Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gravestone/ Headstone Cleaning.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dw1978

Hi guys, my first post as I've finally decided to take the plunge & offer grave restorations.
I can re-gild lettering & re-set the kerbs etc but I'm having a nightmare with my latest grave.
It's marble & hasn't been touched for 35 years. I've used two gallons of D2 Biological Solution at £60 a gallon which is what I use for most but this one is bad. I've got lots of black spots that wont lift & hoping someone can help. I've seen someone on here used Metaclear before from a search.
Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
@Dw1978 I've actually cleaned gravestones before, although unfortunately it didn't work as a business where I am due to low demand (demand is bigger in places like Scotland where people tend to be a little more religious and there are more graves). Black spots are usually lichen and are very difficult to remove without very strong chemicals. Green is not too tricky but black seems to really settle into the surface They almost eat into the surface of the gravestone. If you look up a channel 5 programme called "Amazing Cleans" there was a good feature on gravestone cleaning and restoration that may help you. There's also some fantastic facebook groups that I'm sure will be able to advise. Apologies I can't recommend a chemical, I only did minor cleaning and tending rather than full restoration.

Back