Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rinsing Question

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tuffers

I'm new to wfp and I'm concerned that I'm not getting a proper rinse on some windows. Some of the windows the water runs off like a sheet, but others have areas where the glass seems to stay dry however much you try and soak it. Will these dry parts be clean.

Also please offer some rinsing tips. I'm doing a zigzag, but I kind of think the glass aint getting a whole rinse this way.

Thanks.

The beading type sometimes don't look like its rinsing all of it, but usually is, optical illusions and all that

Why not mentally divide a bigger window that doesn't sheet into smaller vertical sections and you will find it easier to get a better rinse flow going.

I have generally found that whilst these are the windows that cause me the most concern, they are generally the ones that dry without issue.

WFP is all about the confidence you have to clean, rinse and walk away knowing they will be ok. Confidence isn't instant; it takes time to gain. The only way to gain confidence is to initially go back and check that the windows have dried off nicely. They don't have to be completely dry, and once you have satisfied yourself that they have dried OK then you can tick the box and go walk away confident that they will be ok when you next do them.

It takes time and effort to go from trad to wfp but once you have gone through the initial cleaning cycle, it just gets better and easier.

Why not mentally divide a bigger window that doesn't sheet into smaller vertical sections and you will find it easier to get a better rinse flow going.

Thanks! Good idea that is.

I can't remember the exact scientific words but glass acts in two ways with water. It attracts water or it is hydrophobic meaning that it repels water. That explains why some water beads and runs straight off when you put it on the glass, (hydrophobic) and some glass attracts the water and allows it to stick to it, giving the blanket effect on the glass. That explains the difference in the reaction.

With your technique of rinsing, if you are putting a lot of water on in the first place and the windows are cleaned monthly, you may not need to rinse at all. Of course, if it is a first clean, if you notice cobwebs and the like on the glass or if it has been longer than a month since you cleaned the windows, you may need to rinse, but even then, you do not need to go mad.

I have generally found that whilst these are the windows that cause me the most concern, they are generally the ones that dry without issue.

WFP is all about the confidence you have to clean, rinse and walk away knowing they will be ok. Confidence isn't instant; it takes time to gain. The only way to gain confidence is to initially go back and check that the windows have dried off nicely. They don't have to be completely dry, and once you have satisfied yourself that they have dried OK then you can tick the box and go walk away confident that they will be ok when you next do them.

It takes time and effort to go from trad to wfp but once you have gone through the initial cleaning cycle, it just gets better and easier.

Total Agree rinse rinse rinse cant go wrong

I'm new to wfp and I'm concerned that I'm not getting a proper rinse on some windows. Some of the windows the water runs off like a sheet, but others have areas where the glass seems to stay dry however much you try and soak it. Will these dry parts be clean.

Also please offer some rinsing tips. I'm doing a zigzag, but I kind of think the glass aint getting a whole rinse this way.

Thanks.
same here mainly on old windows ?

Thanks.

You don’t rely on the final rinse of the glass to clean, so don’t worry so much about it. Once you have maintained the windows a few times, and your knowledge and cleaning method is refined, you will know the final rinse isn’t always necessary.

Using the correct brush and ‘clean brush’ good flow of water, the final rinse is then left to your discretion for those windows that need it.

Think about it, what is the final rinse of the glass doing?

Richard

Some ppl prefer fan jets to standard pencil jets as they say gives a better/quicker rinse on hydrophobic glass

HydroPhobic Glass vs HydroPhilic Glass (explained using different jets)

Hope this helps?

When I started thinking of my rinse water as if it's a squeegee pushing the dirty water down to the bottom my windows started coming out perfect almost every time.

Good example Mike; that and removing ‘bits’ from the window, but a higher flow rate can eliminate this, just leaving those ‘bits’ on occasions.

If you are using a brush with an artificial & absorbent monofilament, you do need to do a final rinse every time, the brush itself will start to retain dirty water from the moment it is used, even when brand new. Boars Hair brushes not so much, especially when using a water flow rate that is much higher, which it should be with this type of brush to get the best from it.

Richard

I like your thinking Mike, nice way of viewing it. /emoticons/smile.png

The final rinse might be a bit belt and braces but I think it is a good habit to have.

I often wonder reading forum posts if some window cleaners ever get to meet a dirty window, I don't know, maybe in towns windows don't really get that dirty? Living on a small Island where the wind is ever present I find that quite a lot of windows are genuinely dirty, especially at this time of year when the trees and plants have dropped their leaves and the winter gales have started.

I don't have a lot of experience I know (understatement) but I'm liking fan jets, especially on hydrophobic glass. I just turn up the pressure and they rinse way faster.

Correct me someone if I'm wrong but wouldn't you just pull out the pencil jets and push the fans in the hole?

gardiners are in the making of new light weight fan jets that fit into a hole same size as a pencil jet, you just push in, they should be on sale the 20th of this month. jp

Latest Posts

Back