Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

private gritting idea any good?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

scotty_boy

evening all been thinking of way to make some cash as the winter sets in and had a idea that i wanted to run pass you all. i had thought of buying a tonne of rock salt and a industrial grade walk behind spreader and going door knocking to see if anyone would be interested. had thought about nursing homes, people with driveways, hotels and restaurant car parks etc. Only prob not quite sure if it will work out, and im unsure how often it would need to be done and how to know when to do it (i know when its supposed to freeze before any smartie pants!!).

so i thought i would turn to my fellow window cleaners for advice.

Cheers Scott

A few years ago when we had the really bad winter I bought a snow shovel and a few bags of salt and after it snowed offered some of my regular customers the service of clearing the snow and salting their drives. It was more out of need to earn some money but I didnt earn a lot and you need a good vehicle that will get you about in the snow

i was thinking it would get me through the worst of the winter asking about i live in sw scotland and stick winter tires on the van so think i would manage to get about.

But what happens if you clear and leave ice and someone fall over on it? The insurance would cost you a fortune i guess.

evening good point shazzy i have been researching this thoroughly and the H&S involved far out ways the potential profit.

how mad is this shop owners and residents are told not to attempt to clear paths/roads as " if someone slips and it has not been gritted it is a act of nature, if someone slips and someone has attempted to clear ice/snow they are liable for injury" !!!!!!!! WTF springs to mind. Looks like it not a quick pound like i thought.

talking of H & S i was grafting last week had my hose sprawled over footpath, old biddy was walking over it, she took her time all well. what would happen if she tripped eh.

your head would be on the block

talking of H & S i was grafting last week had my hose sprawled over footpath, old biddy was walking over it, she took her time all well. what would happen if she tripped eh.your head would be on the block
For starters, dont leave it sprawled all over paths, pull to one side and have a caution sign up.

Latest Posts

Back