Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Isopropanol advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi. is half a litre ok for a 350 tank mate?
Half a litre'd be way to much @paul1.
To note, i tried a splash/ trickle as a bench mark - No More!. It seriously foams up. Yes, it dilutes in pure water, wont affect TDS level either and you stay working. Do Not add Any More until you pretty much re fill your tank then let it rinse through ?.

I wouldn't if I were you, I'm told it can ruin your pump?
A Small amount
I use it every winter. A decilitre in my 350l tank whenever I fill up. It helps a little, but it needs constant circulation if the temperature drops too much. Never experienced any trouble with the pump. Most are afaik made for pumping all sorts of chemicals thus a splash of alcohol in an entire tank will be so diluted it can't possible make a difference..
I use a splash/ trickle which dilutes, as you mention. Just to be sure, re fill tank once nearly emptied then let pure water flush through entirely, whilst working.

What you recommend in 350 then ? cheers
Try a splash/ few trickles mate. Dont put a Litre in, your tank'll be foaming up for weeks with each re fill / top up of pure water mate. Excercise caution and discretion. A small plastic lid full at very most!.

You can’t add too much iso to your water as it is alcohol and evaporates
Doesn’t matter how much it bubbles it will leave windows spotless
When very cold I’ve been know to shove a litre in a 400l tank
The only side effect is spotless frames

If you want protection from freezing conditions down to -4 C then you need 10% isopropanol by volume. So a 325 litre tank of water needs 32 litres of Isoprop to stop it freezing.

The o/p back in 2017 didn't post an accurate fact.

A dash in the water is fine for cleaning, but not necessary.

You can’t add too much iso to your water as it is alcohol and evaporates
Doesn’t matter how much it bubbles it will leave windows spotless
When very cold I’ve been know to shove a litre in a 400l tank
The only side effect is spotless frames
Any tips for buying iso in reasonable quantities i.e. 1 litre? Only places I have seen it seems quite expensive?

Just dont combine it with a gas heater???
We got really cold weather these days over in scandinavia,had down to -7 and worked fine with my gasheater. Then just an Oil radiator throug the night. And yeah! I know its a risky kind of heater, but i check the lines every month for leaks, and have been using it many years with no issues. Gotta be careful thoug.

Any tips for buying iso in reasonable quantities i.e. 1 litre? Only places I have seen it seems quite expensive?
I bought a small 500 ml bottle from the chemist. I wanted it for cleaning some electronic components about 24 years ago. The lady at our local Boots chemist wanted to know what I wanted it for. Thinking that was a rather stupid question to ask a then 'respectable' Saltburn resident, I replied, "to drink it."
She then refused to sell it to me, even when I told her I was joking.
Ended up buying it from Boots in Guisborough. When asked what I was going to use it for, I refrained from my previous response. ?

We continued to have dealings with Boots in Saltburn as they were the only chemist. Over the years, we realized that this lady had zero sense of humour or people facing skills. She retired about 5 years ago. Another ******** opened up in town and we changed to that as soon as they opened.

I bought a small 500 ml bottle from the chemist. I wanted it for cleaning some electronic components about 24 years ago. The lady at our local Boots chemist wanted to know what I wanted it for. Thinking that was a rather stupid question to ask a then 'respectable' Saltburn resident, I replied, "to drink it."
Ended up buying it from Boots in Guisborough. When asked what I was going to use it for, I refrained from my previous response. ?

We continued to have dealings with Boots in Saltburn as they were the only chemist. Over the years, we realized that this lady had zero sense of humour or people facing skills. She retired about 5 years ago. Another ******** opened up in town and we changed to that as soon as they opened.

I'm not sure why chemist was censored in my above post.

BTW, I still have the original bottle with some isopropyl left. I've just found it. It was manufactured in 1997 and expired in 2000. ??

Used some the other day to clean the fob pads on the wife's central locking fob for her car. It still works fine.

I'm not sure why chemist was censored in my above post.

BTW, I still have the original bottle with some isopropyl left. I've just found it. It was manufactured in 1997 and expired in 2000. ??

Used some the other day to clean the fob pads on the wife's central locking fob for her car. It still works fine.
I have a very small amount left in a 1 litre bottle that is 32 years old!! I too use it for cleaning electronic components but I think I originally got it to clean tape heads. Over the years it's been very useful for all sorts.
I could do with some more as It would be good to do a final bodywork clean before I apply some signs to my van.

I have a very small amount left in a 1 litre bottle that is 32 years old!! I too use it for cleaning electronic components but I think I originally got it to clean tape heads. Over the years it's been very useful for all sorts.
I could do with some more as It would be good to do a final bodywork clean before I apply some signs to my van.
Oh, the memories! VHS tape deck and car radio cassette player head cleaning. How things have changed.

Last edited:
This has worked well for me this week, but I've not wasted any putting it in my tank

Attachments

• PXL_20240110_172534378.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240110_172534378.MP.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 8
Back