Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cost And Ways To Set Up For Wfp

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mr B shine

i ma sure this will have been covered before, but how much does it cost t set up for wfp and do you build your own system or just buy one and what makes and systems brushes ect do you recomend.

cheers

You can't just jump into WFP it's needs working out.

Where will you store water.

How will you transport water.

What is your TDS.

How many litres will you need.

I'd spend 20 mins searching on these forums and you find plenty of answers.

FYI.

RO -DI - 25L containers - backpack - clx

i ma sure this will have been covered before, but how much does it cost t set up for wfp and do you build your own system or just buy one and what makes and systems brushes ect do you recomend.

cheers
If you can set up the water purification separate form the van cleaning system. Setting up the water purification is the only DIY you need to do, even that isn’t really DIY by any stretch of the imagination, as you just connect together and turn the tap on.

Beside the secondary components, you basically need filters & water tank for the purification, and for the cleaning system in the van - another tank, pump, hose reel, 1 pole and a couple of brushes.(the rest is mostly Bling)

You do need a basic plan, without a plan you’re guaranteed to lose money every month, for years, possibly. I know 2 window cleaners local to me both work full time and both are wfp with similar set ups, one of them earns £25k more than the other – technically one of them is losing £25k per year and doesn’t even know about it.

Richard

I live in a soft water area my tds at the kitchen tap is only about 50. So I started with,

CLX pole and a vikan brush

WCW back pack

11ltr DI

6 25ltr containers.

I ran the water into the containers via the DI, and just topped up the back pack. I start with tops only and trad the bottoms to save water but I soon changed to wfp the lot.

I now have a van with DIY set up. It's not difficult to put together as someone said above. I think it cost about £600 for a 400ltr tank, pump, battery, filter, reel and hose.

I now run tap water into the tank and purify as I pump it out.

Hope this helps a bit.

If you can set up the water purification separate form the van cleaning system. Setting up the water purification is the only DIY you need to do, even that isn’t really DIY by any stretch of the imagination, as you just connect together and turn the tap on.

Beside the secondary components, you basically need filters & water tank for the purification, and for the cleaning system in the van - another tank, pump, hose reel, 1 pole and a couple of brushes.(the rest is mostly Bling)

You do need a basic plan, without a plan you’re guaranteed to lose money every month, for years, possibly. I know 2 window cleaners local to me both work full time and both are wfp with similar set ups, one of them earns £25k more than the other – technically one of them is losing £25k per year and doesn’t even know about it.

Richard

what do you mean by plan? buissness plan, getting work plan, pricing ? I have one regarding how I am going about building a new round with trad style cleaning just now and where I want to be in three months and then beyond

cheers

probably a silly question but if you are in a hard water area then collecting rain water would be easier to lower the tds on i take it?

I know 2 window cleaners local to me both work full time and both are wfp with similar set ups, one of them earns £25k more than the other – technically one of them is losing £25k per year and doesn’t even know about it.
Does he have a joint bank account with a high maintenance wife? lol

Damo is right. Straight away you've question marked a reply when he's mentioned tds. When I wanted to get into it with just a backpack & pole I asked a lot of questions as I never had a clue. I learnt to make my own water & made my own pole out of a Harris pole. I watched you tube vids on technics of cleaning & also takes a lot of practice to get right. A lot of people out there think you brush water on & rinse off & bobs yer uncle. I thought this to & got a nasty jolt when I tried it. Them people give it a bad name. You like me don't wanna be like them. Ask questions, practice, watch you tube & your be ok. I'm glad I did.

By the way I am 100% trad but use wfp for windows over commie etc. I advise learning trad to.

probably a silly question but if you are in a hard water area then collecting rain water would be easier to lower the tds on i take it?
Yes, rain water has a very low reading. I measured it at just 8 recently from my water butt.

Yes, rain water has a very low reading. I measured it at just 8 recently from my water butt.
I tested my rainwater recently and first container which water runs into was 14 but I could see sediment had been disturbed by rain but second one that it overflows into was 4ppm. You wouldn't even really need to polish that but I do anyway.

Richard

what do you mean by plan? buissness plan, getting work plan, pricing ? I have one regarding how I am going about building a new round with trad style cleaning just now and where I want to be in three months and then beyond

cheers
There all part of the same plan, you should know what equipment you need, type of customers & how many, pricing should be straightforward, so you can concentrate on winning the business getting you to your target turnover, and set a time frame to do it all in.

Most people don’t plan anything; it cost very little to plan, but some window cleaners would rather spend £3.5K on a heated wfp system or a 70ft pole under the illusion it automatically makes you more money. Spending money & getting a new piece of equipment is nice, it is also an easier thing to do than sit down and learn how to plan your business.

Wfp is great tool - who uses a van mount system with long reach poles to compete with trad cleaners charging £5?

Get a map mark all the areas, you ‘Don’t want work in’ highlight potential areas & customer types that suits your set up. Why compete for work with low charging window cleaners and there customers.

If you’re a 1 man business, you only need a handful of customers each day you work, and its repeat business. You will often hear “window cleaning is simple”; it really is as simple as that, if you spend some time planning - weeks, months whatever it takes. You can achieve you target all in 6 months of starting your plan. Because all your immediate question have been answered, by you. The following 12 months you will turnover your entire targeted figure.

Richard

There all part of the same plan, you should know what equipment you need, type of customers & how many, pricing should be straightforward, so you can concentrate on winning the business getting you to your target turnover, and set a time frame to do it all in.

Most people don’t plan anything; it cost very little to plan, but some window cleaners would rather spend £3.5K on a heated wfp system or a 70ft pole under the illusion it automatically makes you more money. Spending money & getting a new piece of equipment is nice, it is also an easier thing to do than sit down and learn how to plan your business.

Wfp is great tool - who uses a van mount system with long reach poles to compete with trad cleaners charging £5?

Get a map mark all the areas, you ‘Don’t want work in’ highlight potential areas & customer types that suits your set up. Why compete for work with low charging window cleaners and there customers.

If you’re a 1 man business, you only need a handful of customers each day you work, and its repeat business. You will often hear “window cleaning is simple”; it really is as simple as that, if you spend some time planning - weeks, months whatever it takes. You can achieve you target all in 6 months of starting your plan. Because all your immediate question have been answered, by you. The following 12 months you will turnover your entire targeted figure.

Richard
good advice, i see to many people running around in new vans, 35 ft extreme poles, ionic hot systems, making no money then selling up after a year, i was tlaking to a other wc the other day who said he cant get any new work, but wouldnt go knocking, was hoping all the work would come to him

Damo is right. Straight away you've question marked a reply when he's mentioned tds. When I wanted to get into it with just a backpack & pole I asked a lot of questions as I never had a clue. I learnt to make my own water & made my own pole out of a Harris pole. I watched you tube vids on technics of cleaning & also takes a lot of practice to get right. A lot of people out there think you brush water on & rinse off & bobs yer uncle. I thought this to & got a nasty jolt when I tried it. Them people give it a bad name. You like me don't wanna be like them. Ask questions, practice, watch you tube & your be ok. I'm glad I did.

By the way I am 100% trad but use wfp for windows over commie etc. I advise learning trad to.
This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for, i have been cleaning trad style for some time now and my customers are happy enough that I am getting work from there friends who are dropping there cleaner as they are not doing the sills or edges properly ect.

The reason for looking at the wfp is because of the window style on these new estates that are popping up all over and also for getting commercial work. i know I can't compeat on price well enough against a good wfp operator.

Richard.

I am amazed people start without some sort of idea.

I had been mulling it over for a couple of months and it started a little like this.

Find customers in as tight an area as possably by actively going out and knocking doors and sectioning the area I cover to keep travel down as much as possable as fuel and transport costs are probbably a trad cleaners biggest outlay

I know what customers i want and what i don't want, anyone who does not **** me about irespective of where they are in the area or the type of house they have.

a target of how many I want in two months, then reevaluate target.

As i an a trad cleaner and have all the gear already then set up costs are minimal, I have flyers to hand out and I can price the jobs.

But i now realsise that being able to do what posh can in regards to a small wfp system would give me more scope on the jobs I can take on and to be more compedative.

I think that should cover it

Posh,

are you still using a back pack system, if so what are you using?

water storage is easy, I have a garage and a pointless front garden due to the house design that i could easily set up a load of collection barrels for rain water out the down pipe from (The gutters would get a good clean first)

I’m sure everyone had an idea Mr B Shine; ideas are ten to a penny, basically ideas alone are worth nothing.

A plan is very different; something that has had a lot of thought and the preparation of writing words & numbers down over a length of time and a little bit of money invested can be very valuable when it is finally put to into practice. The final execution of the plan all the work and rewards are so much more than having just an ‘idea’ then setting up as a window cleaner.

Richard

Posh,

are you still using a back pack system, if so what are you using?

water storage is easy, I have a garage and a pointless front garden due to the house design that i could easily set up a load of collection barrels for rain water out the down pipe from (The gutters would get a good clean first)
Yes mate still use it. I only use about 200 litres every 2-3 months. I keep it in 8 25 litre containers. I started with a Harris pole that I made up to a wfp pole. Bought a cheap buyers an brush for £12 quid & a wcw backpack. Was perfect for me & enabled me to clean over Connies & awkward windows. Up to Friday was still using it & never had a complaint but was bought a big boy backpack & a Phoenix pole so have upgraded a bit. I may now offload one of my backpacks & Harris pole. I have 3 backpacks.

Back