Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Why I always charge double for the first clean...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

TolishAPurd

Phone call this evening....

Liar- "Hi, I'm looking to have my windows cleaned, can I have a quote please?"

Me- "Hi, sure. Can you tell me a little about your house please. how many bedrooms, windows, doors etc?"

Liar- "3 bedroom ....blah ...blah... blah"

Me- "Ok. Have you had them cleaned before, and are you after a regular clean?"

Liar- "Well we just moved in so no.... (I can hear husband in the background telling her to say 'yes')

.....Um,um, ..but we had a window cleaner before! (this was in here last house so it was irrelevent)".

...and we might (yeah right) want a regular clean.

Me- "Ok, let me just tally up a quote from the info you just gave me. The quotes I give on the phone are usually accurate, but if when I get there I see its going to be a little more, or even less, I'll let you know before I start work. Does that sound fair?"

Liar- "Yes, fine".

Me- "Ok, it'll be £32 for your first clean, and just £16 for every clean after that".

Liar- "Oh, but the other window cleaner (WFP) we spoke to said it would be £20".

BUSTED

Well surely that means my quote is cheaper then???? ...unless, she was just after the one clean. By the way, this cleaner was due to turn up for the first (and only) clean today but didnt, even though the weather was beautiful. LOL, I guess you can't get cheaper then someone not turning up!

Shes probably calling some other poor sap right now, only this time shes got her story straight.

Young, keen window cleaners just starting out....Please, please, please, charge double on the first clean.

-Honest people that would not even dream of stealing from a shop, would not think twice about shorting a tradesman just so they can save a few pounds.

Anyone that plans on being a regular customer will not mind paying more for the first clean, since they have saved loads by not having them cleaned for so long. ...think about it. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Had one exactly the same ring me tonight. 'We are renting and need windows cleaned.' Me, do you want a regular clean? 'Well, we'll have them cleaned and see how it goes.' Me, see ya. I didn't actually say that, but I won't be bothering going to quote it.

Yep, I think the first Wcleaner she called thought the same too. The problem is that they get wise to it and lie through thier teeth to some poor lad that will work his **** off to get those windows perfect, for a measley £12 or whatever that he is charging. I suppose everyones got to learn somehow, but its not a trick I'll fall for. Its very easy to spot these people now.

Phone call this evening....
Liar- "Hi, I'm looking to have my windows cleaned, can I have a quote please?"

Me- "Hi, sure. Can you tell me a little about your house please. how many bedrooms, windows, doors etc?"

Liar- "3 bedroom ....blah ...blah... blah"

Me- "Ok. Have you had them cleaned before, and are you after a regular clean?"

Liar- "Well we just moved in so no.... (I can hear husband in the background telling her to say 'yes')

.....Um,um, ..but we had a window cleaner before! (this was in here last house so it was irrelevent)".

...and we might (yeah right) want a regular clean.

Me- "Ok, let me just tally up a quote from the info you just gave me. The quotes I give on the phone are usually accurate, but if when I get there I see its going to be a little more, or even less, I'll let you know before I start work. Does that sound fair?"

Liar- "Yes, fine".

Me- "Ok, it'll be £32 for your first clean, and just £16 for every clean after that".

Liar- "Oh, but the other window cleaner (WFP) we spoke to said it would be £20".

BUSTED

Well surely that means my quote is cheaper then???? ...unless, she was just after the one clean. By the way, this cleaner was due to turn up for the first (and only) clean today but didnt, even though the weather was beautiful. LOL, I guess you can't get cheaper then someone not turning up!

Shes probably calling some other poor sap right now, only this time shes got her story straight.

Young, keen window cleaners just starting out....Please, please, please, charge double on the first clean.

-Honest people that would not even dream of stealing from a shop, would not think twice about shorting a tradesman just so they can save a few pounds.

Anyone that plans on being a regular customer will not mind paying more for the first clean, since they have saved loads by not having them cleaned for so long. ...think about it. /emoticons/biggrin.png
I had canvassed a small scheme where there is a collection of bungalows couple of weeks ago. One person said most people in the scheme use a karcher window cleaner themselves and they were thinking of getting one, they were not interested in my services, but friendly. Managed to get one person that showed interest. The man usually does windows himself, but asked for a quote. I am quite new so probably made an error in pricing. The windows were not that dirty, so quoted £10 hoping that it would take half an hour, was wanting to say £12, but the area is known for being a bit tight. The man puffed the cheeks and said £8, we both said that we will go for it and see how it goes. Went back today to do the clean and was speaking away to the wife who came out halfway through the job. I highlighted that the frames always get a clean. There was one window on the garage side door, which I thought I would clean when passing, funnily enough she had asked if I would clean that window( gave myself a pat on the back). I hinted that her husband had bartered me down from £10 to £8, and would prefer £10. Ch ching the nice lady gave me £10. I was happy, she was happy. Hopefully, they will talk to the neighbours and will drum up some business for me when I return and the karcher window cleaning machine can stay in its box and out of charge. Maybe I could buy one myself if I get some more customers there. Got another new customer today charged £15 for first clean (as filthy), then £10 after that, she was happy with that cost, did take me an hour all in, so £5 short of what I aim to make an hour. Its all a learning curve. Happy days.

I had canvassed a small scheme where there is a collection of bungalows couple of weeks ago. One person said most people in the scheme use a karcher window cleaner themselves and they were thinking of getting one, they were not interested in my services, but friendly. Managed to get one person that showed interest. The man usually does windows himself, but asked for a quote. I am quite new so probably made an error in pricing. The windows were not that dirty, so quoted £10 hoping that it would take half an hour, was wanting to say £12, but the area is known for being a bit tight. The man puffed the cheeks and said £8, we both said that we will go for it and see how it goes. Went back today to do the clean and was speaking away to the wife who came out halfway through the job. I highlighted that the frames always get a clean. There was one window on the garage side door, which I thought I would clean when passing, funnily enough she had asked if I would clean that window( gave myself a pat on the back). I hinted that her husband had bartered me down from £10 to £8, and would prefer £10. Ch ching the nice lady gave me £10. I was happy, she was happy. Hopefully, they will talk to the neighbours and will drum up some business for me when I return and the karcher window cleaning machine can stay in its box and out of charge. Maybe I could buy one myself if I get some more customers there. Got another new customer today charged £15 for first clean (as filthy), then £10 after that, she was happy with that cost, did take me an hour all in, so £5 short of what I aim to make an hour. Its all a learning curve. Happy days.
You keep at it mate :thumbsup:

hmmm, first of all dont forget the different parts of the country we all work in as the prices do vary ...i was on a first clean today...but it wasnt that straight forward as it came from another of my customers and it was his ex wife....so he knew what i charged him in the first place so you have to be careful....

no price was discussed before i started.....so we add in, can you just remove the ivy my husband couldnt reach....can you do the insides of the kitchen slide type doors, can you do the inside of the velux...can you just clean the greenhouse roof....

anyway....i wanted all the other houses as she promised me all her neighbours...and they are in the middle of nowhere....so i got stuck in and said a tenner..she was happy ...i was happyish and i have all the neighbours to do next thursday..so the neighbour said how much do you charge...and i know people on here dont like the next bit.

..i said ...the same as the other guy....who left in november....and he said oh .£6 then.....

well some people on here say thats not the way to go but if thats what they paid before and i believe them ....its a guide...i may up it a bit depends on what is involved...if i dont like all the jobs they will be sold off....eventually...but i may like them i dont know...they werent too dirty bearing in mind they had the great storm muck still on them.

who cares really ...its all work ...and i be very busy...and i did get a cuppa.../emoticons/smile.png

yep i used to have a custy of a certain religion who phoned me up and said can you pick me up a pound of onions on your way here.....hmmmmm

also dragged me back to move a table....and her poor husband....who couldnt wait to get away in the morning....handed me a couple of quid because he knew i would get nowt off her....

not saying which religion but my dad couldnt get the money on a friday night as they were not allowed to use money or something like that....but of course he used to charge a hell of a lot more in the first place so it didnt matter.....mind you ...he just said ...i can take a cheque...

"Can you just" LOL.

To be answered with; "I'm afraid I havnt got time for that today as I'm already running behind, but I can come back and do it next week, <short pause> ...it shouldnt cost too much. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Funny enough, the job is always done by the time you come back.

"Can you just" LOL.
To be answered with; "I'm afraid I havnt got time for that today as I'm already running behind, but I can come back and do it next week, <short pause> ...it shouldnt cost too much. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Funny enough, the job is always done by the time you come back.
as in ......do a runner..

Not a runner, its just to let them know (subtley) that you don't mind doing the work, but there is always a price to be paid no matter how small. When I buy something from tescos, I don't grab a choccy bar and say, "can I just take this without paying??"

yep some people like to get a little extra............and then you get some old dear that will give you money out of her pension just to do some simple job like change a light bulb...i suppose some people seize upon my soft nature but i be on here now and learning fast...they wouldnt get away with it from my lad....me thinks i will adapt the tolish method now....:whistle:

Customers will say and agree to anything when they have dirty windows, my sentiments are everyone is considered a 1 off until proven innocent. This way your never disappointed. :laugh:

yep some people like to get a little extra............and then you get some old dear that will give you money out of her pension just to do some simple job like change a light bulb...i suppose some people seize upon my soft nature but i be on here now and learning fast...they wouldnt get away with it from my lad....me thinks i will adapt the tolish method now....:whistle:
You can't teach an old dog new tricks though cnc. You have dug your own grave over the years /emoticons/smile.png At least they see us as approachable to ask :thumbsup:

yes it is hard to alter my soft nature...just wish i was like my lad....hes a bit of a barsteward but he has the golden touch....when he was at school he made a bit of money selling laptops on fleabay...so i saw the money and copied him....didnt work for me....i faffed about too much...still its saturday tomoz...he he he ....wheres pussy hiding....

It used to be called the Smurf method until he got all soft and started giving away free cleans...

But seriously, I don't mind the little very quick things, and believe me I have been a soft touch over the years. But it really is a situation you need to have control over otherwise it gets out of hand- the onions story is a classic (but funny) case of just how far you shouldnt let someone take advantage.

It used to be called the Smurf method until he got all soft and started giving away free cleans...
Aaaaa!.....but to fair to Smurf, he only does 'the FREE clean thing' when his medication has run-out :rofl: .

Last edited by a moderator:
a good way to catch them out is before you give a price first say "do u want a monthly clean or just a 1 off ? " [ say the" just a 1 off "cheerfully }

a genuine regular wont hesitate and will say monthly straightaway but somebody who humms and hahs is likely going to be a 1 off , i price these higher even if they say mmm we will give monthly a go .

a good way to catch them out is before you give a price first say "do u want a monthly clean or just a 1 off ? " [ say the" just a 1 off "cheerfully }
Agreed, I do this already. But regardless, everyone pays double if the windows are showing even just 8 weeks of dirt.

My only exceptions are;

Last window cleaner sacked off the month before.

Customer has had new windows.

well I did my own windows today inside & out without taking me meds frst so thought....hmmm that's really a first clean so I charged me missus double :confused:/emoticons/biggrin.png

Back