Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leaded windows with WFP

WCF

Help Support WCF:

koopmaster

Hi I have 2 houses to clean next week that are have leaded windows, and are very old.

when I first did started there was a wfp guy who said they cant be cleaned.... with pure water

is this just **** talk or is he right... its a big house and I dont want to do it traditional (not that I cant) but time wise and the price I quoted was via a WFP..

I am not WFP however I know a window cleaner that I was talking to last month while he was cleaning a big house with leaded windows using a WFP. I think it depends if its lead over the glass or proper leaded windows with each individual piece of glass held together with lead. These are very rare, but if it is real leaded windows, as far as I know they may leak, which could cause some problems or they may flux inwards if you put to much pressure on them, especially if they are quite old. I have did a few like this trad, I would absolutely hate it if they where all like that, definitely really only suitable for WFP.

iv got 3 or 3 jobs thats full of lead

i wouldnt even go near it trad the last window clean foooked 1 of them right up

you need to go & tell the owner your trying them out to see if they leak, if they do i give them a brush over with the water off (but brush wet) then i spray em down from the side. i've only 1 house like that all the rest are fine, also you need a soft/medium bristle brush for the leaky ones

He could be right, some windows, leaded or otherwise just don't respond well to wfp, usually frame related. Just give it a go for a few months. Personally I find diamond lead gives less agro than square, might just be me. If it is the old stuff, you may leak through, I have one or two that do but it doesn't flood the house by any stretch, and however you clean them you have to be aware of too much pressure. May find going side to side easier than up and down

I'd warn him may leak if it's proper old fashioned lead. just took on new one, had turned him down twice over 4 years as didn't want anymore leaded when was traditional, took him on now wfp, it's a doddle.

just go gentle, you can actually put less pressure on the glass with brush compared to scrims.

enjoy (4

weird, but you can actually enjoy doing leaded with wfp!)

and yes gentle side to side is prob better, if does leak will just be a dribble.

Cool, the leaded house I did a few months ago I did traditional and it took me 2 hours, they where bulging out they where so old. I am doing those next saturday and a big leaded house Tuesday. Both square lead. I will tell them to keep a eye out for leaks but definitely give it a go.

I do a big house that's mostly all leaded, takes 2 of us an hour scrimming arms are wrecked after it. At the back a few windows the lead is hanging off and it's a bloody ***htmare doing it

Cool, the leaded house I did a few months ago I did traditional and it took me 2 hours, they where bulging out they where so old. I am doing those next saturday and a big leaded house Tuesday. Both square lead. I will tell them to keep a eye out for leaks but definitely give it a go.
If they are bulging like you have described then that is old proper leaded windows. If it was just lead on top of the glass, it wouldn't distort like that.

Back