Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Refused tax credits

francie

Alrights guys, as title says above, working tax refused me because my application wasnt commercial enough.

They said i didnt prove it was a commercial buisness, useless accountant.

Im actually a residential windy cleaner, can anyone give me hints an tips of whats good evidence to send them, ie buisness plan, would that help.

Thanks in advance, il not see this to later after work.

Good day

Surely you need to find out what proof they want to justify your claim. Once you meet those requirements then I can't see a problem with progressing your claim further.

I would imagine they would require written proof of money received whilst cleaning and legitimate business expenses. We have all that available on 'George' our computer driven window cleaning program, but other windies keep a written record in a book. You need to be able to account for the work you have done, your incomings, debt (payments not yet received for work done) and expenses.

In other words it will be a duplicate of your annual tax return, but they may require proof of the amount of work done.

When we first started window cleaning we were told by the Receiver to keep a record of the name and address of each customer we clean along with the dates of the cleans we do as well as the price we charged for each clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
This link may help. why do they even go after the everyday working man seams pointless to me. Just a reminder that you and I bailed out the banks that systematically and illegally gambled our savings, they spent the money and we picked up the tab and are still paying, any U.K. bankers in jail? Good luck hope it doesn't cost you too much time or lost sleep. The system is not equal or reasonable. Best wishes!

A word to the wise, I used to get Working Tax Credits -- They asked for my figures, I gave them, filled in the forms and they sent me money, thank you very much.

Then one day I get a letter telling me the bailiffs are coming if I do not repay over £4k (yes four thousand pounds) of working ta credits they had mistakenly sent me over a two and a half year period.

I called them and told them to do one, do not threaten me with bailiffs before taking it to a court! Guess what? Law changed in 2013, HMRC are no longer required to take you to court, their own in house people can make a decision and that's it the bailiffs are coming!!

Tread lightly with these ba****ds and be sure to never try to claim for a penny more than you're due, they will get you!

I came off it last year and decided to get more work I am now paying them back £1500, they now want proof of hours and I decided I didn't want the hassle.

I sent no evidence. Just told them how much I earn. Depending on next month I may be coming off them ASAP, as earnings will go through the roof and don't wanna be stung

You must show that you are trading on a commercial basis and your business is done with a view to eventually achieving profits. The business should also be structured, regular and ongoing.

It all changed last year, they now ask for evidence of your business.

That evidence can be your receipts, expenses, etc.

They may also ask for supporting documents such as a business plan, planned work, cash flow and profit projections

Sent from my CUBOT DINOSAUR using Tapatalk

It changes from county to county. When I was in Powys, they wanted to photocopy every receipt individually! Hours of fun.

@francie - have you had a look at the calculator to see if you're entitled to anything? WTC is for those in low income work, minimum wage jobs.

If you made £20k profit a year working 40 hours a week (that works out at £10.50 profit per hour) then you still wouldn't get a penny!

Obviously, disabilities and children can affect a claim but doing this job you're really unlikely to qualify which leaves you paying it back the year after...

Im low income earner mate, my last accountant sent receipts an customers adresses, then i was sent for more ifo, an the accountant ****** up, il get a buisness plan drawn up an try again, thanks much appreciated.

Im low income earner mate, my last accountant sent receipts an customers adresses, then i was sent for more ifo, an the accountant ****** up, il get a buisness plan drawn up an try again, thanks much appreciated.
No worries, spent years dealing with overpayments as others have said it can be a nightmare having huge debts hanging over you.:confused:

Always worth using the calculator and looking at what you're actually entitled to and remembering that if you've got your own business you'll probably be working to grow your profits.

i get wtc, £88 per week, you have to be working 30 hrs or more, it dosent have to be 30hrs manual work, canvassing, internet useage, but must come to 30 or more hrs.

You have to be seen making a proffit anually or they will stop it.

i started se 2013, every year i show im making a proffit ,

atm i just send my appliations back stating my income , they pay my wtc on that, mrs gets that. it all helps atm im making enough to get by + a bit more. better off than working for someone else

I'd be careful if I were you? You have to do more than 30 hours a week, if you run your own Business and you qualify for it DWP are going to be curious as to why you are working for what could be less than the minimum wage working for yourself? I got sent a letter saying they can ask for proof of earnings, proof of hours, you also may have to provide evidence that you are making a profit, show receipts and you can not also just have Residential work as you have to have Commercial as well, I decided it wasn't worth it anymore and got more work it's not difficult. I leafleted, Canvassed, advertised on Facebook, got a Website, pressed Customers on Con Roof cleaning, Fascia Board and Sofitts but you must put the effort in to yield I became reliant on these payments to help paying bills when really should have been growing the business and kicking them into touch but we had a kid to bring up then.

I'd be careful if I were you? You have to do more than 30 hours a week, if you run your own Business and you qualify for it DWP are going to be curious as to why you are working for what could be less than the minimum wage working for yourself? I got sent a letter saying they can ask for proof of earnings, proof of hours, you also may have to provide evidence that you are making a profit, show receipts and you can not also just have Residential work as you have to have Commercial as well, I decided it wasn't worth it anymore and got more work it's not difficult. I leafleted, Canvassed, advertised on Facebook, got a Website, pressed Customers on Con Roof cleaning, Fascia Board and Sofitts but you must put the effort in to yield I became reliant on these payments to help paying bills when really should have been growing the business and kicking them into touch but we had a kid to bring up then.

What you have said makes very good sense. /emoticons/wink.png

you do not have to do commercial work. not every window cleaner does commercial,, i got fed up of waiting for payment from a few i did, dumped. residential your monies there before next lean , Usually

Back