Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pole Sizes

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Carl Parsons

im guna be starting out soon and was wondering what size poles you recomend i should get? i wana get two, and probs be doing a maximum of four floor houses...any help is much appreciated

18ft would do most normal houses, but if you can get a 22ft there is always that time u need a little extra.

for my 4 storey flats i do i use a 32ft pole and that reaches fine.

i also have a small 4ft pole that i use on bungolows, saves gettin out the big pole for a little job.

I have an 8ft three section pole, an 18ft four section, a 25ft five section and a 36ft carbon fibre pole.

I use the small one for bungalows and old cottages with low first floor windows, the 18ft is a great everyday pole for most houses. The 25ft pole is a little heavier but would be the better choice than 18ft if limited. The 36ft is only for four storey or difficult to reach windows.

If I could only have two I'd have the 8ft and 25ft unless I needed the 36ft then I'd go for 36ft and 25ft.

Having said that the poles I mainly use are 8ft and 18ft.

I have an 8ft three section pole, an 18ft four section, a 25ft five section and a 36ft carbon fibre pole.

I use the small one for bungalows and old cottages with low first floor windows, the 18ft is a great everyday pole for most houses. The 25ft pole is a little heavier but would be the better choice than 18ft if limited. The 36ft is only for four storey or difficult to reach windows.

If I could only have two I'd have the 8ft and 25ft unless I needed the 36ft then I'd go for 36ft and 25ft.

Having said that the poles I mainly use are 8ft and 18ft.
after this im thinking the 8ft is a necessity so i will deff be getting this.

im stuck between 18ft and 25ft

would the 18ft reach top of a four floor house?

after this im thinking the 8ft is a necessity so i will deff be getting this.

im stuck between 18ft and 25ft

would the 18ft reach top of a four floor house?
No it wouldn't, it only does the normal house. U would need at least a 32ft pole for them

I would say just buy a 32ft pole and be done with it .

I only use my ionics 32ft pole on all my jobs it's a very light pole so it's not a hassle to lump it around and collapsed length

Is around 5ft ish

I would say just buy a 32ft pole and be done with it .

I only use my ionics 32ft pole on all my jobs it's a very light pole so it's not a hassle to lump it around and collapsed length

Is around 5ft ish
i never thought of it that way, i guess everyone is different. is this a carbon fibre? i think if i was guna go down this route i wuold have to buy one that was going to last a long time, with using it day in-day out

Its a carbon mix pole but I find it very comfortable to use .

I can't see the point in buying loads of different length poles just have 1 pole that you can use that will cover you for the majority of your work and maybe have another smallish back up pole for emergency use .

I have the ionics grafter and have my extel fibreglass pole for a backup oh and not forgetting the Harris DIY pole if I can't use either of the others .

Its a carbon mix pole but I find it very comfortable to use .

I can't see the point in buying loads of different length poles just have 1 pole that you can use that will cover you for the majority of your work and maybe have another smallish back up pole for emergency use .

I have the ionics grafter and have my extel fibreglass pole for a backup oh and not forgetting the Harris DIY pole if I can't use either of the others .
yeah good point, if that one breaks your screwed if got no back ups, cheers for info /emoticons/smile.png

I got 2 poles one is a slx25 which i use everyday /emoticons/smile.png the other is a smax40 which i use on a 1,2 jobs a month /emoticons/smile.png

I bought a Gardiner SL-X30 and have been using it on every window for over a year, it's just so light. One pole does it all.

Recently I purchased a section #7 so I can extend it to 35ft. I took the bottom #6 section off my 30ft pole and store it in a tube on the truck with the new #7 pole section. So now I'm using a 25ft pole with two extentions available when I need them. If I need to go higher than 35ft I can always buy another section.

I have the new SL-X pole with the quick release brush clamp, so it'll be a breeze to add and remove the two extentions.

I bought a Gardiner SL-X30 and have been using it on every window for over a year, it's just so light. One pole does it all.

Recently I purchased a section #7 so I can extend it to 35ft. I took the bottom #6 section off my 30ft pole and store it in a tube on the truck with the new #7 pole section. So now I'm using a 25ft pole with two extentions available when I need them. If I need to go higher than 35ft I can always buy another section.

I have the new SL-X pole with the quick release brush clamp, so it'll be a breeze to add and remove the two extentions.
hi,

o have been looking at these lately and they do seem like very good poles! amazing reveiews. is good to here there light because after all this is very important.

im guessing you would recomend gardiner poles highly?

For me a lighter and stiffer pole is a better pole because those two features allow me to move faster and work longer hours and that means more profits in my pocket.

PS

If you've got employees who are a bit rough on the equipement you might want to get them a more durrable heavier pole to work with but don't expect them to clean as many windows in a day and bring in as much money as someone working with a Gardiner Super-Lite Pole.

im guna be starting out soon and was wondering what size poles you recomend i should get? i wana get two, and probs be doing a maximum of four floor houses...any help is much appreciated

25ft carbon fibre is a good all round pole, you should be able to reach 30ft. If you don’t need a longer pole than that to start with, don’t buy it until you need it.

If the collapsed length of the pole in less or about the same height of you, it will be quicker to use on ground floor work as well (you can cut poles down yourself). The other consideration is the stiffer or more rigid the pole is the quicker it is to use; cleaning 1st floor window is just a quick as cleaning ground floor windows, when using a quality pole that is totally rigid, at this height the pole shouldn’t have any flex at all. All the cleaning effort goes directly to the brush and onto the window.

If most of your customers windows are ground floor & 1st floor, spend your money on a quality pole – this is your main pole that will earn you the bulk of your money; and if you only have a few windows above this height spend less on the pole, as it will earn less.

Good luck

Richard

25ft carbon fibre is a good all round pole, you should be able to reach 30ft. If you don’t need a longer pole than that to start with, don’t buy it until you need it.

If the collapsed length of the pole in less or about the same height of you, it will be quicker to use on ground floor work as well (you can cut poles down yourself). The other consideration is the stiffer or more rigid the pole is the quicker it is to use; cleaning 1st floor window is just a quick as cleaning ground floor windows, when using a quality pole that is totally rigid, at this height the pole shouldn’t have any flex at all. All the cleaning effort goes directly to the brush and onto the window.

If most of your customers windows are ground floor & 1st floor, spend your money on a quality pole – this is your main pole that will earn you the bulk of your money; and if you only have a few windows above this height spend less on the pole, as it will earn less.

Good luck

Richard
great bit of advice this...

makes very good sense. i could purchase a high quality 25ft and use this until i NEED a larger one.an when i do dont spend as much as i wont be using it as much. couldnt be more simple /emoticons/smile.png thank you! this is priceless advice you just cant get else where

great bit of advice this...

makes very good sense. i could purchase a high quality 25ft and use this until i NEED a larger one.an when i do dont spend as much as i wont be using it as much. couldnt be more simple /emoticons/smile.png thank you! this is priceless advice you just cant get else where
I use a 25ft pole as my every day pole. Instead of getting another pole for higher work how about doing what I did? Get two more sections to add on when you need them.

Back