Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Triple Ladders

WCF

Help Support WCF:

P

Paul

Had to extend my triple ladders out today for the first time for a gutter job, it's the first time I've used all 3 sections and man did it take some extending, is there a nack to it the ladders felt like they were going to fall i was pooing myself an that was just getting them up there must be a was to support them while extending

Hard to explain, but if your right handed, place your left foot against the left foot of the ladder, then hold the ladder away from the wall with your left hand pulling it towards you, then use your right hand to push the tier up. If its a tall ladder you may have to get on the ladder to push it up to its full length.

The main point with the foot placement is to have good control over the ladder, by placing your foot in front on the foot of the ladder, your are preventing the ladders feet from being pulled out, as you pull the ladder towards you with your hand.

Glad someone pointed that out or I might have been pooing myself when I get my new one as well lol. I'm only 5' 4" and about as far through as a wet chip wrapper so imagine how hard it is for me . Cheers Ladder

I use to stand on the first rung and bump the top section up against the wall to the third rung from the top then repeat for the second section.

I sure if you contacted Impact 43 they would be able to give you the best advice on ladder safty

I use to stand on the first rung and bump the top section up against the wall to the third rung from the top then repeat for the second section.

I sure if you contacted Impact 43 they would be able to give you the best advice on ladder safty
Not really any need now you and Ladder have pointed a couple of methods out.

my best advice when doing this is to place the ladder a little closer to the wall than usual, not too close though. This will make it easier to unhook the the tier to push it up to the next rung. Then just move the ladder into an more appropriate angle. Doing this means less of your body weight is being placed on the joints, and they will separate easier. However if you have never did this before, practice a bit with a set of 20ft doubles, before trying this with a heavier ladder.

Going too close the the wall can be dangerous though, remember that its your own weight that will force the tiers back together naturally while you push it up, if you go so close that you remove this weight, your may find yourself in a tricky balancing act. So as guide only, I would normally say 1/4 to 1/3 of the height away from the building when in normal use, so if its a 30 ft ladder, I would probably place it about 8 to 10 ft from the wall. When pushing the third tier up, I would have it, about 7 ft from the wall, to help reduce the weight, and make life easier as I push it up, but then go back down, and bring it back to about 8/10ft before climbing it.

Doing this with the ladder less than 7ft away from the wall, considering we are talking about 30ft in height. Would be IMO very dangerous, and would likely result in you losing control of the ladder while separating it, and will likely end up on top of you in a not so nice accident. So be careful.

you can also get little wheels fitted to the top of the ladder so you can push it up the wall whilst extending it, probably the best option safety-wise

Dodger your 5'4?! That's crazy, your avatar don't make you look small at all, I'm only 5'6 ! It's a pain being short and being a window cleaner lol

triple ladders bounce like crazy, just gotta deal with it.

i'm a fast cleaner, i put it down to my height (6'2"). you think being small effects your window cleaning?
Yes mate I do but only in that I cant push the double up as high and when you at top there are sometimes little windows I can't reach without a little 24" pole I use. I did a house yesterday that I had to do one side at a time and put ladder up sides of window as the window was about 6' tall and no way could I reach top with ladder underneath window. Need steps or stay on ladder for a lot of downstairs as well.
Doesn't bother me just makes it slower at times.

Had to extend my triple ladders out today for the first time for a gutter job, it's the first time I've used all 3 sections and man did it take some extending, is there a nack to it the ladders felt like they were going to fall i was pooing myself an that was just getting them up there must be a was to support them while extending
The main reason why i am " 100% " WFP /emoticons/wink.png

Lol /emoticons/tongue.png

"A" frame ladders every time for window cleaners. Wooden for my preferance, being heavier they move less if you are hit by a gust of wind. Also if you have to rest the frame against a window ledge or guttering, aluminium frames provide less friction and so slide easier. Finally in the winter, my wet hands have frozen to an aluminium ladder

"A" frame ladders every time for window cleaners. Wooden for my preferance, being heavier they move less if you are hit by a gust of wind. Also if you have to rest the frame against a window ledge or guttering, aluminium frames provide less friction and so slide easier. Finally in the winter, my wet hands have frozen to an aluminium ladder as soon as I touched it.
iv had my hands stick to my ali a frame in the winter too, not nice

I've got to go out and get a triple, I know I've said it before. Was gonna get some when my best double got nicked ages ago but after deciding to set up wfp for windows I can't reach I've not got around to it. I can't advertise gutter cleans though as I just can't reach with the double and have and been asked this week for the first time if I could do one and the second I said no sorry it hit me like a ton of bricks that I'm losing out on decent income by not doing them.

That's all I use mine for guttering, I fit a stabiliser and use a stand off I bloody hate the things

Back