Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

debt recovery for windys? Any experiance

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Guess who's back..........(well sod all on TV and wife on night shift)

Some time back we are on a job -- another woman comes running up practically begging us to add her on our rounds as she cant get a window cleaner. She is top floor of a two story flat. I give her a price and explain monthly service and so on,

First clean, got paid no problem.

Next month young Nick is on his own and gets 'oh can you leave it this month?' so he does. He tells me.....

Following month it is myself on the job and I explain exactly what 'monthly' service means. They seem to understand, so the windows get done, (they had already asked to pay later in the week and I had said ok)

I pop back early following week but no answer, oh well.

Next clean comes around and it just gets done as no one home, now they owe me two cleans..

I go back a couple of weeks later, husband answers, 'no money till friday mate' ..OK I Think, well 'your windows are due again on monday so can you settle it all up then?' I ask 'Sure no worries' he says.

Come the monday there is a note on the door.

'Do not clean the windows as we are moving in the next couple of weeks. If I wanted to just squirt water at them from a hose pipe I could do that myself ((referring to my very efficient WFP system)) come back saturday for your money.'

That is pretty much how the note read word for word.

Well these people are your typical council benefit scroungers so I know that even if I go back saturday there will be some bull sh1t excuse as to why my money is not there.

I get an old microfiber out of my bucket, get it all soapy and wet and then roll it in the soil in their yard then I throw it up at the windows -- simply restoring them to a condition of dirtiness that they were in before I had bothered to clean them.

Well I get a well ****** off message on my answer phone, 'how dare i' blah blah blah etc etc. I ignore it and carry on. Two weeks pass and I get a very polite message on my answer phone asking if she can pay over the phone. I am so done with her and had already written off the job that I ignore her again.

A few days pass and I am on the house next door and she approaches me with my money in her hand and pays me with apologies and all that good stuff and then asks if I could do her windows again.

Well I simply give her an incredulous look and said 'sorry luv, I dont cover your area' (ten feet away) and walked off leaving her looking confused. (not difficult really)

To date no one has cleaned the mud off her windows and she is still living there nearly four months down the road.

I used to get all huffy puffy about a non payer but now when apparent it is not going to happen I just dirty up the windows best I can and leave it at that. I figure even if they were arsey enough to call the law the most they could do is make you clean them but I doubt they would bother.

Way i see it if you sold them a product and they didn't pay you take it back

You sell them a service (clean windows) and they don't pay wou are within your rights to take it back

Hi @Green

Last edited by a moderator:
great to see you back green...we did mention in another post we were getting worried...

not really had much of a problem except for the online court case that brought me to this lovely forum...

that was for three hundred quid though..

yep I got it...

warning...houseproud of knutsford...beware..local windies.../emoticons/biggrin.png

since that I have gone a bit funny and dont trust anyone anymore so its payment up front if I dont know them..

usually I have a butchers at what is hanging around the property that could disappear if I didnt get paid...:whistle:

them traveling peoples../emoticons/biggrin.png

but yep I would defo put the dirt back and dont think there is anything they could do and would gladly let that go to court...

remember this...:rofl:

[media]

[/media]
dont think I could go that far but then again...

I do that Dave

Always look to see what could get the 5 finger discount if they don't pay up

Using debt collectors is probably a nonsense in our trade, but it doesn't mean that you cannot warn your debtors that you will do it anyway. You can also send them prefabricated letters threatening them with filing a small claim at a county court. And especially mentioning the consequences of their debts for customers' credit rating might sometimes help. Of course, mostly not, but I still bet that using such methods would be rather an effective use of paper, envelopes, printer and time in the long run.

luckily no none payers yet but if it happens then my two nephews,both little gits, I like them really,go round egg windows and place dog :turd: on the back of front door handle,keep front of handle clean as you don't want to spoil the surprise.

I favour putting the dirt back on. Even if the law got you they'd prob have to let you off as it's just returning them to their original state pre clean. 'Re stocking their shelf'

I favour putting the dirt back on. Even if the law got you they'd prob have to let you off as it's just returning them to their original state pre clean. 'Re stocking their shelf'
yeh soaped up the windows on his flat today, the lady below who is also a customer gave my brother a happy smile,

so even she must know the guy is a doosh bag.

I Feel much better now, eye for an eye tooth for a tooth the bible says.

Ok so been reading through these post and although I said, don't bother, not worth it, move on blah blah! As I was reading them I noticed I was grinning from ear to ear /emoticons/smile.png

As long as it doesn't get out of hand and no one gets hurt, soaping or mudding up windows helps to digest the frustration. Wish I'd done it to one or two myself now /emoticons/biggrin.png

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Still, every arsehole needs a good soaping once in a while /emoticons/wink.png

Ring up all the double glazing firms and make a week of evening appointments for him & fill all your junk mail out with his address saying you would like them to call! That will drive him nuts.

Back