Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Does Anyone Clean While Canvassing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Colley614

What I'm thinking of doing is going round the areas I've just leafleted and canvassing the houses.

But what I was thinking is taking someone with me and getting them to clean the windows on the houses I pick up.

Does anyone do this?

Whenever I canvass, I go alone, but am all tooled up and ready to clean any I pick up there and then. It's instant free

advertising and earning at the same time.

You have already done a lot of the legwork by leafletting. If when you go back you are all ready to clean them, you may get

seen by their neighbours, who may remember the leaflet and approach you.

John

nah i dont id rather clean when im supposed to be cleaning and canvass when i canvass .
Same u can only canvsss for 2/3 hours but cleaning in that time will take time away

if the customer wants it done there and then then it gets done there and then! i always pick up their neighbours while cleaning anyway

if the customer wants it done there and then then it gets done there and then! i always pick up their neighbours while cleaning anyway
Exactly! I don't always pick them up, but when resuming canvassing after doing a clean I can say with all honesty that I've just cleaned number x, so I am just calling to see if you would like yours cleaned.

John

I'm thinking of getting a mate out with me while he works, I'll canvass so he can do the jobs as I get them in

the problem with that is A, you only get 1 chance to make a first impression, your mates cleaning might not be to the same standard as yours, and B, you doing the clean gives you more of a chance to develop a rapport and trust with the custie

yep... why dont u just book them in for the week after instead of doing it their and then ?

if u book them it makes u look more professional... say to them i cant do them now as am fully booked this week... so ill have 2 u put u in for next week... the customer will be like yeah thats great /emoticons/smile.png

make it look as if your busy even if u arent... that way they wont think they can rule u and boss u about /emoticons/smile.png this is the way i do it /emoticons/smile.png thats why i got 150 customers in 4 months mate /emoticons/smile.png i dont clean their and then na mate.... if u do it their and then... they will think they can call u wen ever they want for their windows to be cleaned... make them understand their in a scheduled timetable etc

lol, none of my customers think like that, you need to understand there are always different ways of doing things, pro's and con's with each, and that im canvassing after i clean an area in the same area so they will be due now or next month, i give them that option.

oh yeah if u canvass after u clean then fair point /emoticons/smile.png better then waiting for 4 weeks lol

There are a couple of reason why I asked this question.

The first being that my friend has been cleaning windows for a long time and I trust his standards and he really wants to work but he doesn't want to canvass. I don't really like canvassing that much but if it's got to be done then I will have to do it. One thing that puts me off this is that I don't like the idea of loads of first cleans having to be done the next day, week or month. I'd rather get them out the way while I'm there. That way all I'd have to do was set a canvassing target and go for it and then once I've canvassed up to my target then I could just help clean windows for the rest of the day.

Secondly, a friend of mine started a couple of years ago. I went out with him the first couple of weeks he started up. He bought about £500 a months worth of work and we went into them areas where he had bits and pieces. He paid me an hourly rate to clean his existing customers while he went out canvassing. Once I finished the jobs he'd given me I started on the first cleans and to be honest he'd drum up about £100 a day in new work easily. I seen him a few months ago and when I spoke to him he had 2 vans on the road and was cleaning between 600-700 domestic jobs a month. This had all been installed on window cleaner pro and he just printed job sheets for both vans and sent them out. He now goes out and leaflets for a few hours a day. He returns to that area the next day with a canvasser and they both knock doors for about 4 hours and he gets about 10-20 new jobs on a day between his leaflets and him and his canvasser knocking doors. He has just bought another van and employed when I spoke to him the other week and he said he has around 1000 domestics on his books now and I don't think he's ever mentioned cleaning a window himself.

Argument is for both sides.

For example, during the DAY I'll clean windows, not canvass as time is more valuable to me midday and I can earn money when it's sunny and none in the evening when it's dark.

So I canvass at the end of days once money is in the bank and I know my bills are covered. So no, I generally don't clean houses AS I canvass as this is done late afternoon.

I doubt doing them there and then seems less professional, as people don't see professionalism as having a certain booking, people see professionalism as you providing a service that a consumer wants. So I don't see that as a valid argument.

The only thing that is valid in this argument is that people like different cleaners, some want a clean at a certain time on a certain day at a certain price, whereas some want it doing absolutely whenever and pay whatever as long as you don't bother them.

So I always evaluate a situation and act accordingly.

Back