Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pump problem

WCF

Help Support WCF:

N

nico roche

Set up my first system yesterday accidentally broke off first filter on pump but was told didn't really need it so plugged tank straight into pump worked fine yesterday but this morning went to turn it on and pump wouldn't suck water from tank was like there was no suction even when running on full. The pump is quite high from the tank and hose is quite long so hoping it just needs lowering. What people think?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

If it's your delivery pump for supplying water to your pole then it needs to be below the level of your main tank for best results. Personally I'd mount it as low as possible, otherwise it's having to pull the water up and pump it to your pole.

cc4b67daea60834a282eeab95fa38d8d.jpg
this is the problem tank to pump

Yep, that pump needs to be where your battery is and I'd be inclined to connect the hose to the pump using Jubilee clips rather than Hozeloc connectors to prevent leakage either of water getting out, but especially of air getting in.

We have had a pump above the water tank for years without issue.

Your pump is sucking air. As @Marko067 says, first thing to do is get rid of those Hozelock connectors and get a proper fitting that is designed to work with Shurflo pumps. Second is to buy a replacement filter.

234-2926

and/or

234-3926

and this

255-215

Shurflo pumps will suck water up to 12' from the water level. In fact the pump on my son's current Berlingo van is higher than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the filter on pump needed then? Or should I just jubilee clip the tank hose to the pump? Run the pump with out anything connected yesterday n there didn't seem much pull? Might be knackered? Was working fine all day Thursday with connecters turned on Friday nothing! Tank is only 1/3 full don't think that will matter will it tho

We have had a pump above the water tank for years without issue.
Your pump is sucking air. As @Marko067 says, first thing to do is get rid of those Hozelock connectors and get a proper fitting that is designed to work with Shurflo pumps. Second is to buy a replacement filter.

234-2926

and/or

234-3926

and this

255-215

Shurflo pumps will suck water up to 12' from the water level. In fact the pump on my son's current Berlingo van is higher than that.

Cheers for heads up pump started pulling now with jubilee clips comes out second resin bottle now but won't go through reel to brush[emoji848]

Please describe what the controller is doing - ie, what letter is coming up on the screen? Also what is the LED light doing?

If you remove the di vessels from the loop, can you get water to the brush head?

I stand corrected nico, re the pump being below the water level in the main tank (thanks spruce).

Mine is below (being in a trolley), but I can see an advantage to having it above in a van mounted system, provided your pump is not worn out of course and can't produce enough vacuum on the intake side. I suffered with a bubble of air settling in the top of the hose where it arches over the top of the tank when I allowed it to run dry and my pump was unable to create enough suck to completely clear it. However, with the pump raised above the tank and a straight run in your hose from the tank to the pump you would virtually eliminate that from happening as long as no air can get in of course.

Great place for learning, this forum.

Please describe what the controller is doing - ie, what letter is coming up on the screen? Also what is the LED light doing?
If you remove the di vessels from the loop, can you get water to the brush head?
The controller is fine... when I run it now all connected you can hear pressure building until pump is almost shaking, take hose reel off and it flows perfect. Not had anything out brush think/hope something just needs tweaking can't think what tho

The controller is fine... when I run it now all connected you can hear pressure building until pump is almost shaking, take hose reel off and it flows perfect. Not had anything out brush think/hope something just needs tweaking can't think what tho

It must be something from the hose reel to the brush. Unreel all the hose off of your hose reel and try and see what happens then. We try to layer the hose nicely when reeling the hose in. If I have to do that I just run it down the street where we live.

What about the connection to the pole hose?

Are you using waterstop connectors (the type that shut the flow off when you disconnect them) on your hose anywhere nico? I had a Claber one fail on my gear just the other week. First time ever. The little plastic bits that are supposed to push the valve back when you push the connectors together had all broken off which rendered the valve useless. Had me puzzled for a bit, because like you everything worked as it should until I plugged the hose in, and then it all packed up.

It must be something from the hose reel to the brush. Unreel all the hose off of your hose reel and try and see what happens then. We try to layer the hose nicely when reeling the hose in. If I have to do that I just run it down the street where we live.
What about the connection to the pole hose?
Ive not had brush connected yet just took the valve that stops flow off end of reel n run it but nothing. When I disconnect from di water goes everywhere so quite bit of pressure behind must be an air lock will run hose up street wen weather calms down. Thanks fr the advise. Hard work setting up for first time small things give big head aches [emoji23]

Are you using waterstop connectors (the type that shut the flow off when you disconnect them) on your hose anywhere nico? I had a Claber one fail on my gear just the other week. First time ever. The little plastic bits that are supposed to push the valve back when you push the connectors together had all broken off which rendered the valve useless. Had me puzzled for a bit, because like you everything worked as it should until I plugged the hose in, and then it all packed up.
Yes got one on end of reel and one after controller took one on end of reel of tho and it runs past the one near controller fine must be an air lock. Either that or these **** connections I got from pound shop need changing [emoji1303]

If it flows smoothly through the pump when you disconnect your output hose from it, then it's unlikely to be an airlock as they usually only cause a problem between the tank and the pump or in the pump.

Replacing your connectors with good quality ones is a good idea. It's never a good idea to go cheap when your livelihood depends on it. I've found that the cheap ones are often made with a low quality plastics that often crack or break.

All sorted now changed all connections to jubilee and didn't know reel doesn't work with out pole plugged in and there was knot in pole reel. Time to give it a test tomoz. Pole is abit heavy so hoping its not to much hard work

Glad you've sorted your problem out.

The pole won't feel as heavy when the brush is on the glass, but grab the lightest pole you can afford asap. Makes the world of difference to your day. Full carbon preferably, but failing that a good hybrid pole. They are not as expensive as they used to be and a good one will last you. My first one came as part of a kit and was a shocker. Only used it for two weeks and bought a much lighter one.

Back