised a good point about having trad skills, as you will come across many windows where trad is just quicker and easier, not to mention interiors.

Oh ok.

I was swaying towards WFP as I imagined ladder work was a lot more dangerous. Weirdly my current liability insurance only covers me up to 2 meters above ground, so would have to change that.

So I guess wait til business is good enough, then get van and go WFP?

Oh ok.
I was swaying towards WFP as I imagined ladder work was a lot more dangerous. Weirdly my current liability insurance only covers me up to 2 meters above ground, so would have to change that.

So I guess wait til business is good enough, then get van and go WFP?
Everyones needs are different mate, but thats what I would recommend from my experience. That said i don't think anyone should jump straight in to WFP without having worked a bit of trad, and most importantly have the customers to pay for it. customers are not as easy to come by in this game as you would think-it takes time. Trad isnt that dangerous when you work safely and are safety concious every day.

Go on net

Ladderstore or one of the other good companys

Lyte trade ladders are good

They need to be rated to bsn 130 i think it is for trade use or they won't be up to the job

Mine are 3 section 12 rung (8.5 metres) and were only 150 quid

And welcome bud

Bucket

Applicator

Squeegee 10"

A few cloths

All for around 50 quid so 200 would get you started trad

Build up custy base rhen decide if you want wfp

I do handyman/ roofing/mechanics but have always been a windie

It is worthwhile starting mate but start cheap if you can

What else is there??

You need a bucket an applicator and a squeegee and ladders