Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Just Starting

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Sambo1234

Hi guys i have been looking into starting a window cleaning round i am currently working full time but will start on the weekends and see how it goes. I have bought all the actual window cleaning equipment i think i need apart from ladders. i am a bit worried about ladder safety. i have seen some a lot of different aids to help i was woundering if any one could give me some advice and maybe some dos and donts as i am a newbie and only 21 so i dont want to cripple my self for the rest of my life if possible haha /emoticons/biggrin.png

welcome to the window cleaning world....that is a good idea to just start out at the weekend, also a lot of customers are about and will see you so you will pick up work fast and of course if its not to your liking you can still change your mind...top dog mr smurf is the best to advise .....i can say that when my 3.5 ladders were worn out i bought the bigger 4.2 even though i don't really need it and it is heavier but i am glad i did...no stretching and it doesn't move.. ..common sense at the foot of a ladder is your best friend....i always jump on the first rung on grass to sink it in a bit and repair the damage afterwards with my foot, and take much more care on wet days...one more tip i can pass on is a weed wand burner, believe it or not.....you can burn the spot you park your ladder dry....on a lot of windows it may be better to go above the window...i have had forty years on a ladder and been pretty lucky as a sole trader with no one to foot the ladder i have only fallen the once and that was my fault...so take your time and hopefully you will be alright....remember if in doubt leave it out...its not worth the risk.

double ten rungs are what i use for most of my houses. dont bust yourself up by buying ladders that are too long as theyll hurt you if you are busy . you will need to get them down passageways . i say buy trade ladders made by LYTE , or any trade ladder ,should last you years and are safer in winds ,to a certain point.

Welcome to the forum @Sambo1234 I am sure you will find all the help and advice you need here. Good luck on your new vanture, be sure to keep us posted on your progress. /emoticons/wink.png

Get some wedges cut for leveling your ladder. Ill take some snaps for you tomorrow and show you what I mean. Footies and Ladders Mats will also come in handy. Go for 20ft Ladders to start, that will keep you at a safe height.

When you erect your ladder. You will have one hand holding the side of the ladder, then one pushing the ladder up. Always have your feet in front of the foot of the ladder, at the side your hand is holding. Its to stop it twisting, and becoming unstable as you push it up. You can imagine its important to have a good steady hold of it. The last thing you want to do is drop it on a car.

Never go so high on the ladder, you cant reach the last rung. Its different for people of different heights. For me if I am standing on the fourth from last rung, I can grab the last rung ok. Any higher its taking a risk.

Watch when racking on slippery surfaces. Slimey Decking, icey conditions, Wet leaves. If you have any doubt leave it. Having a trad pole there to hand, to switch to can be you biggest safety investment. We carry a 10 foot pole for shops, plus a 25ft trad pole, which I have used plenty of times when surface conditions were just not suitable for ladders.

There is usually a guide on the side of new ladders, but the footing should be 1/4 to 1/3 of the erected height of the ladder. So If its errected 18ft then your footing should be between 4.5ft and 6ft away from the building.

It really is a massive subject, so others can add more...

Cheers guys for all the help all i have got from my mates is you could lick the windows clean lol! that was going to be another question mrtaytay i thought canvas on Saturdays and clean on Sundays as then i wont have to wait a week if i get work but then i did think people might not want me cleaning them on sunday? all my gear is coming tomorrow buzzing cant wait!

also those ladders look good and not to expensive

I have LYTE ladders. Very good. I have rubber mats for uneven ground. Ladder mits. Stand off. A ladder mate which fits on the bottom 2 rungs & stops the ladder skidding down a wall. Aluminium spikes that fit into the gaps on decking to stop the ladder slipping. Wet decking is the worst. I use all of them at sometime or another. I don't take chances. If a house takes me a extra 5 mins to do coz I gotta use one of these or fit it on I don't mind. I feel very safe.

Well I promised a few pics, so here the are...

You wont always be able to just rack to the bottom on the window, and reach the top of the window without any problems. To avoid being temped to go too high on the ladder, its better to at times, go to the side or even above the window.

hhdp.jpg

Once up there a short extension handle can also help you reach any awkward bits without having to tiptoe on your ladder or dangle off it dangerously.

z68b.jpg
blyb.jpg

Now wedges, when using one, I always put put boot behind the feet of the ladder, and give the wedge a few knocks in with the heal of my other boot. Just to ensure its wedged in tightly and this improves the ladders grip on it.

z30z.jpg
vrjr.jpg

here is a link to the ladder footee I was talking about for decking as well...

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/shop/index.php?option=com_aceshop&route=product/product&filter_name=ladder&product_id=1376&Itemid=73

hi...forgot to mention...a good spatial awareness is essential.....always look at both ends of the ladder as you move it....sat dishes washing lines...a windowcleaner favorite.especially when it hooks through your ladder guides........plants, people and of course cars....always keep your eye out and dont worry every window cleaner ends up in roses bush.....:devil:

cheers guys honestly means a lot that you have taken time to reply! got all my stuff today and practiced on some of my windows its alot harder then it looks lol but i am sure i will get the hang of it will keep you guys posted on how it is going asked my local pub if they used a window cleaner and they said they got it done for a £100 every few months! and would let me know when it next needs doing /emoticons/smile.png

That's what were here for! /emoticons/wink.png keep us posted on your progress and if ya need help were here. :thumbsup:

hi...forgot to mention...a good spatial awareness is essential.....always look at both ends of the ladder as you move it....sat dishes washing lines...a windowcleaner favorite.especially when it hooks through your ladder guides........plants, people and of course cars....always keep your eye out and dont worry every window cleaner ends up in roses bush.....:devil:
And over head electrical cables.

Chimagineers guys for all the help all i have got from my mates is you could lick the windows clean lol! that was going to be another question mrtaytay i thought canvas on Saturdays and clean on Sundays as then i wont have to wait a week if i get work but then i did think people might not want me cleaning them on sunday? all my gear is coming tomorrow buzzing cant wait!also those ladders look good and not to expensive
Still not too sure about cleaning on a sunday. I Imagine some people wouldnt like it, but you can always ask them. If you canvass on a saturday and gain a few customers then you could just tell them that you will do their windows the following saturday. Once you have done those windows (on the following saturday) then carry on canvassing for the rest of the day. You could also canvass when you knock off from your day job, seeing as we will soon have light nights.

Still not too sure about cleaning on a sunday. I Imagine some people wouldnt like it, but you can always ask them. If you canvass on a saturday and gain a few customers then you could just tell them that you will do their windows the following saturday. Once you have done those windows (on the following saturday) then carry on canvassing for the rest of the day. You could also canvass when you knock off from your day job, seeing as we will soon have light nights.
yes sunday cleaning is a bit of a no no, but if you call and say i will clean next saturday unless you want me to clean just this time on a sunday...some would say yes, knowing you were coming .....but dont knock on my door on a sunday.....i be very busy......he he he....:devil:

Hi guys i have been looking into starting a window cleaning round i am currently working full time but will start on the weekends and see how it goes. I have bought all the actual window cleaning equipment i think i need apart from ladders. i am a bit worried about ladder safety. i have seen some a lot of different aids to help i was woundering if any one could give me some advice and maybe some dos and donts as i am a newbie and only 21 so i dont want to cripple my self for the rest of my life if possible haha /emoticons/biggrin.png
Hi there,

Just starting my own window cleaning business and getting my stuff together.So after reading this post ^ i wondered what ladder/s you went with.

P.s..hows your window cleaning business going?

yes sunday cleaning is a bit of a no no, but if you call and say i will clean next saturday unless you want me to clean just this time on a sunday...some would say yes, knowing you were coming .....but dont knock on my door on a sunday.....i be very busy......he he he....:devil:
what ya up to on sundays mate:whistle:

Back