Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help ! Frozen ! Pump Wont Work

J

js window cleaning

Hi I went to my van about an hour ago and my tank is half full and loads of ice is inside , so I tried to turn my variflo on and not even a sound is being made from the pump and absolutely nothing happens ?!?! Is it just a case of letting things warm up or ?

Thanks js window cleaning..

Need to warm the van up, ideally an oil fired radiator inside.

If the pump has frozen 9 times out of 10 it will be dead. The seals spilt.

Not good /emoticons/sad.png

Have my fingers crossed for you that it might still work when unfrozen /emoticons/wink.png

Best if you don’t have a heater is to bring it indoors to defrost. That goes for any other wfp kit apart from the tank that you have in the van too.

Need to warm the van up, ideally an oil fired radiator inside.
If the pump has frozen 9 times out of 10 it will be dead. The seals spilt.
hi guys - what happens if the pump has no water inside - as I disconnect it from the system after the work is completed every day . I take the in-flow hose outside the van - and from the pump drips about half of glass of water - Does that mean the pumper is empty and there is no chances it can be damaged by frost ?

The problem is water turning to ice, thats what does the damage. Plus seals and parts freeze up and become brittle.

Look after your pumps /emoticons/smile.png

There are a lot who switch the tap off at the tank and drain the pump down by running it and removing the prefilter bowl. Doing this sucks in air and clears the pump of water. Any remaining water droplets will freeze in the pump but do no damage. Usually the warm air from the vans heater is enough the warm the pump up. A hairdryer will sort the pipes out.

A friend of mine has done this for the last 9 winters and is still on his first pump.

if a pump has no water in, it wont do any damage, if it has water, the water turns to ice and expands, and this is what breaks things

If your system is frozen , never switch on the pump, that really will knacker it, wait till its defrosted or heat up slowly, oil filled rad is a good idea.

Back