Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gocardless min 20p

JoelLancaster

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the 20p minimum on gocardless transactions? My brother signed up a while ago and he only pays 1% but when I have looked on their website it now says there is a 20p minimum per transaction. Has it changed recently or is there a way round it?

Thanks. My brother says the same. Just on their website the basic membership says it charges 20p. Wonder if it's a new thing or if I'm looking on the wrong part of the website or something.

Their is 2 options one you pay for 1% on each transaction or the other you pay a few hundred quid a year I think it is and also pay for each transaction which could be the 20p charge

There appear to be 3 options now. Standard, plus or pro. Plus and pro you pay monthly for. Basic you pay 1% but even for that it says 20p min. Will give them a ring today I think.

For anyone interested I just spoke to gocardless. The 20p minimum is a new thing and there is no way around it. It was brought in at the start of the month. Existing customers won't be affected at the moment. Pretty poor business to have existing and new customers on such a big difference in terms if you ask me but there you go! Anyone know of any other alternatives? Or is the reason they can increase their prices because there aren't any good alternatives?

Might not be a problem for some people but a lot of my houses are £6 or £7. So you are looking at 3 times the price to use gocardless for me compared to my brother who signed up a few months ago. Not sure my customers would appreciate me trebling the price of their houses. Suppose I would if I could get away with it though!

Yes i can see your point but you wont be turning around to your customers and increasing their prices to £18 , If you had to spend 6-8 hours a week doing cash collections using up fuel and the cost of wear and tear on your vehicle that £6.00 window clean would soon become £4 or less .

The GC 1% charge has been in place for over 3 years and this increase was really inevitable although i didn't expect it to jump to 20p but in comparison if you used PayPal you would be paying close to 50p and waiting on customers to remember to pay you , Were as you get paid within 5 working days with GC

After working 8-10 hours a day on the glass the last thing I want to do anymore is spend a minimum of 6 hours a week chasing money and loosing thousands a year in comparison .

I recently signed up and to be honest at first I thought oh I'm going to lose at least 20p on every customer. But then I did the maths and IF I put every customer on GC it would cost roughly £30-£40 a month in fees, which to be honest I wouldn't mind if it meant getting my wage on time every week without any hassle. As it happens about 60% of my customers pay bacs anyway so the only customers I'm converting to GC are cheque senders (I hate waiting for it to come and then clear) and delaying payers. So won't cost me that much even with 20p minimum to cut out quite a bit of hassle! It's worth doing the maths.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

That's dissapointing news.

20p is a bit steep.

Still better than paypal and collecting but I think I'll stick with bacs unless they become bad payers

Once they become bad payers it can be to late , People don't always intentionally become bad payers just their lives get busier and busier they end up working more hours the kids go evening classes and before you know it they have forgot all about paying the windy.

Some lads won't pay 20p GC fees just as some won't stretch to paying for Cleaner Planner but both together over the last 3 years have made the running of my biz so much easier and have taken away a lot of stress .

I like go cardless a lot but can see where it's going, fees will keep going uo. Like anything else supply and demand the.more popular it becomes the more they will start to charge.

Just a shame because they offered a great service at a great price that's what made them unique. If they start getting greedy they will end up just like paypal.

Back