Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scraper blades

ive read that the new Unger stainless steel blades dont rust, be great if thats true but im suspicious

i have used Triumph stainless and Unger carbon steel up to now-all rust badly, id not recommend

What do you use? I only use one every now and again, but when I come to use it, it's usually rusted up.
Recommendations please.
I always wipe mine off with a clot at the end of the day and it's fine

When i forget then i get a rusty one

You can get stainless steel ones mate, they shouldnt rust as quick.

Not sure if you do this already, but if you don't you might find it helps. Everytime I use the scraper, I carefully wipe the sides of the blade with my sill cloth. Even thought the sill cloth is wet it gets rid of the standing water on it which rusts it quickly. My blades tend to last a lot longer now I do this.

Got one of the little unger scrapers, barely use it, as scared I scratch the glass, when it comes out the blade is rusty, i think the blades are supposed to get changed often in them, since they are not made to last:thumbsdown:.

hmmmm, i seem to have to throw away the whole scraper as i can never change the blade....

i am quite happy with my blunt rusty blade until they snap...

hmmmm, i seem to have to throw away the whole scraper as i can never change the blade....
i am quite happy with my blunt rusty blade until they snap...
Yeah, I tend to chop half a finger off trying to change a blade. Saying that, I've just ordered 10 for £2.99 off eBay Dave :thumbsup:

BTW I'm going to call you Dave for ever more now Dave :laugh:

its okay tuffers....half my custys know me as dave...er ...its only a problem when they write a cheque..ooops...

er ...wheres my tuffers online link.....i only use six inch mind you....as the bigger the better....:rolleyes:

find that if you coat the slider with a dab of vaseline it stops it all rusting up inside

ta boar i will try that....i have a nice collection of five scraper holders awaiting my mending skills which of course wont happen..../emoticons/biggrin.png

along with ....broken boab...broken belts....etc.etc...one day i will get the glue gun out...

I had one of the Unger ones, and it kept rusting up, and that is because it was open to the air. I now have nice proper Unger pouches with pockets, so I keep my scraper inside a pocket, and after use wipe with sill cloth, and then a quick wipe (to dry) on my jeans, then back into the pocket. I've had it like this for about six months and my scraper is as good as new.

You can get stainless steel ones mate, they shouldnt rust as quick.
Not sure if you do this already, but if you don't you might find it helps. Everytime I use the scraper, I carefully wipe the sides of the blade with my sill cloth. Even thought the sill cloth is wet it gets rid of the standing water on it which rusts it quickly. My blades tend to last a lot longer now I do this.
yeh thanks for reminding me of the day i wiped my blade with my sill cloth only i didnt....for some reason....i wiped it with my finger.:eek:...oh that feckin hurt...i must stop rushing...it was getting stickers of new builds and wiping of the gluey residue...

i just want a blade i can change nice and easy without any hassle ...i havent changed one for a while but its so funny to see my hands shake when i do change em......

I shake anyway so my missus likes to keep any sharp objects out of my reach for some strange reason./emoticons/biggrin.png

yeh thanks for reminding me of the day i wiped my blade with my sill cloth only i didnt....for some reason....i wiped it with my finger.:eek:...oh that feckin hurt...i must stop rushing...it was getting stickers of new builds and wiping of the gluey residue...
i just want a blade i can change nice and easy without any hassle ...i havent changed one for a while but its so funny to see my hands shake when i do change em......
We've all done that mate. I always find that all the dirty water off the windows gets it really infected very quickly making it even more painful. No one told me this job was dangerous.....I'm off. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Sorry if I'm teaching to suck eggs mate, but you'll find it a lot safer to hold both hands on the handle and use a wall or worktop to flick the little switch thing, and then to push on the edge of the blade holder. No danger of cutting then.

iv been relying last 3 years on the 6 inch Unger ergotec scraper ,each of my workers carries one so i can speak with a bit of know how on this scraper-

its pants!!

the slider is made from a soft plastic , hugs rust and its poorly moulded too . i will be replacing these quite soon , maybe give the Ettore scraper a bash

anyone got an Ettore? any good ?

Last edited:
iv been relying last 3 years on the 6 inch Unger scraper ,each of my workers carries one so i can speak with a bit of know how on this scraper-
its pants!!

the slider is made from a soft plastic , hugs rust and its poorly moulded too . i will be replacing these quite soon , maybe give the Ettore scraper a bash

anyone got an Ettore? any good ?
Yep, unger scraper is ****, mine broke on me very quickly. I can't speak for the ettore, but the Triumph is excellent. SImilar design to the unger except the clip on guard is better, and the materials are thicker and stronger. Nicer grip on it too.

I've never used the scraper before, but I've always liked the look of that tripod bucket. Would be nice to not have to bend down each time.

I use the unger retractable small scraper and the 4" wide scraper. In the past I had trouble with rusting on the retractable scraper. Like others have mentioned I now wipe blade and body dry after use and it dosn't rust anymore. Also I used to store my scraper in the BOAB. Now I put it in a seperate pocket somewhere.

They do recommend lubricating now and again. I use WD40 to keep things smooth.

Back