Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie thinking of starting up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Rob Phillips

Hi guys , been reading all the info on here for about 2 weeks . The advice you all give so freely is amazing ! I'm currently in full time employment but after a recent ' scare ' of our factory shutting I'm getting out .

I have no qualifications and I'm thinking of starting my own round here in Wales . Going to get some business cards printed , then maybe start on weekends first and see how I go ( gulp ) . Going to practise first on my house and friends before I even attempt going public . Just about ready to order the starter list I saw on here . Then roof rack and ladders . I'm sure I'm going to be picking your brains over the next few weeks !

hi and welcome...yes loads of stuff on here....the reason we give it is that we dont want you to make the mistakes we have already painfully made!

dont forget window rounds are sold on here and fleabay if they are local to you maybe the fastest way in..

..i do remember when i got married and decided to leave working for my dad even though i had already been doing windows with him since 14 how scary it was at first ....but i asked my daughter if she was scared starting her new job and she said you bet....do remember the custy doesnt know how long you have been working and the facts you can acquire on here will greatly speed the learning curve up.

good luck with your future and if you get stuck someone on here will gladly help you on your way....and i am of course still learning after thirty plus years cleaning windows....../emoticons/smile.png

Welcome Rob. Loads of info here. Where in Wales are you as my mates dad lives in north Wales and is knocking on a bit and might need some help. I don't know if he needs any help, but you never know.

Thank you for the advice ! I've been doing a bit of calculation and as long as I can get 3 - 4 customers an hour then I will take home approximately what I make now , do you think this is feasible starting out ? I'm going to get business cards printed and flyers before I start the dreaded canvassing !

Welcome Rob. Loads of info here. Where in Wales are you as my mates dad lives in north Wales and is knocking on a bit and might need some help. I don't know if he needs any help, but you never know.
I'm in South Wales

Thank you for the advice ! I've been doing a bit of calculation and as long as I can get 3 - 4 customers an hour then I will take home approximately what I make now , do you think this is feasible starting out ? I'm going to get business cards printed and flyers before I start the dreaded canvassing !
yes but it doesnt always work to plan im afraid....some custys like a gab...some give you a cuppa....sometimes they park in the way....the dogs are out...or rabbits or don't forget my favorite on here the clucking hens....many things can spoil your plan and of course most important of all, the great british weather...as in ...will it rain ...or wont it..:eek:

not that i want to put you off or anything.....but it isnt all roses in bloom..and by the way they can be a swine too.....

Depends on the size of the house. Even just starting out I don't think you could do 3 - 4 small houses in an hour. Times that by 7 hours = 21/28 a day, times that by 5 days = 105/140 a week, times that by 1 month = 420/560 houses in total you will need on your books to earn what you do now. Some food for thought there mate.

Welcome to the world of window cleaning, it aint as easy as it seems.

Thank

Depends on the size of the house. Even just starting out I don't think you could do 3 - 4 small houses in an hour. Times that by 7 hours = 21/28 a day, times that by 5 days = 105/140 a week, times that by 1 month = 420/560 houses in total you will need on your books to earn what you do now. Some food for thought there mate.
Welcome to the world of window cleaning, it aint as easy as it seems.
Thanks for the heads up !To be brutally honest in the job I'm in now a flat month with no overtime I take home £1580 a month for 38.5 hours a week , 3 shifts Nights Mornings Afternoons . I'm not going to walk out and hope to get customers , I'm going to practise practise practise , then try weekends first to see if I've got what it takes . It's just such a dramatic change to my life being my own boss that I'm a bit worried . I'm no shrinking violet I'm 40 years old but fit , been in charge of a 15 million pound machine for 10 years but this is my last chance in my eyes to make something of myself that I feel I've achieved .

Go for it! You only get one chance in this life. How does the land lie in your area, is there a shortage of window cleaners that you know of? One thing I always take note of when driving about is vans/cars with ladders on the roof. I'll think, ahh yeah I know him the p***k or oh yeah it's so and so and pip the horn or who the f**k is that new bloke, never seen him before. I'm waffling aren't I /emoticons/biggrin.png

Any chance of redundancy in your job? Hold out for it before you make the big jump.

I've been living in my house for 6 years and in that time one WFP company has been around , but all our windows are French top and bottom back and front . I would like to start off traditionally first , then maybe invest in a WFP a bit later if I can . There's one window cleaner who does the main drag but very rarely see him about . There is also one who's the obligatory alcoholic who cleans them with a rag then goes to the pub ! I'm getting a uniform ( once I've thought up a name ) before I canvass so I look more professional . Only Dr Squeegee around here does that but never see him either . Agree that you're only here once , I've budgeted myself £400 to start off just using my car . But I will start weekends first then save that up to cover 3 months mortgage , then maybe take a sickie in work for a few weeks and test the water .

I think this area is ripe for picking if you go about it professional , but I could be wrong !

I've also based my calculations on £1 a window , average £5 a house . So if charge £6 a house I'm already up , then if I can get any commercial work as well . Got to be better than being in a factory 8hrs a day ?

ThankThanks for the heads up !To be brutally honest in the job I'm in now a flat month with no overtime I take home £1580 a month for 38.5 hours a week , 3 shifts Nights

i am afraid i would urge caution. /emoticons/sad.png..there is a lot of competition out there and it takes a long long time to build up a good round.....income is not static....it is very variable...be ill and you've had it....have a holiday and you feel very guilty and worry about your round....and are you letting mrs jones down at no 93 who wanted them cleaning as the vicar is coming around for tea.?

..and its no use having bits and bobs all over the place as it will send you mad ....a nice compact full street is what we all want...start at one end and you're off...in and out of the car tends to leave you open to the" just have five minutes temptation"....so lets move to the pros..(no norm,not that type)

if you start off as planned at the weekend you get to test the water with no risk..no wfp pun intended.. and at the end of it all ....if you want to get out you can sell the round and equip on very easy and so you can not really lose.. the main pro for me is and always will be as jock said in the garage...

.i m the boss.... thats not to say that s always a good thing ...sometimes you have to push push push.... but we windys love an early finish if poss and start when you like ...go where you like total freedom...

.of course weather permitting.... and yes gotta be better than 8 hours a day stuck in a factory ...but having a mortgage and regular money in the bank.....makes you think twice...don't forget the two previous winters that i personally was laid up for two months....well i could have worked...but i went out on request slipping all over the place down the road to a bungalow in nice bright sunshine ...but -9.:gush:...it not so good on the windows when you get the pretty pattern that forms and you can't get it off.... you sound really intelligent so i figure you will work it out ...but please most of all let us know how you get on...../emoticons/smile.png

Yes , the variability is the part that scares me most at the moment . I'm already gaining valuable knowledge from you professionals which is much appreciated . Practised on my patio doors today for 2 hours just to get the feel of it ( not as easy as you lads make it look that's for sure ! ) But I'm sure I will be found lurking about on here picking people's brains for the next couple of weeks before I even consider trying to clean a strangers house . You guys have given me some good stuff to think about already thank you very much , will def keep you posted after I get my proper kit and practised the dark art of not leaving streaks everywhere

Yes , the variability is the part that scares me most at the moment . I'm already gaining valuable knowledge from you professionals which is much appreciated . Practised on my patio doors today for 2 hours just to get the feel of it ( not as easy as you lads make it look that's for sure ! ) But I'm sure I will be found lurking about on here picking people's brains for the next couple of weeks before I even consider trying to clean a strangers house . You guys have given me some good stuff to think about already thank you very much , will def keep you posted after I get my proper kit and practised the dark art of not leaving streaks everywhere

yes i am afraid i quite often lose the art of blading the window...many factors are involved but some days my wrist just isnt up to the job

...and a new blade is a pleasure to use but as it wears you compensate by increasing the pressure to not leave streaks and sometimes it just doesnt work.

..these days i just get a new blade and start afresh meaning to sort the old blade later which of course i never do..../emoticons/smile.png any way sometimes its just a question of what ever gets you through the day is alright alright...to quote the late great jlennon....by the way if you are ever up here feel free to come and practise on my windows.....he he ...dey be pretty manky..:eek:

How about 'Red Dragon Window Cleaning' as your company name, seeing as you're in Wales. The customers might like the sound of that /emoticons/smile.png

Tell a lie , the double glazing is called Dragon Windows . No Red Dragon window cleaners or double glazing here ! I owe you a pint sir

Back