Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice please from newbie

Mcsandlaly

i climbed over an electric operated wooden gate three months ago to clean a regular customers large property. Bill landed today for 216£ gobsmacked accused me of causing the gate to drop. Sent me the bill. There is no sign on the old five bar gate to say don't climb over! Help. Advice please. Appreciated. Having a bad week car written off. Still got a van thankfully!

Have you cleaned the place since you climbed over the gate? If you have cleaned since then why have they waited 3 months to send a bill?

Sounds to me like the onus is on them to prove you did the damage, I would say this claim wouldn't go anywhere legally and your insurance co would back you up.

totally ignore it and totally dont worry about it...

unless....

they have a cctv covering it..

as in law there is absolute no proof what so ever that you caused the damage...

me thinks it was that very fat barsteward pigeon called fred...

seriously they havent a chance...they cant prove anything...

funny enough I am due tomorrow at an electric gate and yes I have gone over in the past but last two times I wouldnt go over and they didnt answer the buzzer..

well she has now sent her moby number to phone...

well I DID go over in the past as shes a sweetie but he can be a bit...er...

well he had a delivery whilst I was collecting my money off her and she said oh what was that at the gate...

and quick as a flash he said looking at me...oh its our new windowcleaner....

but i love him really well kinda jealous...

some people have the golden touch and he does...

but most of all DONT PANIC AND DONT WORRY...

and of course ..dont admit anything..

and seeing as this is serious I wont say the obvious...

blame it on frank...

anyway keep us informed as to what happens...

if nothing else...some of us lads may decide to have our annual wcf party at that particular location.../emoticons/biggrin.png

why is it all the arseyholes have all the money...?

Something is not adding up......

Not saying your guilty mate but how do they know you jumped the fence? Did you mention it on the day......& how do they know where you live?????

Bin it.

If hes that bothered he can take you to court, when you will say you didnt damage the gate. Unless they have video evidence of the gate actually being damaged during your climb there is nowt they can do.

Hes trying it on.

yeh not so sure tbh that the gate hasnt been installed properly because it should take your weight...unless...

your er...well er...not pc so I wont say..

and surely if a gate drops you can adjust it...

its not really adding up this../emoticons/biggrin.png

remember some people will try anything to make a buck..:whistle:

they know he climbed over when it was locked when u werre out with them did they say to climb over ??? how high is it ?? and was it a regular clean

first of all they should of supplied you with the code to open the gate /..

next counter measure them and buy a step ladder that goes over the gatre without touching it . then u can say u used that

my normal method is to split my ladder and place one half over the gate and step from one to the other with out touching anything...well I do lean my ladder half against a gate post...

the one tomorrow I did that but...york stone tops are quite soft and I dont like the risk and besides...she always wants me on a friday and friday is really the weekend ..:rolleyes:

well it is sort of....so tomorrow...one grass cut and one big gated one with the dog that attacks my feet and a fiver one hopefully no one in and back to my chair....

its sooooo near.../emoticons/biggrin.png

Cheers chaps very supportive! Only weigh in at 12 stone six foot two eyes of blue! It's an old five bar gate wooden. I did a quick vault over it. She doesn't know where I live it's a sub contacted job from another window cleaner who I do some work for. I think I shall ignore it for now. There is no sign on the gate. Lesson learnt don't climb over gates!

thanks for the post though as its a warning for all windies out there...be careful what you do....as you try to do your job../emoticons/biggrin.png

It was 3 months ago so even if they had you on cctv who's to say someone hasn't broken it since then

Just say yeah i did jump it what of it and prove i broke it

Or go round and post the letter back to them with some choice words to that effect

Alsoy understanding of the law if you are genuinely subcontracting work off him all complaints law suits etc are between him and them and he ends up out of pocket he can then take action against you

They have no right to contact you as the contract to do the work be it verbal or written is between them

Then they would also have to prove to him the damage was caused by someone working on behalf of him

If sky used a subcontracted firm to do an installation for you and done something wrong who would you be sueing??sky

Tell em shove it

anything snotty i never reply ,never go back either .

quite recently i had a lady email me -"can i ask you did you unravel my house and leave it all over the garden ? "

was tempted to reply "we had some difficulty getting inside your house yes but managed in the end thank you "

Last edited:
Back