Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Finally...!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Are you sure you are cut out for this type of work as you seem to be struggling with what I call the basics. I don't mind helping out but you do worry me. :rolleyes:

Once you get familiar with the kit you are using and its set it up properly it will make the job so much easier and safer to do but it still won't stop you falling/slipping off that ladder so just take your time and go careful.

I sound like a concerned granddad now /emoticons/biggrin.png

The hooks on the end of the springs on mine and my micro standoff are facing opposite ways

So one clips over the front of the rung and 1 over the back of the rung

Suppose so you can't accidentally knock both off at the same time

Good point @daveyboy1 I tend to hook mine over so the open end is facing the wall.

When just going gutters it doesn’t really matter though as your feet won't be anywhere near them unless you happen to be a gnome. /emoticons/biggrin.png

I wouldn't say I'm cut out for it 100%, more like 65%. Even 50% currently. It's a steep learning curve, defying gravity

I appreciate your concern, help, even scepticism, as it all helps.

IM defo not going to be a fast operative. But, I've cleared my rear drains and gutters and learnt and it took less than two hours despite three coffees

I've also ordered the vac so I'm more committed, but can try and use the vac for difficult bits and avoid tricky ladder placements where pos

Gain a bit of experince with both methods and you will do well. No rushing about though or you will turn into fred, frank or worst @cheapncheerful that spends more time fixing things he breaks.:rolleyes:

Tip: ladders and sat dishes the ladder always wins /emoticons/biggrin.png

If I had to go back to the old ways I use to clear gutters then I would pack it in for sure. You have some great kit at your disposal so can now make some dosh as you have proved that today. Get the wife to pay you in kind maybe? /emoticons/biggrin.png

I wouldn't say I'm cut out for it 100%, more like 65%. Even 50% currently. It's a steep learning curve, defying gravity
I appreciate your concern, help, even scepticism, as it all helps.

IM defo not going to be a fast operative. But, I've cleared my rear drains and gutters and learnt and it took less than two hours despite three coffees

I've also ordered the vac so I'm more committed, but can try and use the vac for difficult bits and avoid tricky ladder placements where pos
Be prepared to grow some muscles when you start using a gutter vac

75DEFE28-E95C-4243-828F-9EF541C4F6A0_zpsppmq05sf.gif

Gain a bit of experince with both methods and you will do well. No rushing about though or you will turn into fred, frank or worst @cheapncheerful that spends more time fixing things he breaks.:rolleyes:
Tip: ladders and sat dishes the ladder always wins /emoticons/biggrin.png
Don't worry, I'm highly risk averse. I'm happy the triple has become manageable but there's still a lot of prep before I'm ready for the public. The vac will take upto three weeks to make so plenty of old school ladder practice time. The vac would have been good for my blocked drain, even though I had pic gauntlets, the mud block is beyond my elbow

In that case before you go anywhere near the missus best to wash yer hands, arms and whatever else needs doing :rolleyes:

Don't worry, I'm highly risk averse. I'm happy the triple has become manageable but there's still a lot of prep before I'm ready for the public. The vac will take upto three weeks to make so plenty of old school ladder practice time. The vac would have been good for my blocked drain, even though I had pic gauntlets, the mud block is beyond my elbow

Very true @rshandyman as having the right tools for the job doesn't guarantee an income for sure.

Now @Jimroot you also have to think about marketing your services the most cost effective way. The hard part like in any small business is gaining enough work so to pay the bills and preferable keep debt free. This can only be down to the individual efforts put in gaining new work as it won't come to you.

Too right. I've got a plan of sorts, but it's harder to get stuck into like the practical side of things. Was waiting to do marketing till I'm actually competent and made sure everything works. But there has to be a blend/tipping point due to not having begun the process earlier.

It was only the impetus of loosing my job that made me think of alternatives. If I'd have thought of it a year go, it would have been so much easier, except for lack of funds for the bigger purchases.

the most challenging part is to find enough custys to keep you busy whole day and also keep you motivated to wake up and go to work when you don't have to.

The earlier you start with marketing the better.it will take time to gain work but no one will wait for you to pay the bills

I'm a bit lucky in that I can only do three days a week anyway, and I'm not the main family earner, so it's a bit less pressure. Still pressure, but not as much as replacing a full salary from scratch immediately.

Also, I think if I can get into the local gutter scene, it might be less stress too, as a few jobs a week will keep me surviving. although I plan on being flexible. To that end, I've ordered my TDS monitor too.

I hear you rs but apart from basic gutter and drain clearing, I haven't got the full amount of equipment yet. My trad gear hasnt even arrived.

Waking up is always hard but coffee helps

Back