Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New roof leaks

WCF

Help Support WCF:

SPCleaning

Anyone know anything about roofing?

Our new extension roof is leaking. It's a lean to, tiled roof, with lead flashing.

I suspect the builder has failed to fit the flashing properly and has not cut it deep enough into the wall. He is a total muppet who will cut any corner he can. I really regret using him, but he came highly recommended by a client.

I am very unhappy about this and would happily swear, but will not lower the tone on this forum.

I have truly had a gut full of late. If it can go wrong, it certainly will.

Doesn't really need to go very deep into the wall, and normally sealed up? Is there breathable membrane under the tiles? Got any pictures? Water can do amazing stuff to find a path...

14666195_10157537679125247_4323796723095210602_n.jpg

14695370_10157537676535247_2032480309492003409_n.jpg

14718655_10157537675615247_2647656460503357475_n.jpg

I measured carefully and the internal leak falls below the over lap in the second picture. I have been up with a hosepipe trying to work out how it gets in but as yet I'm not sure.

Yes there is breathable membrane in place.

May be worth getting another bricky in to get an expert opinion then if he says its not up to spec then you can persue things through the courts, and get a partial refund and costs to fix the problem

Is it slot of water ? Might of ripped the felt underneath or not a big enough overlap

Also the lead flashing is meZnt to be heated enough to mouldy it to the grove of the tile looks like there is a few bits were u can get in it.

Lead is meant to be 25mm minimum into the brickwork and at least 3/4 of the length of the tile.

And by the look of it in the second picture he hasn't sealed the overlap of lead, so any rain with fierce wind will drive water straight under.

ide get him back and contact trading standerds asap he should fix it for free m8 if he fails to fix it u can take him to the cleaners sory to here about this the bilding game can be a rush and rulet wether u get a good guy or not

How much lap is there where the two lengths of lead join?

If there isn't sufficient lap and it isn't sealed along the join then that's most likely the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say the overlap doesn't look sealed

Doesn’t take much for the water to find it's way under

He will be legally obliged to come and rectify the problem as he obviously hasn't done his job properly

If he refuses i would definitely take it further as he has been paid to do a specific job which is obviously not up to standard

It may just be my eyesight on my small phone screen but is the lead in the brickwork or just stuck on and sealed? As it don't look right to me

Pity you aren't local mate as i grew up roofing with my mums other half and would happily have a look for you

Back