Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Customers with no respect for your health/safety

WCF

Help Support WCF:

TolishAPurd

This is a bit of a follow of from the **** day I had yesterday as it got me thinking. Customers trying trying to get you to do stuff that'll put you in danger. It's usually women. Yesterday I had a woman trying to get me to lean my ladder on a gutter, and squeeze myself and my tools between a wall and a canopy. When I told her I wasn't going to risk breaking the gutter, or worse risk my life blindly stepping down off the roof on to the ladder, her response was "well my husband did it". Pisses me right off. Taking a chance once in a while on your own house is wildly different to taking a risk for a few quid day in day out. Chances are your luck will run out.

Pressure washing job today... woman wanted me to pick up and move a huge cast iron plant pot filled with wet soil. I told her I value my back more than the job, and her response was "well I used to move it myself" ... I felt like screaming 'bollockz!'. Needless to say, I cleaned around it.

It's as is these arseholes think they can shame you into doing stuff that clearly runs the risk of injuring you. I reckon they think that they are immune from legal action because they don't employ you. Happens all the time.

Just having a rant. Anyone else get the same?

I say 2 mins ill get a form from the car, youll need to sign saying that if i injure myself your liable for loss of income of 150 a day, in its entirety until i recover, and i am not liable for any damage caused + if i die youll pay my family £1m, they soon shut up

years ago an old guy wanted me to go up my ladder and knock down a wasps nest so it fell right into a bag hed left open on the ground

yeh rite!

Still get it quite a bit and I'm mainly commercial where you would think safety would be more of a concern.

The most recent one was 2 weeks ago looked at a hotel which is a mix of old style grade 2 and new extension some of the window could only be accessed by climbing out windows and standing on a small flat roof then polling.

I asked if there where any harness points his reply "don't worry about it what I don't see dosen't matter"

Another was block of flats the bloke I meet said the previous company where wasting money on cherry pickers to which I pointed out if you where to pole it you would need to stand in the road and on the forecourt of a very busy petrol station"that's OK as long as it's cheaper"he said No thanks mate.

I say 2 mins ill get a form from the car, youll need to sign saying that if i injure myself your liable for loss of income of 150 a day, in its entirety until i recover, and i am not liable for any damage caused + if i die youll pay my family £1m, they soon shut up
These customers don't realise that you can legally sue them if you fall anyway as they have a duty to know how you are doing the work and agree to liability as soon as they agree to having the work done

Maybe point that out to them

Still get it quite a bit and I'm mainly commercial where you would think safety would be more of a concern.The most recent one was 2 weeks ago looked at a hotel which is a mix of old style grade 2 and new extension some of the window could only be accessed by climbing out windows and standing on a small flat roof then polling.

I asked if there where any harness points his reply "don't worry about it what I don't see dosen't matter"

Another was block of flats the bloke I meet said the previous company where wasting money on cherry pickers to which I pointed out if you where to pole it you would need to stand in the road and on the forecourt of a very busy petrol station"that's OK as long as it's cheaper"he said No thanks mate.
I bet that's the 24hr petrol station in the old town

These customers don't realise that you can legally sue them if you fall anyway as they have a duty to know how you are doing the work and agree to liability as soon as they agree to having the work doneMaybe point that out to them
Thats what im doing, just having fun with them at the same time

These customers don't realise that you can legally sue them if you fall anyway as they have a duty to know how you are doing the work and agree to liability as soon as they agree to having the work doneMaybe point that out to them

I bet that's the 24hr petrol station in the old town
That's it someone from Essex is doing it now.

I thought it was there as i often fill up there and think what a ballache that would be over the wooden sidings and standing in the forecourt

Back