Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Smartphone, accessories, networks, deals, apps

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I've never used a bluetooth headset, but as they only cover one ear, I'm guessing they wouldn't be very good for listening to music, every phone I've ever got has come with heaphones anyway. Bluetooth is universal, all bluetooth works with all other bluetooth whatever make it is. Things have come a long way in ten years lol. Your best bet is to go into a shop and they'll be able to help you out with what you need /emoticons/smile.png

I've never used a bluetooth headset, but as they only cover one ear, I'm guessing they wouldn't be very good for listening to music, every phone I've ever got has come with heaphones anyway. Bluetooth is universal, all bluetooth works with all other bluetooth whatever make it is. Things have come a long way in ten years lol. Your best bet is to go into a shop and they'll be able to help you out with what you need /emoticons/smile.png
Cheers mate!

You can use your iPhone headphones to listen to music and also answer phone calls with them, there is a small speaker midway up the wires so you can talk hands free whilst working, and then continue to listen to music,

Though I never do this, I prefer to just hold the phone to my ear and chat that way..

You can use your iPhone headphones to listen to music and also answer phone calls with them, there is a small speaker midway up the wires so you can talk hands free whilst working, and then continue to listen to music,
Though I never do this, I prefer to just hold the phone to my ear and chat that way..
I would prefer the same, if I didn't have issues with understanding of any non-RP (non-BBC) English speech from any phone headset even in a quiet indoor environment. But it's my life...

Galaxy note 3 or s5 is what you need
I agree completely, I have the Note 3 (Samsung, latest model is the Note 4)

Main features i like is the huge screen and they stylus for handwritten notes when you don't have time to mess with keyboards.

I use the 'Paypal Here' app to accept card payments on the go so the large screen is a bonus for older customers as they can see the screen clearer.

I have mine on a generic mount when in the van so I can boost up the battery if need be but I find a full charge lasts all day easy.

I also run my whole round now using 'Cleaner Planner' usually an add at the bottom of the page here, and I can highly recommend it, I keep track of around 500 customers per month on it all from the app and web based cloud service.

(you dont need web connection to use the app off line)

My whole world is run from my cell these days and another nice feature of Samsungs is 'blocking mode' or 'quiet time'

Mine is set so from 6pm till 8am monday to friday and all day weekends customers and unknown numbers are diverted right to voice mail but my 'approved' list of family and friends can still get through no problem. Saves dealing with customers at 8:30pm at night.

For music, I use Spotify, for £10 per month I can stream thousands of tracks and also have playlists available off line on upto 3 devices so I have it on my phone the wifes phone and the tablet at home.

As for bluetooth, if you want in van Parrot is the way to go, can deal with calls and music as well as navigation software no worries. Earpieces, I know the Jabra ones play your music but I have found them uncomfortable so mine is laying in a drawer.

I use the standard headphones that came with my Samsung, just have the right ear in and the other tucked in my shirt, works a treat.

For navigation apps I use CoPilot, 1 off payment of £9.99 lifetime upgrades. Most GPS take you 'near' where you want to go, CoPilot takes you to the door.

Mr Bump said iPhones are for kids and old people well neither my daughter or my grandmother would touch an iPhone.

With any phone on the market (except apple) your battery dies, you can change it, with an apple, your battery dies the phones a write off in most cases and you will be without it for weeks waiting for the 'genius' at the istore to repair it.

Almost all android phones can accept SD memory cards so you can expand your memory as much ass you like, not the case with apple, you get what you get when you bought it.

Well that's about it. iPhones are really for posers and wannabees that can say 'ooohhh I got an iPhone.

Yes the cleannerplanner app is expensive at £15 per month, that was my initial comment to him (the developer) but every feature and tweak to make it suit me that I have asked for has been implemented within just a few days.

I think the only time I will drop cleaner planner is when I quit the window cleaning.

Hope this helps.

I paid a lot of money to get out of a contract in which I was using an android phone.

Maybe I was unlucky but android did diddly squat to help. My phone literally stopped working and drove me to the point where I was more than willing to pay a big fee to get out of it.

I took the plunge and went for an i Phone and have found it brilliant so far.

I paid a lot of money to get out of a contract in which I was using an android phone.
Maybe I was unlucky but android did diddly squat to help. My phone literally stopped working and drove me to the point where I was more than willing to pay a big fee to get out of it.

I took the plunge and went for an i Phone and have found it brilliant so far.
Have you asked apple how much to get out of the contract yet? I'll bet you a pint they wont do it for kindness and love!

Something that not a lot of people know is the 'goods and services' act if you have any product on any contract, the contract provider is stating that the item is good for the duration of the contract.

If the item packs up within that time frame you should start in writing with blatant threats (polite but not veiled) to sue them under the goods and services act.

Proceed forward, the 'you signed a contract' excuse they give you does not hold much weight in court rooms these days as consumers are becoming more aware of their rights and not settling for substandard product.

I would wager that once summoned to court they will be quick enough to settle and either release the contract or issue a replacement phone to you to avoid bad press.

We (as a nation) are all too quick to roll over and be told 'oh well too bad' by these people and have developed the attitude of 'it's not worth the aggravation. Well until you stand up for your rights no one else will do.

can you use an i phone 1 handed ,up a ladder?

iv stuck with my old slider phone for that very reason

Have you asked apple how much to get out of the contract yet? I'll bet you a pint they wont do it for kindness and love!
Something that not a lot of people know is the 'goods and services' act if you have any product on any contract, the contract provider is stating that the item is good for the duration of the contract.

If the item packs up within that time frame you should start in writing with blatant threats (polite but not veiled) to sue them under the goods and services act.

Proceed forward, the 'you signed a contract' excuse they give you does not hold much weight in court rooms these days as consumers are becoming more aware of their rights and not settling for substandard product.

I would wager that once summoned to court they will be quick enough to settle and either release the contract or issue a replacement phone to you to avoid bad press.

We (as a nation) are all too quick to roll over and be told 'oh well too bad' by these people and have developed the attitude of 'it's not worth the aggravation. Well until you stand up for your rights no one else will do.
Wish I'd known that then!

But I still would have got another smartphone (in this case an i Phone) asap mate as I needed a phone in my hand by Monday morning as my phone is key to helping to run the business.

I have taken out all of the policies now, literally everything, so that if anything whatsoever happens then I get a replacement phone sent out in 24hrs. Costing me a small fortune but can't be dealing with all the small print anymore.

AS I have my earphones in and my tunes on I use S-Voice on my phone, reads out whos calling their phone number and asks if I want to accept the call or decline? I say one word and choice is made. Simples

Wish I'd known that then!
But I still would have got another smartphone (in this case an i Phone) asap mate as I needed a phone in my hand by Monday morning as my phone is key to helping to run the business.

I have taken out all of the policies now, literally everything, so that if anything whatsoever happens then I get a replacement phone sent out in 24hrs. Costing me a small fortune but can't be dealing with all the small print anymore.
What you may also be able to do, most bank accounts have some sort of insurance included in the bank fees (you will have heard about all the claim back companies on the radio)

Anyhow check with your bank as most accounts that have an insurance on them somehow cover your mobile also, all you need to do is register your phone number with them.

Worth checking into.

I don't even think about it boar, if I'm on the blower while working I'll still go up the ladder one handed, though not so much these days as I'm usually wfp,ing now, iPhone is easy to answer one handed as it just a slide of the finger

iv held off from getting an i phone as the lads who work for me kept breaking theirs. iv yet to see them get it out from a pocket and hold n use it with that same hand . the size seems to preclude it tho i might be wrong on that

I agree completely, I have the Note 3 (Samsung, latest model is the Note 4)
Main features i like is the huge screen and they stylus for handwritten notes when you don't have time to mess with keyboards.

I use the 'Paypal Here' app to accept card payments on the go so the large screen is a bonus for older customers as they can see the screen clearer.

I have mine on a generic mount when in the van so I can boost up the battery if need be but I find a full charge lasts all day easy.

I also run my whole round now using 'Cleaner Planner' usually an add at the bottom of the page here, and I can highly recommend it, I keep track of around 500 customers per month on it all from the app and web based cloud service.

(you dont need web connection to use the app off line)

My whole world is run from my cell these days and another nice feature of Samsungs is 'blocking mode' or 'quiet time'

Mine is set so from 6pm till 8am monday to friday and all day weekends customers and unknown numbers are diverted right to voice mail but my 'approved' list of family and friends can still get through no problem. Saves dealing with customers at 8:30pm at night.

For music, I use Spotify, for £10 per month I can stream thousands of tracks and also have playlists available off line on upto 3 devices so I have it on my phone the wifes phone and the tablet at home.

As for bluetooth, if you want in van Parrot is the way to go, can deal with calls and music as well as navigation software no worries. Earpieces, I know the Jabra ones play your music but I have found them uncomfortable so mine is laying in a drawer.

I use the standard headphones that came with my Samsung, just have the right ear in and the other tucked in my shirt, works a treat.

For navigation apps I use CoPilot, 1 off payment of £9.99 lifetime upgrades. Most GPS take you 'near' where you want to go, CoPilot takes you to the door.

Mr Bump said iPhones are for kids and old people well neither my daughter or my grandmother would touch an iPhone.

With any phone on the market (except apple) your battery dies, you can change it, with an apple, your battery dies the phones a write off in most cases and you will be without it for weeks waiting for the 'genius' at the istore to repair it.

Almost all android phones can accept SD memory cards so you can expand your memory as much ass you like, not the case with apple, you get what you get when you bought it.

Well that's about it. iPhones are really for posers and wannabees that can say 'ooohhh I got an iPhone.

Yes the cleannerplanner app is expensive at £15 per month, that was my initial comment to him (the developer) but every feature and tweak to make it suit me that I have asked for has been implemented within just a few days.

I think the only time I will drop cleaner planner is when I quit the window cleaning.

Hope this helps.
Of course it helps, Green. You seem to know very well what you are writing about. Thank you very much for sharing your profound knowledge here.

Green (or anyone else, if it comes to it), have you also got any tips and tricks on how to protect your smartphone against cold and frosty weather in winter time? Possibly any materials with good insulation qualities to wrap it in?

Green (or anyone else, if it comes to it), have you also got any tips and tricks on how to protect your smartphone against cold and frosty weather in winter time? Possibly any materials with good insulation qualities to wrap it in?
Smart phones don't need it, unless it's extremely cold, which it never is in this country,

There are literally 100's of cases on the market for all the phones mentioned to protect it if you dropped it!

Smart phones don't need it, unless it's extremely cold, which it never is in this country,
There are literally 100's of cases on the market for all the phones mentioned to protect it if you dropped it!
Well, when I worked in a cold warehouse 10 years ago, my old non-smart mobile's battery would get flat very quickly during its exposure to the cold environment. Moreover, on the Net I often read that in smartphones batteries make even bigger problems than in older mobiles. In a Carphone Warehouse shop I was also told yesterday, that nowadays there are no frost resistant smartphones around yet, but maybe only one non-smart model.

As to the English winters, in last 10 years I've experienced all sorts of weather during them, including quite unpleasantly frosty ones. But true, there is also a question whether it makes any sense to clean windows at all in a very cold weather.

I have a ruberized case on the back of mine so it bounces when I drop it, I also use the THICK screen protectors from ebay about £4 each, not the cheap floppy ones they charge way too much for.

My phone is always in my inside jacket pocket as it is wired to the headphones so I don't meed it out much.

You ask about frost proof but just how far you want to go? back in 2004/2005 I was working in West Yellowstone, minus 10 on a nice winters day, we would be using MacBooks in the jeeps and outside all day, we were initially worried about the LCD screens freezing but never had any issues with it.

The only screens I have heard having issues are Plasma screens. In the US in those big motor homes they have two Plasma Screen Tv's one for viewing below 5'000 feet sea level and another for viewing above 5'000 feet (I may be slightly off the threshold may be 10'000 feet) But that's the only screens I know with issues.

Also I forgot to mention I am on Vodaphone, I pay £40 per month and I have unlimited minutes, texts and data so I dont need to worry about extortionate charges if I go over my data stream.

It allows me to run email responses, use cleaner planner on line if need be as well as google maps or similar that require an internet connection whenever I like.

I have a ruberized case on the back of mine so it bounces when I drop it, I also use the THICK screen protectors from ebay about £4 each, not the cheap floppy ones they charge way too much for.
My phone is always in my inside jacket pocket as it is wired to the headphones so I don't meed it out much.

You ask about frost proof but just how far you want to go? back in 2004/2005 I was working in West Yellowstone, minus 10 on a nice winters day, we would be using MacBooks in the jeeps and outside all day, we were initially worried about the LCD screens freezing but never had any issues with it.

The only screens I have heard having issues are Plasma screens. In the US in those big motor homes they have two Plasma Screen Tv's one for viewing below 5'000 feet sea level and another for viewing above 5'000 feet (I may be slightly off the threshold may be 10'000 feet) But that's the only screens I know with issues.
Many thanks again, Green. I sort of knew you would give us yet even more interesting information. Regarding Vodafone, haven't you got any coverage issues? I've read their mobile network is weaker than those ones of EE and Three.

Back