Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Techy Help

Tuffers

I have a program and it asks you if you want to back it up to a memory stick after use. I insert the stick and click save. I'm buggered if I can find it on the stick. I get the options to open stuff on it and all that comes up on the back up is a load of symbols in Turkish or sumat. I thought it would open as I see it on the screen when working on it.

HELP!

Basically, I've backed up work onto a memory stick and I want to view what I've done off it if my laptop ever packs up. But all I can see when I open the back up is a load of funny looking symbols.

Sadly guys I know about this....... Tuffers if you want a quick chat about this we can talk through what your backing up and how you plan to restore it. Warning! If you want to keep 2 mins of your life stop reading this now. Everyone else you have been warned.

RiceRocket is correct here, with some caveats. What Tuffers is seeing happens when a file is opened by an application that didn't create it. i.e If you open a Word file in Notepad it will look like this -> "fìJý’EÏ,å>" It happens because the program you used to create the file doesn't understand the format or language of how the original file stored it. To confuse things a little further some programs have a backup function that creates a file with added bits (techie term) so the backup file only makes sense when restored (as opposed to just opened) by the original program (The one I'm thinking about is Sage Accounts). Tuffers have a look in the application and see if there is a restore function.

The bit I think RiceRocket is missing is if Tuffers is moving the USB stick to the Laptop from the machine he made the backup, the Right Click, Open may not work as the laptop might not have the original program installed. Tuffers does the laptop have the program installed? If not can you install it and try again ?

So Tuffers, you're not that far way from proving your backup works (exactly what you should be doing) just need to join a couple of bits together.

I never thought I would be writing this bull on a Window Cleaning Forum !!! Hope this helps.

Tuffers is back in the land of the living folks. What Paul is saying makes sense. The software was downloaded to my laptop, but when I stick the memory stick in it asks how I want to open it, ie Word and other programs. I chose Word as that sounded the best bet. But it just shows all gobblygooch on the screen. I want to see my data if ever my laptop goes tits up. How do I do it Paul?

What is the programe called you are on about that gives you the option to backup to memory stick @Tuffers

Would help if you told me what it was called for a start so maybe I could help

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back