Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What services go well with window cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

As long as i earn what my target is pw i don't care about hourly rate etc

Some weeks it's all regular customers and others it's all the 1 offs and fascias etc

Not saying what i expect pw as people will say too much/little depending where they live

Suffice to say it is enough for a very comfortable lifestyle

Here in Perth WA the water really eats the glass so therefore you get a lot of hard water build up. In oz they have a thing called retic which is basically a hose which goes under turf leading to sprinklers that are spaced out in people's gardens to automatically come on twice a week. Some of these sprinklers are set too close to windows so they spray all over them which leads to hard water build up on them. I buy some special cream which gets rid of the hard water build up and offer that as an added service for 'x' amount per window. I also use this cream along with a non abrasive scrub pad to clean people's shower screen which have hard water build up, the same goes for swimming pool screens/fencing. I also clean fly mesh. It's crazy what people pay for here.

Here in Perth WA the water really eats the glass so therefore you get a lot of hard water build up. In oz they have a thing called retic which is basically a hose which goes under turf leading to sprinklers that are spaced out in people's gardens to automatically come on twice a week. Some of these sprinklers are set too close to windows so they spray all over them which leads to hard water build up on them. I buy some special cream which gets rid of the hard water build up and offer that as an added service for 'x' amount per window. I also use this cream along with a non abrasive scrub pad to clean people's shower screen which have hard water build up, the same goes for swimming pool screens/fencing. I also clean fly mesh. It's crazy what people pay for here.
Hi keefo. Just had to look at a case exactly like this today - quote for hard water build up on residential windows. While I was able to remove some of the staining (did a test patch) with a synthetic steel wool pad and some paste, I could detect very fine scratches in the area I had worked on. As I had intended machining the rest of the windows (as I do with shower glass) I am concerned these scratches could be worse. Any tips?

Are you saying you've made the scratches? I generally use either 0000 steel wool or the white scourers which are specifically for glass and get good results especially on shower screens.

Are you saying you've made the scratches? I generally use either 0000 steel wool or the white scourers which are specifically for glass and get good results especially on shower screens.
It's hard to tell. Using the same grade steel wool as you, but the paste I used does have a 'gritty' feel to it, not my paste of choice but was all I had to hand at the time. The client or his wife couldn't see the scratches even when I pointed them out but I could. Like you, I use these materials on shower glass with excellent results, but wonder if the thinner glass in windows is less forgiving maybe?

My stuff has a griity feel to it also but that's what helps get rid of the calcification.

Where in NZ are you? We love it there.

My stuff has a griity feel to it also but that's what helps get rid of the calcification.Where in NZ are you? We love it there.
Do you apply by hand or machine?

Christchurch. Never been to Perth, meant to go to the chilli festival (Freemantle I think it was in - is that near Perth even?!) there a while back but that fell through.

I dampen the pad or wool, not too wet as i find if it's too wet you need a lot more cream, i then apply the cream to the scourer side of the pad and rub it in a circular motion by hand, leave for couple of minutes for the cream to break the calcification up and then rinse off. Some pool screens or windows need a couple of applications.

Keefo / Declan - if you look on youtube there is a video series called 'window wars' load of toss really just your usual yanks measuring cocks.

However in one episode they are dealing with hard water staining and simply do it with a scraper - (made me cringe but they got the result)

I personally have done total pane restorations using just lemons, cut in half and apply in circular motion.

Mr Bump, for UPVC restoration I start with good soapy wash to get rid of the lose debris, then something like Ubik as a first go, if that does not do it I break out something like CIF with a mild scourer. For actual scuff marks I like 'Magic Sponges' they do a great job and they are a real cheap.

What is the cream you use called..maybe can get it here

To great effect I have used cutting paste which is for cutting car paintwork and blending paintwork into scratches to remove them and imperfections in the paint

It has the consistency of gritty toothpaste but won't scratch anything

@Green i have tried lemons on your recommendation and it is good

The citric acid (well any acid ) will eat at limescale

Keefo / Declan - if you look on youtube there is a video series called 'window wars' load of toss really just your usual yanks measuring cocks.
However in one episode they are dealing with hard water staining and simply do it with a scraper - (made me cringe but they got the result)

I personally have done total pane restorations using just lemons, cut in half and apply in circular motion.

Mr Bump, for UPVC restoration I start with good soapy wash to get rid of the lose debris, then something like Ubik as a first go, if that does not do it I break out something like CIF with a mild scourer. For actual scuff marks I like 'Magic Sponges' they do a great job and they are a real cheap.
Hi Green.

I think I've watched that (was it All County and the other firm run by the ex cop?) but don't remember the scraping. It would have made me cringe too. Playing with fire with that approach, it works but the chances of scratching the glass (or even time delayed scratch growth) is high.

Never tried lemons but struggle to see how it would work on most of the ones I deal with!

Davey I've messaged you mate.

Green, thanks for that but you get a hell of a lot of hard water build up here so it would be a risk to take a bag of lemons to a house and time consuming i guess.

Where do you get your squeegee rubbers Dec in NZ. I've looked for Ettore hard rubber here and even on window cleaning warehouse website and they don't have it.

Where do you get your squeegee rubbers Dec in NZ. I've looked for Ettore hard rubber here and even on window cleaning warehouse website and they don't have it.
Lucky (I guess I use that word loosely) to have a few cleaning supply places local to me. Ettore is the only rubber they stock, unless you count the dodgy no name brand that I have found copper wire in once!

Can you get hard and soft..........sounds dodgy that saying
Yeah, it does! I actually don't know whether the rubber is hard or soft - no markings on the packets - but as there's only 1 variety available, it's a take it or leave it situation!

Tbh I go further and just look at my monthly earnings. If i work the days I want and come out with the money I want at the end of the month, then bob is fortunately your uncle.

Weeks can vary, and that means squat in calculations, it's not a true reflection

Latest Posts

Back