Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Employing workers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

harunh

A lot of people seem to be employing workers.... but the question is do you really need them lads? Cos when i start out... im not going to employ anyone untill i got to much work on my hands..... i will always go canvassing at 5-7pm /emoticons/biggrin.png but ill always clean windows from morning till evening if i have to !

Do you all just employ them to help you a bit ? Or do you leave them to it while you concentrate on other aspects of the business?

No offence but.... ive seen some window cleaners... paying their employees 40% of their income ? That is so stupid.... you should pay them like 40 pound a day... thats if their work 7 hours..... if they work 5 hours... just pay them 30 pound or 25 pound ?

If you owned a shop.... would you pay your employees 40% of your profit ? no you wouldnt so why do it with this ? you jsut put yourself out of pocket really.... just get a lad who wants to earn some money during the week for his weekend **** up... and he will put his head down once u pay him at the end of the week you wont see him for 3 days... he will be getting smashed... then hello again on monday morning

most window cleaners are just putting theirselfs out of pockets... and dont realise they just need to pay 5 pound per hour /emoticons/smile.png the money you save could pay for your bills etc /emoticons/smile.png

No offence mate but would you work for that, everyone deserves fair pay for hard days graft. I'll do every job myself until I have to get help (if ever) but if I earned someone 50 quid an hour and he gave me 5 I'd tell him to *******.

I think you need to start before dishing out advice on employing people. I think it's been said on here before cleaning windows is only a part of it. Not everyone on here has the same circumstances or goals. If you pay someone that little don't expect quality, loyalty or hard work. Sure there will be people that would accept that amount and still demonstrate the qualities above but those people are few and far between.

Employing someone is investing in your business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm true.... but pay them 8 pound an hour or something then.... but personally mate... i wouldnt pay people 40% of my income

I don't know anyone who pays an employee 40% of income...so not sure who your on about to be honest. And not sure if your on about employing someone, or just sub-sontracting a lad for a day or two a week to help out?

I agree with the others very much. If you pay peanuts...you get monkeys!

I sometimes contract a guy or two for bigger jobs that I have. They're my friends, already experienced window cleaners and I pay them very well. But I use to have a lad with no experience, never done a day's work in his life & he was so slow I think I was quicker on my own...I used to pay him what he was worth. It was still a very good hourly rate for a school leaver.

Like others said, everyone is different, so bit of a strange post really.

whats made u come up with all this stuff mate lol

if people do pay thayer right hand man so to speak 40% thay will be top draw loyal good workers always in on time no messing and trust werthy

i worked for a guy last year i was on £50 a day for 8am till 4 personally i'm worth a lot more than this imo i'm hard working do a proper job and can be trusted with anything so much so i did 3 days on my own when his misses was bad and id only been with him 3-4 months at this stage i got more then

life is simple mate you pay for what you get and thats really how simple it is.

cos i was on CIU ... some people pay 40% and one person said he pays 50% to his employee... so really his employee takes more home then him after a days work when you include costs and everything ect. Lol

I don't believe that...no one in their right mind would split earnings 50/50 with an employee...what's the point in running the business???

They might pay them 50% of something...but it aint income.

I think you need to start before dishing out advice on employing people. I think it's been said on here before cleaning windows is only a part of it. Not everyone on here has the same circumstances or goals. If you pay someone that little don't expect quality, loyalty or hard work. Sure there will be people that would accept that amount and still demonstrate the qualities above but those people are few and far between.

Employing someone is investing in your business.

Absolutely agree.

Harunh, have you actually been out and got ANY customers yet? Have you cleaned a customers window yet? Have you bought any equipment yet?

It seems you have all the ideas and every one politely gives you their advice but from reading your posts I get the impression your start is still a little way off.

I'm sure we will all wish you well in your endeavors, we've all started somewhere, but until you speak from experience............

Perhaps he earns £400 a day...Takes £200 as a wage...has £50 costs...then gives the employee 50% of what remains...maybe?

ref paying someone £40 for working 8-5 or £25-30 for 5 hours, do some homework or study and find out what the minimum legal wage is.

lol okay but on ciu one person said hes happy to split 50 50 thats all

and i havent started yet bought nothing.... but ive learnt another thing today and thats.... if you got a experienced window cleaner on your hands... then you gotta pay him good.... compared to a school leaver thats inexperienced /emoticons/biggrin.png

take what they say on CIU with a pinch of salt, they all make £300 a day but can afford a week of bad weather

the only reason some pay a % of the days taking is they are scared that the staff will take the work and do it cheap

hi harunh youve told us your young and waiting get a licence if your so enthuastic would you not get a set of ladders and some trad gear and work in your locality and see if window cleaning is for you theres talking and walking in life lets see can you walk the walk good luck anyway

We contract our staff certain days a week, and pay them minimum wage, however if we have to close down for the day due to rain, we still pay them for there contracted hours. We may ask them to work overtime to catch up, but that is paid as O/T on top of there basic. All our staff are through our PAYE system, and get all the legally en***led holidays, sick pay, etc.

I think when window cleaners say they they pay 40% they mean, 40% of the work they do, i.e. they earn £15 an hour in takings, and get paid, £6. Which is illegal, as the minimum wage is £6.08.

hi harunh youve told us your young and waiting get a licence if your so enthuastic would you not get a set of ladders and some trad gear and work in your locality and see if window cleaning is for you theres talking and walking in life lets see can you walk the walk good luck anyway
Hear hear, instead of wasting time thinking about what some window cleaning companies pay there employees, get out there and clean some windows. There is another guy on this forum, dont remember the name, he is trad, and doesnt have a licence because of poor eyesight. Yet, going by his last post on the subject, he is doing a roaring trade!, that is what you should be doing. What are you going to do if you fail your test again?. I have menioned on other posts that there is a windy round the corner from me, uses a bicycle, and has been for at least 10 years, always a smile on his face, quite content with his lot!. At least if you are out there doing trad, you are learning the ropes and picking up customers.

Iv paid my lad 50% befor. I sent him out by himself n i sat at home watchin telly.

But 40% regular is a pi$$ take.

I think they maybe pullin ur pi$$er.

£6 an hour is fair and iv worked for less.

turns there nose up at it then dont hire them.

As im a full time windy n have bin many years.

Iv seen people say many things about wat there guna n not guna do. N really there sat on there **** insted of gettin it done.

Good luck n hope u get some work done insted of talkin about it.

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys, if in the future I ever employ I will only do it when I can pay a good wage to a good worker.

Hear hear, instead of wasting time thinking about what some window cleaning companies pay there employees, get out there and clean some windows. There is another guy on this forum, dont remember the name, he is trad, and doesnt have a licence because of poor eyesight. Yet, going by his last post on the subject, he is doing a roaring trade!, that is what you should be doing. What are you going to do if you fail your test again?. I have menioned on other posts that there is a windy round the corner from me, uses a bicycle, and has been for at least 10 years, always a smile on his face, quite content with his lot!. At least if you are out there doing trad, you are learning the ropes and picking up customers.
i totally agree there several window cleaners round my area that just walk or put ladders on a bike and they do well thers also one bloke around town whos covers an area as big as mine and he walks every were with just ladders a bucket and rucksack

Sounds like a case of running before walking. It's tough out there but you seem IMO to think you will pass yer test and have loads of custys in 5 minutes. I admire yer dedication but as the others said get out there and clean a few.

Back