Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Learning to Window clean

WCF

Help Support WCF:

B

BricieFaePilton

Hi first post. I have been thinking about this for a few months now, what is the best road to learn how to 'traditionally' clean windows commercially? I'm 24 and fancy starting to do this as a job, working outdoors etc - obviously joining a company and doing everything above board.. Licences?

I'd prefer to learn first as a lot of companies will most probably be reluctant in taking on and training an 'old boy' like myself being nearly 25!

Thanks

Brycie

Hi first post. I have been thinking about this for a few months now, what is the best road to learn how to 'traditionally' clean windows commercially? I'm 24 and fancy starting to do this as a job, working outdoors etc - obviously joining a company and doing everything above board.. Licences?
I'd prefer to learn first as a lot of companies will most probably be reluctant in taking on and training an 'old boy' like myself being nearly 25!

Thanks

Brycie
See if you can find a good (well known) windy who might be willing to show you the ropes.

Why join a company?

Much better off on your own and not putting the majority of money earnt in someone else's pocket

I can usually get someone trained in a few weeks. It's not that big a deal, to be honest I prefer it as I can train them to work exactly the way I want without any preconceptions. If you want to just apply for a job, then I would say apply. If you want to work for yourself, then you can get a wealth of help on here to point you in the right direction.

Don't do what I done,and learn straight pull downs first! Too much time spent detailing lines too.

Had no one to show me bar vids but learning the proper techniques from the start will save time later I think. Boarcity on here (where is he??) kindly sent me YouTube vids to follow, and you'll learn from such vids small details that work better for you than others or details that suit you less.

I'd say watch three different guys on YouTube all of whom seem like they have slightly different starting points on glass or different techniques (and see what suits you)

Good luck!

Buy the gear n practice...simple...do a few shop windows..a big squegee a lot different than a small one...practice...that how i started...never look back n dont move from your quote

Can you Live with the fact that you will then be known just as The Window Cleaner.

You will have to live with the stigma as just being a window cleaner.[crazy][delusional]:welcome:

If you can live with people using this when they see or describe you Then go for it. You will have a job 4 life if you get enough customers,

If you srart traditional your equipment will be cheap, Ladders, bucket, scrims, rubbers incase you get some Fiesty females after your boddy. and applicator, and of course your Aldi Washing up liquid. They all do the same job. make soapy bubbles.

All under £100. search gumtree etc for your ladders, unless your wadded.

Learn gradually, keep cleaning your own windows , you will have the cleanest windows in the street.

Get Canvassing. You will have to come face to face with the Public. you will get a YES or NO. you just carry on untill you will hear the words , We used to have a window cleaner around here but he hasnt been for a long time, {probabbly had a hernia op}:iagree:

You then move in and get as many as you can. Bingo. Do this every night till you have enough customers for yourself,.. But keep practising. Get a couple of blades for different size windows.

You will pick it up

As mentioned, watch a lot of videos, practice even more. AND if you could get to ride along as trainee at someone who's not afraid to teach you ,it would be great exp. I would take it as a personal investment,unpaid a few days or a week maybe.

Back