Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Taking another windies work

1393jason

Hi All,

So I have been doing the usual posting in facebook like I think the majority of you do and picking up the odd customer from it. I made a post in a new group that only had around 200 members or so, anyway I got about 20 quote requests come through from this one post all on one or two streets so nice and compact.

I go around to do the quotes and managed to convert 14 of the 20 speaking to the customers the current windie has not been around for about a year as he has hurt is back.

Now I am starting to get the impression and the feeling that as soon as the old windie comes back I will be ditched.

Question is, do I continue on as normal doing the best possible job and hoping he a: never comes back or b: if he does come back hope that the customers stick with me and canvas the area like crazy?

B all the way dont focus on the what ifs, do a good job so he'll have to fight to get them back. I know of a windy who didnt clean windows for 18 months, tried to come back, out of 400 he got 25 back.

I've been in a similar situation with a village near me. He's been off for nearly a year, I got a load of his work over the past 12 months, since he came back last month I he has only gotten 1 of them back from me.

This is a business, not a charity, he's not your mate, he does not pay your bills nor put food on your table, I have said this a dozen times on here. He does not own the customers and neither do you, it's open season, regardless of why he is off if you are doing quality work then there is nothing to stress about, they will stay with you just for convenience.

Like the others Said , just focus on your own work . I wouldt even consider if there once were another guy .. We all Pick up from others . My policy is , "if they want a qoute , Then they are not happy with their current provider ." The only ones i dont Pick up, are my brothers work . All others go under my mentioned policy .

canvass definitely, its your work now, a year is too long to miss he should of got someone to cover it now & again to keep it running & given out an explanation letter to his custies. if he comes back & you do lose a few , well you got them free so its all profitt eh.

i've been getting work as their lad hasn't been for 9 months & last week he was at a job when i rolled up & started telling me bs i said no probs go & ask the custies ,which he did & they wanted to keep me. the story is more complicated than that but similar to @1393jason

Thanks for the feedback guys. Some very good points, I will be out canvassing the area like mad next week as I am sensing money is to be made /emoticons/smile.png

Agree,focus on what your doing there and hopefully they'll stick with you. Probably the longer you do their cleans the less likely he will get this work back.

Same happened to me,and I lost two or three back to a guy who'd been off for ages with a broken wrist or something. However, the ones I never lost were all those I'd managed to do more than one clean of, before he came back...they grow familiar with you,is what I'm saying.

Latest Posts

Back