Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Did my first ever WFP clean today...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Cleanz

And it was a right mess lol.

Luckily it was only practice on my windows (town house). I did the frames over about 3 times on each window - gave all the windows a good scrub and rinsed each window twice but it's not only littered with runs and spotting but a lot of it looks like I haven't even cleaned it : smears around the edges, kind of like if you scrim fairy on a hot day and what looks like fine dust still on the windows.

I know it's going to take some time to get used to, I've watched so many videos/read threads on here, not gonna get disheartened but would like to rectify it asap as I had planned to go out and use it on Monday.

Also, I seem to be using a tonne of water (Gardiners backpack), went through 2x 25l drums just doing my house - I only have 7 25l drums! So I'm going to need a shed load.... I guess to start with I could just WFP tops and trad downstairs to save some water but still...

Any ideas where I'm going wrong/what I could do

hey you just put me right off wfp......hope it works out i am just lurking and learning at the mo....will let you do the hard work and then i may commit....

Once I learn the ropes, I'll do you a specially designed course. I warn you though I don't come cheap /emoticons/wink.png

Funny enough, same thing happened to me today. weather fine, TDS fine runs everywhere,not fine!!!! Any suggestions, reasonably new to WFP.HELP

Start with the obvious how pure is your water ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start with the obvious how pure is your water ?

It's 000ppm, I did make it a couple of weeks back but stored in the garage and made sure it's 0 before starting.

Right no problem there then. What sort of frames ? Was the water running of a milky colour

Upvc plastic frames. Odd you should say about the milky colour, it did run milky on one of the windows but that was only like for the first scrub- it was then clear after that. Didn't notice it on any of the other windows.

A quick easy test to do before you start is to just lick yea finger and rub the frame if you get a white mark on your finger you know your going to get it running on to the glass. If thats the case what I usually do is wash the frame rinse the glass move onto the next couple of frames then go back to the first and wash the glass only then rinse, rinse and more rinse and try not to wet the frame.

this problem seems to be fairly common since all the storms since xmas and it seems to be leaving a greasy film on the glass which is next to impossible to clean with pure only , so i check the glass on each job now and if its greasy i treat as a deep clean with a good scrub with some ubix and its comes up great

had first clean to do yesterday frames really dirty and glass really bad

decided to clean the lot first with ecover dipped brush in bucket then cleaned the lot

hayho half the work and time gave them good rinse came up good

A quick easy test to do before you start is to just lick yea finger and rub the frame if you get a white mark on your finger you know your going to get it running on to the glass. If thats the case what I usually do is wash the frame rinse the glass move onto the next couple of frames then go back to the first and wash the glass only then rinse, rinse and more rinse and try not to wet the frame.

so rinse them three times eh

Yeah I had read that somewhere, frames didn't give off any white marks but I did go over them 3 times anyway but not using the technique you mentioned - I just did it all at once, then next window etc.

With regard to the runs, I do have vents above every window I did give them a thorough going over so no idea but I guess that will be the same technique again (move on to another window and come back and rinse.

Cheers fellas also gonna try some Ecover, if I can pick it up locally tomorrow recon that could be one of the probs. What you guys do? Just put same amount in bucket you normally would for trad? Or more.

Thought I'd update this as I got some Ecover and tried going over the windows again today. So, I made up a bucket of Ecover dipped in the bucket, re-did the frames first, then windows and rinsed thoroughly. They are definately better but still not there, still smeary around the tops and some runs, also spotting still going on. Not sure if it's relevant to anything but after rinsing the little droplets of water seem to sit on the window for a long time. As I say I don't know whether this is normal, as it's first time using WFP.

I also have another issue relating to my DI, topped up the pure water I used yesterday which was tested as 000ppm to clean the windows, but after I thought I'd just re-top up a couple of barrels. About half way through I noticed it started to creep up to 007ppm. I gave it a shake and tested water again, but now it's coming out as 23ppm and I can't take it down. I've only made a few hundred litres of pure with this DI, so somethings got to be up somewhere.

If anyone can advise I'd really appreciate it..

Some positives today were that I've started to get the hang of the settings on the backpack, I must have had it on full yesterday, now got it on setting 1 with about half power, and I really love the Gardiners SLX-30, seems like a quality piece of kit /emoticons/smile.png

Thought I'd update this as I got some Ecover and tried going over the windows again today. So, I made up a bucket of Ecover dipped in the bucket, re-did the frames first, then windows and rinsed thoroughly. They are definately better but still not there, still smeary around the tops and some runs, also spotting still going on. Not sure if it's relevant to anything but after rinsing the little droplets of water seem to sit on the window for a long time. As I say I don't know whether this is normal, as it's first time using WFP.
I also have another issue relating to my DI, topped up the pure water I used yesterday which was tested as 000ppm to clean the windows, but after I thought I'd just re-top up a couple of barrels. About half way through I noticed it started to creep up to 007ppm. I gave it a shake and tested water again, but now it's coming out as 23ppm and I can't take it down. I've only made a few hundred litres of pure with this DI, so somethings got to be up somewhere.

If anyone can advise I'd really appreciate it..

Some positives today were that I've started to get the hang of the settings on the backpack, I must have had it on full yesterday, now got it on setting 1 with about half power, and I really love the Gardiners SLX-30, seems like a quality piece of kit /emoticons/smile.png
Re the water purity, what did you put the water in to test it. Don't use your bucket to test your pure as it will have left over soap etc in it. Is your flow coming out the di the right way? Is your TDS meter dodgy?

Re the water purity, what did you put the water in to test it. Don't use your bucket to test your pure as it will have left over soap etc in it. Is your flow coming out the di the right way? Is your TDS meter dodgy?
Hi Tuffers, water went back into an empty drum (that had previously had 000ppm water in). I was then testing it straight from the DI hose when I got a reading of 20ppm. I have since shaken again (a few times!) but still getting 006ppm at best. I did check the flow and yes it was fine (coming out the right way), TDS meter seems fine, still reporting the other drums I made last week (stored in my garage) as 000ppm.

*Long post warning*

Went out today WFP for the first time, started cleaning customer (old woman, but still with it, cleaned her since I went self employed (5 years). Told her I had a new system and would clean her frames as well, she said she was all up for it. Brilliant!

So started cleaning. Did a few windows and got to her front door, didn't even think (guess I'm too used to trad!) cleaned her front door and soaked half her door mat. Bugger ,never mind I thought, will put it to one side and let it dry off. Was just about to grab a scrim and dry outside her front door when she came out, had a bit of a moan about the door mat and the amount of water by the front door. I apologised, mopped it with a scrim and steered the convo away from it. Things seemed okay when she closed the door but I literally went round side gate and did a side door (no mat or anything out there) had just started the upstairs at the side when I saw the side door start opening.

Here's how the convo went :

Me - "Hello again"

Her - "Oh no, I can't have this, stop!"

Me - "Sorry?"

Her - "Can you stop doing it?"

Me - "Er... okay, no problem"

Her - "I'm sorry, you've soaked my front door mat, why would you do that?!"

Me - "I do apologise, genuine mistake, I didn't mean to do it, I have already apologised"

Her - "And I would hope so too! What am I meant to do with it now?!, how can I dry it off?"

Me - "I'll hang it up for you, will dry off fairly quickly I should think"

Her - "Don't be ridiculous"

Her - "I don't like this "thing" at all your making everything soaking wet!"

Me - "It's only a bit of water on the concrete, I'm a bit confused - when I told you about what I would be doing, you said it was okay"

Her - "Yes but I didn't know it would make this much mess"

Me - "It's not mess, it's water - pure water in fact, it will dry soon"

Me - "Look if you want me to do your windows in the traditional method I can do"

Her - "Well, anything but this "thing" - I think your "banana's" for using it"

Me - "It's actually a more modern method of window cleaning, there's nothing wrong with it."

Her - "Well, I suggest you get your money back, you've been ripped off"

Me - "I haven't been ripped off, there's plenty of window cleaners using it these days"

Her - "Well, I've never heard of it"

Her - "I think we should part ways"

Me - "Bit extreem over a front door mat, considering I've been cleaning for you for 5 years presumably being a happy customer?

Her - "Well yes I was happy until today!"

Me - "So one mistake in 5 years and it's goodbye?"

Her - "Well it's a pretty big one!"

Me - "Not really, anyway I'll get my stuff and leave"

Bearing in mind this is a customer I've done various jobs for over the years - cheap gutter cleaning and also helped her out for free (mending broken cupboard, offered her a free tv when her's went on the blink). Cantankerous old ****.

Anyway I cleaned another 4 houses in the same road today, two of them seemed to dry very well (one had a big run on one of the downstairs which I polished out with a scrim). I had to trad the back of one, because of no access it was easier for me to go over with ladders than carry the backpack/pole.

The other two houses I made sure I gave them a damn good going over, using Ecover on frames and windows. It was only when I was doing the last house that I noticed the one before had loads of white runs on the downstairs windows, but I couldn't rectify it because they had someone coming to view the house! I did tell them beforehand to contact me if any problems, so fingers crossed they won't just chuck me. All in all it took me 4.5 hours to clean 5 houses today /emoticons/ohmy.png

Lets hope tomorrow is a better day lol.

Back