Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Climbing on roofs

WCF

Help Support WCF:

When it comes to footwear i don't care whether i am wearing trainers or my steel toe cap riggersIt's about balance not grip

If the surface is too slippery with moss or green muck then not worth the risk whatever footwear you have

A decent condition sloped roof will be fine even when raining
I'm not a fan of getting on a roof when it's wet.. For the same reason you have explained. With the footwear I I wear walking boots but I'm still not the best on getting off the roof on to a ladder in the wet in those boots as if I slip & I have a fear of it.. Like you said it's not worth it.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

its the unseen thatll get you in the end . that rotten wood under good condition felt . i think it was on this forum ,a long time windie was up his ladder and started wiping a sill ,well the stone sill was totally rotten but looked ok, and as he started to wipe the sill it suddenly gave way and broke off and he lost his balance in an instant and fell . i think he busted his shoulder

Last edited:
I am like a mountain goat on a sloped roof

Used to climb for recreation so am quite happy and in my element

Oddly I've never come across the need to climb before.

This was one commercial job. None of my domestics require climbing, can reach everyone with the pole. To be honest I wouldn't take any on that require getting ladders out.

Anyway told the guy can't climb it as I'm not insured. He's happy with me missing the 3-4 windows I cant reach so no worries.

Poles have reduced our trade into a bunch of risk adverse pansies. Get a grip spotting, scratching sills window squirters. Silicone, bird sh1t, pollen and don't forget air vents! You fail on every count. But you can't see it from down there!

Poles have reduced our trade into a bunch of risk adverse pansies. Get a grip spotting, scratching sills window squirters. Silicone, bird sh1t, pollen and don't forget air vents! You fail on every count. But you can't see it from down there!

Only 4 posts and already playing this game

I can see this is gonna be fun:devil:

I've been cleaning traditional since 1991 and now clean wfp because it is safer and quicker

Just because you are willing to walk all over conservatory roofs doesn't make that right

You may have been fine for 20 years but when you do slip and fall then you might learn your lesson

I used to climb for a hobby but doesn't mean i would go up a face solo (without rope) just because i haven't fallen yet

I have fallen off a ladder and done damage in the past..hard to fall off the floor though isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I also walk just about everything including con roofs, glass is safer than beams. The secret is in common sense and first class footwear. Google Shoes For Crews. I've used them for 20 years and never slipped.

walking on conny roofs is mental/ well it looks mental, i've a mate that always does it & it makes me cringe to watch him, as you say though if you know what your doing its fine

Only 4 posts and already playing this game
I can see this is gonna be fun:devil:

I've been cleaning traditional since 1991 and now clean wfp because it is safer and quicker

Just because you are willing to walk all over conservatory roofs doesn't make that right

You may have been fine for 20 years but when you do slip and fall then you might learn your lesson

I used to climb for a hobby but doesn't mean i would go up a face solo (without rope) just because i haven't fallen yet

I have fallen off a ladder and done damage in the past..hard to fall off the floor though isn't it?
i get your point but a lot of people do climb solo though don't they, like driving a car some will have an accident but most wont

I always try find a way round it than having to get ladder out the van 80% of the time I will but does drive me mad having to get it out just for 1 bloody window
There is no way around it for the few I do, well I guess missing that hard to get window would be one way around it but thats just naughty /emoticons/biggrin.png

Ive spent two years performing acrobatics up a ladder. A good windie will trad a first clean, so silicone isnt an issue there. Fact is, its safer and quicker to wfp. So as much as i enjoy the buzz of danger, I take stable comfort in safety and prosper for it. Though I've no problem walking on roofs. I'm thorough, i dont like leaving a window out.

Our @adamangler I think doesent like the graft lol.
To be honest I looked at it and thought what if I fall off or if I damage the roof. Then I though to get the ladders off will add time to the job. It took me an hour as it was and it was only a 40 quid Job so I came to the conclusion it wasn't worth the extra time or risk.

DoNT get me wrong if you said heres 100 quid jump up and get this windows I would without hesitation.

Not adverse to graft but it has to have reward to motivate me.

I must admit, I used to enjoy the challenge of those awkward windows when I was younger. Now I think, I'm risking my neck for a couple of quid. If the reward were greater I might do it, but generally it isn't so I don't.

Recently I saw a windy hang one half of his alli ladder over a plastic finial atop a conny roof and climb up it to clean a three foot square window. If that finial had broken he would have likely seriously injured himself falling off or through the roof. I know the guy was charging about £6 to do this 3 bed mid terrace house. He was risking his neck for less than a £. Not worth it! To me anyway. I'd rather enjoy my life in one piece.

I must admit, I used to enjoy the challenge of those awkward windows when I was younger. Now I think, I'm risking my neck for a couple of quid. If the reward were greater I might do it, but generally it isn't so I don't.Recently I saw a windy hang one half of his alli ladder over a plastic finial atop a conny roof and climb up it to clean a three foot square window. If that finial had broken he would have likely seriously injured himself falling off or through the roof. I know the guy was charging about £6 to do this 3 bed mid terrace house. He was risking his neck for less than a £. Not worth it! To me anyway. I'd rather enjoy my life in one piece.
tother week i saw a fellow standing on/walking along the gutterline of a typical conny as he scrubbed the roof and finials clean. id not hav the confidence to do it myself tho i can see how much quicker itd be doing it thart way

tother week i saw a fellow standing on/walking along the gutterline of a typical conny as he scrubbed the roof and finials clean. id not hav the confidence to do it myself tho i can see how much quicker itd be doing it thart way
Must've been a small chap surely. I doubt it would take my 230lbs.

Must've been a small chap surely. I doubt it would take my 230lbs.
he wasnt big no . a while ago i also saw a roofer resealing something on a conny roof he too was just walking on the roof[carefully] it shows it can be done

The beams on a conny roof will hold your weight

My issue is they are only thin and if you lose your footing you are then standing on a glass panel

Nearly all of us at some point are guilty or doing something slightly dodgy and unsafe but the fact is there are now safer ways to do things.

I'm mainly commercial so look at things in a different way but an accident could not just affect your health but your pocket.

Take the commercial job in the picture should you full off that roof the client may notify health and safety to cover himself if they find out your in breach of health and safety they can fine you.

A breach in health and safety can also stop you gaining new work when doing tenders.

The public have been known to report people as well I know a bloke who pulled a ladder up on to a flat roof above some shops to clean some Windows.Cctv saw him and reported it to the council who sent a h&s officer who made him stop straight away ,he got away with a warning but lost the job.

Another well known case happened a couple of years ago a window cleaner was walking around on the ledge cleaning windows a member of the public filmed him and put it on YouTube and it went viral.

H&S found out who he and the hotel was and fined them 2k and 11k.

So it's not just injury that can hurt you.

Back