Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tank Lid Leaking

Tuffers

It's the first time I've filled the tank right up since I've had it. Anyway, while driving around today I noticed water all over the shop. Thought it was from a brush to start with. I wiped over the lid and drove up the road. I pulled over and the lid was wet again. Are the lids on baffled tanks universal? I've emailed the company I bought it from and hopefully will hear from them tomorrow.

Anyone else have this problem?

yea, there is usually a rubber inside the lid, make sure that it hasnt gone missing, also the bit in the middle that lets the air out, make sure its not loose

There is a rubber ring on the lip of the tank and I've tightened it as much as poss. Can't see how the middle bit of the actual lid adjusts/tightens, it's like attached but doesn't seem water tight if you get my drift.

Mine leaked badly, when full. It's a 400ltr flat tank. I contacted the company who supplied and they told me to shake the lid to see if it rattled. It didn't. If it had the fins inside were broken thus allowing water out, and they would have sent a new lid.

The rubbers were fine, so i ended up using a tube of aquarium sealant and sealing it in place and sealed over the slots in the top all but a cm. Water still gets out but it's bearable now.

Good call. How did you seal it rc?
Used silicone to seal it, once it's done you will struggle to open the lid again. You will need to put a air vent in if it doesn't already have one in.

Used silicone to seal it, once it's done you will struggle to open the lid again. You will need to put a air vent in if it doesn't already have one in.
I think the air vent in the lid is my problem tbf. Maybe I've filled it too much? The water is about 2 inches from the top. This shouldn't be causing the problem though should it?

Buy a bag for life (thicker bag)

Unscrew lid. Place lid in bag. Do lid up. Not too tight otherwise you will tear bag. Trim bag. Done.

NOOB lol

Mine is a flat tank and I’m sure it comes out of the air vents, I was thinking of buying a lid with no vents for travelling, then swapping it over when I begin to work, I’m going to try the plastic bag solution for now. 

Just put a towel over the lid when travelling, soaks up any drops that come out through the vents, then use the damp towel for cleaning the hose when reeling it in. Works for me when my tank is full. 

Back