Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Part Time Jobs?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Damo your rite mate some lads up here do well but there doing 100s of houses to do well id say you need well over 250 houses to make living out of it.its just not a keen area for window cleaning in my eyes some lads do well but after them what is left?1 in 100 houses in a street that wants a windy whats the point even doing it lol.

like i said before on here ive had people close the door on me for a £5 clean 2 bed house?

all the best houses are gone to WFP guys that leaves you with people who arnt assed about clean windows.

i need to look into something else deffo its just not working.for me.

I have always said window cleaning part time is the best job in the world.

I did 3 years in a call centre £6.20 an hour. And they wanted a pound of flesh and i really do mean that. I ended up hating people at work, as i was like wtf are you being like this. But they were the rules of that place.

If you could get another job and keep window cleaning you be laughing.

A lot of my friends have gone to WFP up north as you can "splash and dash" Doing a 3 bed semi for like £6 ( i charge £10 - £15) With trad cleaning, unless you actually start missing windows you cant really cut that many corners. WFP you can cut a lot of corners. But thats why WFP has got a bad rep, so many plonkers REALLY cutting corners!

i dont need to cut corners, but i know i could earn double maybe even more if i did the whole splash and dash.

For a start ramp up your flow, you wont be able to keep up with the water flow its that quick cleaning!

Damo your spot on mate its kinda my idea to get something and run the windows along with it and a few grass cutting jobs chucked in we shall see ill keep pushing forward

feel abit better just for writing on here as sad as it is got a lot built up inside.

nice1 pal;)

If looking for part time work don't make a big deal of self employment when applying used to be dead 4 months of year when sparking couldn't get anything always told over qualified even for driving vans at asda some employers are scared of what to do about paying your tax and ni even though you would be treat the same as everyone else try nursing homes part time handyman you might get in with the gardening side and the rest is fixing what's already there and regular tests usually £1 -£2 over minimum the nursing homes don't mind the self employment as they usually don't have enough hours to offer but can become demanding on your time

Thats good to hear.

If you dont already, offer every service you can think off but is easy to do.

Gutter cleaning/clearing/

Internal window cleaning

Uvpc the lot.

Make sure you are using every tool possible to promote your business.

Even if its just magnetic signs on your car. (just guessing here)

etc

Chin up dude, it aint all bad. If things get really bad just email away /emoticons/smile.png

Damo makes some good points AK. Keep plugging away mate. It would be a shame to chuck in the windows now after all the hard work you have put into them. Get yourself a part time job if you can and keep building up the round. Concentrate on doing a quality job. Some people will notice and some will recommend because of it.It may feel like you have come to a dead end with your round, but, with time, it will build up. Other window cleaners in your area will jack in or retire or move on. You need to be there to mop up. I think we all feel a bit **** around this time of the year, particularly with the weather stopping us from working. . Also the gardening season isnt that far away. Press on AK.

here is my take on this business

it is full of bull shitters, and if you listen to them, then you jack this business in, i know wc who claim to have 6 vans on road, but are struggling to pay the rent

you get some "proffesional window cleaners" driving around in nice vans earning £300 a day sure there is, but when you look at them, they have been going years. and have the cream, all the **** they have dumped, which gets picked up my newbies, who then moan and hate the job i know a wc who has been saying for months, he employs, treats staff to holidays, now he is on about bankrupts, as cant work becasue of the weather

a lot of areas are full of wc as it is a cheap business to start and do, most work out of the back of there car, and sign on, i can go knocking in areas, and i know if i charge £6 i am over charing, as there are window cleaners doing it for £4/£5 for a lot of people, having clean windows isnt a priority and aint really bothered, as it rains that often here, they will get clean any way

if i was the bloke who started this thread, i would go sign on a agency and do windows on the side, ie spend my saturdays doing windows and working in week, any days i didnt have work i would go knocking, it can take 5 years to build a good round of decent jobs, but some times this job isnt worth it, eg, working in a warehoue for £6.50 might be better than workin for £12-20 ph with all the **** that this business brings, as some times, being able to walk away and forget about it till tomorrow is worth the lower wage

Thanks for all the comments and kind words fellas,will take on board what everyone has said and work at it and around it.

the snow begining to melt round here so can try source some work out ect.

thanks again boys much appreciated /emoticons/wink.png

Feel for ya mate, I won't try and offer advice just do what ya thinks best for yaself and family. I'm lucky I've still got night job while I build slowly but if I lost that, and I could easily I don't know what I'd do either.

I use to deliver takeaways when I was building my business up I use to earn £10-12 an hour just go to every takeaway in your town and ask them id they need a driver if they don't at the time they will take your number and call you when they do I did this one day when I was ****** of like you I didn't hear owt for a couple of weeks then I got a call for 2 nights a week 4 a hours a time it use to get me around £80 after diesel and a free Chinese 2 nights a week, within the next 2 month I had others ringing up for a 1 night a week etc in the end I turned work away and just worked 14-16 hours over 3 nights a week kept me going whilst times was hard, I still get the odd phone call know asking me to cover when someone rings in ill. another guy on facebook does mcdonalds and kfc deliverys he charges £3.50 a time and earns ok out of it he only delivers between 6pm - 10pm

How many people on here do a part time job and work for them selfs?
ive applied for 12 jobs now doing allsorts business is very bad at the min and im thinking of folding up or keeping hold of the good jobs i have and getting a job,im sick of the strees and laid in bed everynight wide awake thinking of how to make money and wondering were my next £ is coming from.

i do well 6 months out of the year then i have 6 months of nothing had a bad year last year due to the weather.

finding it hard to get any jobs and im coming in at low prices this is for both my garden business and the small amount of windows i have.

cant cope with the stress it brings i got mouths to feed and there is jack shat about.till march for me.

Anyne else been here or having these issues?
If I were you I`d look into tax credits to boost your income if its low, you may get 200 per month, depends what your yearly total is and averaged out over 12 months..... get your books together and fill in the form.........

tried that before mate but mrs earns £10 too much for us to qualify?am talking £10 over a G a month!!

the system stinks for small business's no help.

If I were you I`d look into tax credits to boost your income if its low, you may get 200 per month, depends what your yearly total is and averaged out over 12 months..... get your books together and fill in the form.........
I thought about doing this, don't you have to be in business for at least a year?

tax credits go on previous year, plus it depends on what your partner earns, as long as they have enough for the priority bills ie rent and council tax, every thing else is a luxury,

do you have kids, rent

WORKING TAX CREDIT: Apply for it. I did when starting out and got like £50 a week. You put down how much you're earning and how many hours you do a week and they average it out or something then make sure you're getting enough. How they calculate it I don't know but remember to include EVERYTHING related to business when you're doing that - not just time spent actually on the glass. Canvassing counts. Designing flyers counts. Doing accounts/books counts. Researching which pole to buy online counts. Going to tescos to buy ecover counts. Anything you wouldnt be doing were it not for the business, counts.

The worst they can do is not pay you, give it a go. It's not cheating/benefit fraud, I did mine totally honestly because I want my books to be clean, further down the line, and they still paid me.

Back