Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

When to change filters and resin?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Adda85

Hi guys, I was wondering at what ppm reading would you change the filters or resin, my ppm was 001 but has gone to 004 in the last couple of days, also not sure if I need to change the filters first or the resin. My tap water ppm is around 300. I have a pure freedom setup. Thanks.View attachment 6704

Hi new at this wfp myself. I also have a pure freedom system. I changed Di resin soon as water got to 1 ppm. That was all it needed. You have reminded me I need to email pure freedom, as I carnt remember how long the carbon and sediment filters last.

I'd change my resin I f water starts to creep up from 1

If your water is coming down after ro it might just be. Di resin your needing changed to polish the water

Ok thanks for your help, will the water at 004ppm be OK to use in the meantime as I have a tank full, and quite a few jobs tomorrow, thanks.

Do you flush your RO every week? That helps to maintain the main filter
I flush mine about once a month, had the system about 9 years, changed the membranes twice. Also, I'm Thames water, one of the hardest water areas in the country. Still going strong

I also use a pure freedom 950gpd hf4 system been running since may and not changed anything as yet, my water reads about 98 to 110, backflush once a week ish

Flush ro every week, have a softener fitted as well, not sure how mutch it helps. Tap water is 300. Use 200-400l a day. Changed Di resin Friday as fill up Thursday came out at 1ppm. Means I got a full six weeks out of Di resin. I will only be able to work out the true cost per change once the bag is empty.

Water after ro is 35-40 with booster pump on it drops to 25-27.

Takes two an a half hours on a big fill up. I won't to keep my water at 0. If I quote on commercial work I would like to tell the client I'm that I'm that sure of my water they can test it themselves. Had tropical fish for years so a bit ocd about water quality as well.

Flush ro every week, have a softener fitted as well, not sure how mutch it helps. Tap water is 300. Use 200-400l a day. Changed Di resin Friday as fill up Thursday came out at 1ppm. Means I got a full six weeks out of Di resin. I will only be able to work out the true cost per change once the bag is empty.Water after ro is 35-40 with booster pump on it drops to 25-27.

Takes two an a half hours on a big fill up. I won't to keep my water at 0. If I quote on commercial work I would like to tell the client I'm that I'm that sure of my water they can test it themselves. Had tropical fish for years so a bit ocd about water quality as well.
"I'm new to this as well" means to me that your r/o is also new.

I would be talking to Pure Freedom about the quality of your pure water after r/o tbh.

Lets use your figures.

300 tds in 35 out = rejection rate of 88.4%

300 tds in 40 out = rejection rate of 86.7%

300 tds in 25 out = rejection rate of 91.67%

300 tds in 27 out = rejection rate of 91%

When I first started with wfp a supplier (Peter Fogwill) once told me that our membranes should be performing with a rejection rate of between 97 and 99%.

As the membranes age that rejection rate will deteriorate. He recommended that once the membranes reach 94% they are due for replacement.

The membrane in my 4040 is now 3 years old and is still producing water at a rejection rate of 98.7%. My water pressure is 50 psi and no booster pump.

The previous RoMan type r/o that was purchased from Peter had membranes in it for 6 years before it reached that critical 94%. Rather than replace membranes I upgraded to a 4040.

I'm hoping for better performance next week when I get a rusted Shut mains tap replaced. Honestly carnt flush if anyone in the shower or water vanishes. Baned use of shower when the vans connected. At the moment the booster pump still only pushes pressure to 55. I might worry more if I was on a meter but luckily for me I'm not.

ive changed the resin, and down to 0ppm for now! Just can't remember which way I need to turn the red tap to flush the membrane and which way is normal as I've lost my pure freedom Manuel and there seems to be no difference with each way I turn it, still new to this water purification stuff.

there is a difference which way you turn it mate, on mine you turn clockwise to flush, just ask purefreedom for new manual or photocopy,

A mate of mine was chatting to a guy doing some blocks of flats the other week using 25ppm ish water, who said yep its orate no issues. Thats a bit high for me but shows what you can get away with, I have not risked going above 6 ish, but think I will try to 10 this time round and see how it goes.

you will always get 0ppm when changing resin, but if that don't last long then you may have a issue with the R/O, also change pre filters every 3 months or so at 300pm tap

Back